Notices

60 days today

Old 12-30-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

60 days today

Day 60:
Hi my name is Glenn. I am a 48 year old man. I stopped drinking (this time) on my birthday, 11/1. I had a serious attempt last year as well, that lasted 30 days then I thought I would adopt the moderation principle, which did not work too well. I believe I have finally realized abstinence is the only workable solution for my drinking.
I am a professional and have an otherwise successful life. I have read several books and am now reading the AA material on-line. I have discussed my drinking several times with my doctor and she is aware of my now admitting I need to quite altogether. After discussing with her and reading “Under the Influence” I am not sure if I am physically addicted to alcohol or not. I am however convinced that I am a serious problem drinker and cannot drink anymore.
I prefer researching and reading over actual face to face support. I tried one AA meeting last year and was not really comfortable. I know that is not really a good sample and I am considering going back. I went to my doctor the day I committed to quit and went back six weeks later and go again six weeks from then, so that is my current face to face accountability. She did put me on Zoloft and it really seems to help. May just be a placebo effect but I will take any help I can get.
Anyway, this is my first post and I guess it is a good step in the direction of support. This seems to be a very good site and I appreciate the effort of people administering it and people reading and supporting those of us in need.
God bless and happy new year to all!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glenn, congratulations! I think you will find that SR is a good place to be.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time! Welcome to the family!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

Welcome Glenn, I'm right there at 60 days with you.

The first step isn't knowing what to do, but to make a sincere effort in whatever direction seems right. Quitting drinking is nothing if not a process.

AA meetings can be a little difficult at first, particularly if you happen into a rather inhospitable one (they are rare but do exist.) I would definitely encourage you to try again, find a meeting that seems good and give it a few tries. I think you'll find a nice, open atmosphere eventually. And with discomfort remember that there, as on this forum, no one will demand you say or do anything. A lot of newcomers just listen; that's entirely approved.

Good luck to you and welcome again.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Glenn! Congrats on your 60-day mark! I am beginning day 4 and already feel so much better. I have gone to 3 AA mtgs. Two I really enjoyed and 1 was more uncomfortable. I plan to attend more, as I think they all vary, and some will feel like the right fit for me. I know that forming relationships with other non-drinkers will be essential to my well-being and for staying on the wagon. You may want to give another mtg a try. Can't hurt! Either way, you are doing really well!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Glenn - congratulations on your 60 days

D
Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and WAY TO GO GLENN!!!

60 days..good job man!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Glenn! Congratulations on your time sober and all the steps you've already taken towards recovery. It's great that you recognize the problem now - my life has been much better since I left alcohol behind.

Lots of good info and support here!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

While not all the info in "Under The Influence" fit my experience
enough did that it convinced me to quit...

I've been useing God and AA to remain so
By living the AA steps...I find a sense of purpose and joy

Seems to me you are off to positive start on sober life.

Thanks for joining our recovery community..Welcome...
Old 12-30-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and way to go!! How exciting that next yr. you will get to celebrate 2 birthdays at the same time

I am so proud of you.

I love SR. I am doing lots of research and reading, but I am not in AA. I am in a very rural town and the "locals" are not familiar with the word anonymous...LOL

You will get lots of support on here. I consider this my recovery group....

Excited to read about your continued progress!

and btw... I'm Lori and I am an alcoholic...
Old 12-30-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations Glenn. Like you, I'm not into the whole group thing. I prefer how I have handled it, by just eliminating it in it's entirety from my life.
In August of 2010 I had a DUI. That's not like me. I decided that night that it was OUT THE DOOR. I didn't over complicate it. I made a mistake and have been paying for it dearly through guilt and disappointment in my actions. If that's the kind of business alcohol holds for my future, it's gone, no questions asked, not lectures needed. I will be punished for it, but I hope the judge will realize that my foolish mistake was a one time thing.

I'm a 47 year old, divorced professional. I work, come home and 'used to' drink beer, wine and ocassionally that harder stuff. Always at home. It's been my routine for me since my divorce about 12 years ago. It was a waste of money and destroyed my self-discipline, obviously, or I wouldn't have ended up with a DUI.

I haven't really counted the days. I used to count week to week, as I would drop to my knees and thank my God for sparing my life and my teenagers lives, every single Saturday night, the weekly anniversary. August 14 was a long time ago and I'm here to say, as long as you think positive about leaving it behind, like a bad habit (perhaps like picking ones nose LOL) then it's powerless over your decision to resume control of your life.

Feel empowered for disassociating it from your life. Then, make no big deal about it and turn the page into the life you can now enjoy, day, night, anytime. nothing holds us now from doing what we want.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the encouragement. The reading post and books is really helping. I wish all a very happy, safe and sober new year! God bless.

Glenn
Old 12-31-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Glenn, welcome and congrats on 60 days! I know my brain was still kind of foggy at that stage, but I sure felt a lot better than I had in the previous 12 years of being drunk. When I first tried AA over 4 years ago, I was very uncomfortable in that setting. I wish I had given it more of a chance; perhaps I could've saved myself the pains caused by another 4 years of drinking. As others have done already, I'd suggest trying out a few different ones. They all have their own personality. And good on you for speaking with your physician about what you're going through. Too often people are reluctant to be forthright about their battles with alcohol, and your doctor should certainly be in the loop with these things.

Originally Posted by maimai View Post
I am in a very rural town and the "locals" are not familiar with the word anonymous...LOL

That stinks, Lori. I've been to meetings with a television celebrity, and while I'm sure some people would think it would make them look "cool" to share that information with a friend, I would never even think about betraying someone's trust like that. I don't even use first names when I'm telling my fiancee about a meeting. It's called Alcoholics Anonymous for a reason.