Notices

What do you love the most about sobriety?

Old 12-28-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile What do you love the most about sobriety?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I know over the next while my inner demons are going to be trying to convince me that I need a drink. And I know there are so many positive reasons - crucial reasons - to NOT drink but I will sure use all the examples I can get.

For me, I think one of the things I will love the most is feeling good in the mornings. To not drive to work feeling cloudy and dizzy and hateful at myself.

Yes, I am looking forward to not feeling that regret and self-hatred anymore.

What about everyone else?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Waking up at 3AM, smiling that I am not hungover, stretching and going back to sleep. For 139 days now!!! Oh, and getting my memory back! Sorry, that was two things!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

I love the absence of shame, fear, loneliness and hopelessness. I love it.

Those things didn't leave because I quit drinking. They left because I addressed my alcoholism. All of it.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great post! One thing I love is being truly present when I'm with others (without those obsessive thoughts: does my breath smell? is my face red? when can I get out of here and have a drink?)
Old 12-28-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

My family, my friends, my 1 year old son. <3 Having my 'contentment' back, and hope for a wonderful long life.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Best thing for me? The energy to finally put some action into long-held goals. Drinking was a big procrastination.

ddog
Old 12-28-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lots of things. No hangovers. Also, I have been sleeping much better since I have been sober. And I agree about being present with others. I have noticed myself actually having more meaningful interactions with others since I am not impaired or thinking about the next drink.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My daily connection to God and AA....
Old 12-28-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like the clarity. My vision is clearer and I feel things physically. I go outside and I swear the world feels and looks different. I still walk around like a tourist taking in the scenery.
And I like being able to drive.
SH
Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Not waking up feeling like sh!t and hating myself. Not having to lie and hide my drinking from my kids. Having money for necessary expenses since I'm not spending it on wine every day. Taking better care of myself and my dogs.

Everything!! I love everything about living sober!!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All the extra time,
....along with actually enjoying most of what happens during all those hours !?!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

all great posts, everyone. i'm only on day 2 and your words are giving me so much hope to continue. this is slightly embarrassing to admit, but i've got to find some sober hobbies now.

good luck to everyone. i'm thinking about trying an AA meeting this weekend. sobriety is that serious. i like having some type of goal. especially one that i know will help in multiple areas of my life.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dismember

Freedom! I think the best thing is that my life has taken on a more unpredictable quality. I feel like every day I have the choice to try something new, meet new people, pick up any weird hobby I want. Some say alcohol makes an alcoholic do unpredictable things, I don't think that's so. My life has taken so many more weird twists since I started having some realistic sobriety.

And love. I got sober, met someone unexpectedly, and fell in love with her. I like that.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I like being able to look in the mirror and being able to say I love the person I see standing there.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am very new to sobriety...60 days today...and by far the best thing for me at this point is waking up feeling good, then realizing there is no mess to figure out and try to clean up.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi! I just wanted to say that I can relate to your post. I am also on my second day of sobriety. I went to a meeting today and it was a positive experience. I know they all vary, so if one doesn't seem a good fit, try another. Good luck and keep in touch!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I love the thought of going forward with my life minus fear or embarrassment or losing control/willpower. Never having that moment when I wake up and realize there is a blank spot in the memory bank. I truly hope I can get there, but for now I'll take having a clear head and no hangover.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stephanie119 View Post
I went to a meeting today and it was a positive experience.
I am so glad you made it and hope you go again tomorrow and have the same experience.

It was at those meetings I heard the most enlightening and encouraging stories that gave me the hope and strength to continue on.....such as this one.

It was about this man in a hole of despair. When his mother came along, he looked up pleading to her for help to get him out. And with sadness in her heart, she said to him, "I can only go home and weep a tear you tonight, my son!"

Then along came a priest, and again, the man in the hole of despair begged for some help. And again, all the priest could tell him was...."I can't help you, my son, but I will go back to my church and say a prayer for you!"

Still, another passerby, this time a doctor, approached, looking down into the hole, heard his pleas, but could not help him, but only offer him a script, in case he did get out, and threw it down to him!"

Last of all, was this man who was on his way to an AA meeting. He looked down into the hole with a familiar stare. The man in the hole asked reluctantly, if this man could get him out of this hole of despair.

Without hesitation, this AA member, jumped down into the hole. The man who was in the hole already was stunned and looked at him and asked! Why the heck did you jump down in here for? Now we're BOTH down in the hole?

The man from AA said to him with a smile....

"That's okay. I've been down here before and I already know the way out!"
Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I like being back in control of the direction where my life is going. Wile in active addiction my life was way out of control.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Dismember

Glad to see so many people new in or new in working sobriety!

If you think lack of a hangover in the morning is a great thing, then keep at it. You have NO IDEA what else is coming down the line. But it's *$E&% #$&$% awesome.