Notices

Quitting on New Years. Final Blowout?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I remember the last drink I had, it was horrible.

Treat yourself tonight with good food and good friends, not the poison you're trying to leave behind.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I quit last New Years, made it five months, white knucked it, didnt know about PAWS, this time I'm quitting New Years, except I will be active in AA, and on here, I have it book marked where and when the nearest meetings are, the last two nights, I have averaged about 6 beers so I hope that means I am mentally preparing myself, I wish everyone else who is quitting good luck.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Don't drink. My last drink ended up being a 9 day drinking binge. I'm lucky to be alive.

Ring in the new year sober and clear headed. I doubt you will regret it.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Everytime I planned on getting wasted to celebrate New Years, I was staggering around, half conscious or passed out by midnight. And I called that celebrating a happy new year. Makes one think a little. Out before midnight and up some time after noon, feeling like I want to puke, but can't and unable to eat, or focus on anything because of guilty, depressed, woe is me sort of feelings that lasted past sunset on New Years day.

As for the family... If they ask you when you quit (at some point) just tell them (without further discussion on the topic) "I gave it up last year!"
Old 12-31-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I can't imagine anyone here suggesting it would be a good idea to get plastered tonight and I can't imagine anyone who thinks that even if you did that, somehow that would be your last time with a life of sobriety neatly carved out in front of you. Good on you for thinking about quitting and you found a good place for support. How about this, try NOT drinking tonight and then try not drinking the next day. Do this one day at a time and before long, you'll have weeks, then months, then years. But no sober person I ever talked to began their sobriety after a planned drunken escapade on New Years Eve. Speaking of which, this will be my third consecutive SOBER 12/31. Big up myself!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Tell them

I just tell people that I am on blood pressure medication for high blood pressure (which I am), and that I can't take alcohol with it.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

spqr. To me, it doesn't really matter. If you're ready to stop you'll stop and if you're not ready to stop you won't. The dates / New Year's resolution will not make any difference.

I wish you the best of luck. When I was drinking I "went out with a bang" nightly. The even made little difference. Have a good safe night...
Old 12-31-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I absolutely LOVE New Year's, I love the idea of starting with a clean slate. However, I'm not going to advocate getting drunk one last time. If you want to quit, quit NOW. No sense in scheduling it like it's an appointment or something. If you are going to be home anyway; why not get some snacks and watch movies? Drink some tea and post on SR to get you through the night.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Sometimes people don't make it back from their 'one last time'.. I almost didn't. I hope you reconsider. That sounds absolutely disastrous to me.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Sometimes people don't make it back from their 'one last time'.. I almost didn't. I hope you reconsider. That sounds absolutely disastrous to me.
I did reconsider in the end, sort of. I had 6 beers. Nothing to be proud of, but also not the complete blowout I had been considering. I did have to stop myself going out and buying more several times though, i'd get to the door and put my shoes on and then slap myself. I felt pretty stupid and crazy for doing that, but hey.

Anyway, thanks for the all the advice and support guys. Happy New Years.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope this year can be your year spqr

D
Old 12-31-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

OK, SPQR, maybe that is your last time then, I don't know. Sounds like you did well as far as refusing to go back out. I haven't put my shoes on with that intention in mind since I quit, and that's something that really amazed me about myself. Something changed.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

My last drink was October 2009, not long before the holiday season. But the last two Christmases haven't really bothered me. Especially not this time, after awhile you realize that a date is just a date... a number.