Notices

Quitting on New Years. Final Blowout?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting on New Years. Final Blowout?

I'm planning on quitting for 2011. I made the decision to quit nearly a month a go now, but i've kept drinking just because I didn't really want to ruin christmas for my family by declaring myself an alcoholic and making it into a big drama.

My question is, should I go out with a bang tonight and get myself as drunk as possible? Just so i'll remember the last time I had a drink with less than fond memories or should I not drink? Do you guys even remember the last drink you had?
Old 12-30-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I remember my last drinking escapade all too clearly. It was awful and I was sick as a dog for days. If I were you, I wouldn't "go out with a bang" as it could be your "last" time for doing anything. You may not make it back cause you never know what will happen when you start drinking, especially if you're drinking to get "as drunk as you can". I'd just quit now so you don't become a sad statistic for New Years.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well...I remember my last swallow of wine...it took me close to half an hour to make myself drink it...this was after a hard 24 hours of drinking.

I tried to quit drinking for New Years a couple of times...always figured id have a big final blow out the night before...problem was I would wake up with a half a bottle of champagne in the house....couldn't let that go to waste...so it never worked for me.

Good luck and Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When should an alcoholic quit, before drinking, or after drinking?

Well, everytime you put the booze away, you have quit drinking. But have you quit alcohol, or just drinking for now?

I'm guessing we've all had many hang-overs to draw the memory from. Another isn't really needed, is it? How many other hangovers will it take to make you quit? Well... I don't think it takes a hangover at all. It just takes never drinking again.

When you are ready to quit, you will. There will be support here for sure. This place is filled with it.

What ever you do, make it a final thing that you will be passionate about.

Good luck. You can do it!!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

I remember my last drink. It was pretty much the same as all the others, same as it always had been, it didn't achieve any memorable status for me.

The problem a lot of people have with making special plans for drinking is that special plans will always creep up. Also kind of suggests that you think sobriety would be an improvement for things, but that an improvement is not cause to celebrate.

But I don't know, whatever you opt for the rest of 2010, if you want a sober 2011 this is a good place to be.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is your call Mister. Just don't end up in jail..or worse..the hospital. Or worse.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I changed my mind. Start sobriety now.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I agree with the others: why start 2011 off being sick (or in the hospital, or jail, or worse)? If you're wanting to quit, you must have plenty of reasons already. I didn't want to find out what my "bottom" was, and you don't have to either.

In other words: There are lots of people who don't remember their last drink, if you know what I mean. Be good to yourself!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sqpr

welcome

Blowouts never worked for me - I either woke up still drunk...or very hungover - either way I figured I'd keep drinking...

take the leap to a new life now is my advice

D
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick responses guys. In a way I think it might be good to start the new year with a clear head. I guess the "this is your last chance" feeling is a symptom of the addiction or something.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you change your mind, why not plan a brisk walk right before the crack of dawn, rain sleet of snow. Walking straight won't be a problem. Let the son rise on the first dawn of the year, on a Saturday morning, with your feet planted firmly on the ground. Get home from the walk and fix yourself a huge, outstanding breakfast, coffee while half the world (NOT US here) wake up feeling garbage.

Just remember, a Happy New Year is happier when you don't feel like garbage.

That said, DO TRY to arrange to have a Happy New Year. LOL
Old 12-30-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That sounds really good to me. I will be alone for new years no matter what. There's no way its going to be happy but a walk in the morning sounds like a good way to kick off a new chapter in my life.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Deciding for yourself to not drink (as opposed to having us decide...) will empower you! My thought is that anyone here who does not drink will not encourage you to drink.

Happy End of Year!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think you ought to look at your statement about "declaring myself an alcoholic and making it into a big drama."

Why do you have to do that? Why not just quietly stop? If you feel the need to make it a big drama, it will be that much harder. It feels that making a big thing out of it is just another way to set yourself up for failure.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

To be honest, I doubt very much I could have 'scheduled' my 'bottom' on some appointment calendar.

When I found myself in that 'place' where I couldn't drink or drug anymore and I couldn't NOT drink or drug anymore at the same time, then...and ONLY then, I knew I was done. And what an awful place it was to be.

It's why I don't believe in New Year's resolutions.

This years resolution is that I never make a resolution again.

Oh crap! I blew it, didn't I? :rotfxko
Old 12-30-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spqr View Post
That sounds really good to me. I will be alone for new years no matter what. There's no way its going to be happy but a walk in the morning sounds like a good way to kick off a new chapter in my life.
Thanks to your post, I just realized... This will be my first New Years Sober too in... I couldn't even guess how many years. As a child is the closest I can get.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
I think you ought to look at your statement about "declaring myself an alcoholic and making it into a big drama."

Why do you have to do that? Why not just quietly stop? If you feel the need to make it a big drama, it will be that much harder. It feels that making a big thing out of it is just another way to set yourself up for failure.
I don't, I want to avoid the family drama. In fact, right now i'm scared of admitting to anyone that I have this problem. Everyone knows I like a few beers but they don't know how bad I actually am. Just refusing alcohol all together would have made them suspicious.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't, I want to avoid the family drama. In fact, right now i'm scared of admitting to anyone that I have this problem. Everyone knows I like a few beers but they don't know how bad I actually am. Just refusing alcohol all together would have made them suspicious.
I had to cut the chord. I no longer care who is suspicious. In my opinion my whole family is a bunch of suspicious charactors. They are the ones that raised me to think it is ok to drink for any occasion. So I don't. I quit. I don't mind being the Marilyn Munster in the group. Maybe someone will take my lead. Any bets???
Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm just ending day 4. New Years does feel like a challenge, but will hate myself if I blow it now. I'm committed. If you would like, I'll walk with you. We'll be states apart and you will see the sun first, but it will get to me within the hour. You are never really alone.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick responses guys. In a way I think it might be good to start the new year with a clear head. I guess the "this is your last chance" feeling is a symptom of the addiction or something.
That's not you trying to convince yourself for "one last blowout" . That's the part of your brain that will do anything to get its fix. And guess what, after you have this one last blow out, that part of your brain will start finding more excuses for you to drink. It's a never ending cycle in an addicts brain. If you become aware of your addictive voice, you can control it, and make the decision not to be a slave to addiction