Notices

Went to court for my DUI today

Old 12-30-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, I definitely qualified, they waived the $20 application fee, but the public defender who spoke to me briefly in court said it would be about $200 total. Not allowing myself to worry about how we will pay for any of this, as everyone gets through it somehow. It just didn't go how I expected. Thought the Judge would read my letter, and send me to jail as per my request. The kids are out of town at their paternal Grandma's for Christmas break, so it would have been a perfect time to get it out of the way. I make plans and God laughs, right?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good luck with the outcome. I agree, counsel is the better choice. Not sure, but likelihood is you may get mandatory AA meetings to attend as well, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I attend one where some mandatory clients attend and they appreciate those who share, cause it gives them a chance to perhaps reconsider the direction their lives were presently on, even if they don't feel they are alcoholics, or just victims of circumstance.

I remember early on, when I was confused by certain sayings like 'don't leave before the miracle happens'.

Some other new guy sitting next to me was confused by this also, so I asked him what it meant. He looked at me and said...."I think it's when you get your license back!" :rotfxko

I can tell you this....and mark my words....if this was your first DUI....you don't NOT want to get a 3rd, 4th of 5th. From what I understand, this will seem like an oasis compared to the he11 they will put you through for multiple DUI offenses, not to mention a quite COSTLY one, too. Solution is really easy for anyone out there.

Don't drink and drive. For alcoholics.....don't drink....period.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I used to go to AA, I really liked the people there, but then I found Celebrate Recovery and for me, it was a better fit. Fortunately, Celebrate Recovery is a recognized and court approved alternative to AA where I live. I just wish CR had a treatment program (the pee test kind) because the ones you pay money to attend in this town are completely lacking in substance. I have been to 5 classes now with 4 different instructors and only in 1 class so far have the given us any education. (answers to the questions on the test we have to take to graduate) the other 4 classes, we just went around the room, introduced ourselves and why we were there. The instructors constantly look at the clock and have no structured plan. They also let us out 15-20 minutes early every time. Todays class was canceled because the are closing up for NYE, but we still get "credit" for being there. So basically, as long as we pay our money, do our time and have clean pee tests, we graduate. I am so glad I have this site and Celebrate Recovery. I think I will complain to authorities after I am in the clear from their program.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nikkle View Post
I used to go to AA, I really liked the people there, but then I found Celebrate Recovery and for me, it was a better fit. Fortunately, Celebrate Recovery is a recognized and court approved alternative to AA where I live. I just wish CR had a treatment program (the pee test kind) because the ones you pay money to attend in this town are completely lacking in substance. I have been to 5 classes now with 4 different instructors and only in 1 class so far have the given us any education. (answers to the questions on the test we have to take to graduate) the other 4 classes, we just went around the room, introduced ourselves and why we were there. The instructors constantly look at the clock and have no structured plan. They also let us out 15-20 minutes early every time. Todays class was canceled because the are closing up for NYE, but we still get "credit" for being there. So basically, as long as we pay our money, do our time and have clean pee tests, we graduate. I am so glad I have this site and Celebrate Recovery. I think I will complain to authorities after I am in the clear from their program.
It's good you are involved in some live support. I am not one who advocates 'sole' online support. I enjoy it as a supplement to AA. But I am also well aware AA does not have tibs on recovery anymore than it does spirituality. AA is but the kindergarten of the spiritual world.

But who's to say you can't have the best of both worlds.
It's just that I note you seemed to have enjoyed the presence of those in the AA meetings. Why give that up too then? They do have some funny people to listen to there when they give their testimony of experience. It's a large part of why I continue to attend. If it weren't for some with their sense of humor, I think I would've gone outta of my freakin' mynd more than I was already. :rotfxko

I hope to be able to catch you down the road in a post to learn of the outcome of your next court appearance to see what the verdict turns out to be. Again, good luck.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Nyte Byrd: It's kind of a long story. I made good friends at The AA meeting, but fell off the wagon at about 7 months. When I came back over a year later, I got the biggest most welcoming hugs and kisses from many members. Felt like the prodigal's son(daughter) It wasn't until the 3rd week back, that I realized one of my favorite male AA members was actually giving me long full body contact hugs with my boobs crushed up against his chest and his kisses were not just a peck on the cheek they were slow to release on my neck behind my ear. He is the sweetest, happiest guy, 20 years my senior and lives alone, so I don't begrudge him his need for some kind of affection - But not with me! Haha! I need to concentrate on my recovery from alcohol, not muddy the waters with my abuse as a child that allows myself to be victimized issues. So I traded my Tues AA meeting for a CR womens 12 step. Right now, I am going to 2 treatment classes and 2 CR meetings a week, with 4 kids and a man at home, I don't think we could handle another meeting thrown in right now!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nikkle View Post
Nyte Byrd: It's kind of a long story. I made good friends at The AA meeting, but fell off the wagon at about 7 months. When I came back over a year later, I got the biggest most welcoming hugs and kisses from many members. Felt like the prodigal's son(daughter) It wasn't until the 3rd week back, that I realized one of my favorite male AA members was actually giving me long full body contact hugs with my boobs crushed up against his chest and his kisses were not just a peck on the cheek they were slow to release on my neck behind my ear. He is the sweetest, happiest guy, 20 years my senior and lives alone, so I don't begrudge him his need for some kind of affection - But not with me! Haha! I need to concentrate on my recovery from alcohol, not muddy the waters with my abuse as a child that allows myself to be victimized issues. So I traded my Tues AA meeting for a CR womens 12 step. Right now, I am going to 2 treatment classes and 2 CR meetings a week, with 4 kids and a man at home, I don't think we could handle another meeting thrown in right now!
Was that you? I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was squeezing so tight!!! LOL j/k

Ah! One of the old '13 steppers', eh? Yeah! They have them, too! No program is perfect.

I have had my own disappointments on occasion with some along the way, but I just couldn't let it be a deterrent for me to give up on AA or drink over it.

I remember having about 5 years, and looking up to some certain members with admiration, only to learn later they had been playing that same game with some ladies in the room. Really changed my view of a few of them.

I thing my first disillusionment was when I learned that many meetings were formed out of a resentment and a coffee pot. :rotfxko Prior to my first few years, I had always assumed they were all formed out of the goodness of peoples' hearts. But somehow they still continue to thrive and grow and new people come in, and that soap opera stuff usually gets weeded out on and off.

I just stay clear of that stuff.

Besides, my wife forbids me of any boobsqueezing hugs at meetings. She checks my shirts for impressions the minute I walk in the door. LOL
Old 12-30-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You are too funny Nyte Byrd! Stay away from me!