Notices

What do you love the most about sobriety?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am only 26 days sober today, but so far, here's what I love:
  • Waking up and not feeling like crap
  • Not spending lots of $$ at the liquor store
  • Improved mental clarity every day I'm sober
  • Not going through the call log on my phone to see who I called/texted the night before
  • So far - I love everything about being sober!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow Peanuts. As I read your topic name (before I actually read the post) I thought. Man, my life doesn't seem all that different. I still have problems and didn't have the greatest of days today, etc... but then I read your part on the self hatred and bam! Instant gratitude. How quickly I forgot how much I hated myself when drinking. I do have problems I am working through, but hating myself is not one of them!!

When I was drinking, the next day, I would look at myself - bloated, red eyed, tired, and sloppy. I hated the person looking back at me. All I would do is try like hell to fake my way through another day. I'd do my best to look happy, act happy, and give off the appearence that I had my stuff together. Inside, I did not think much of myself at all.

Thanks for the topic. Today, I still have problems, they're just different. I really needed to go back to where I was 27 days ago!!

Thanks,
RW
Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nancylee View Post
Waking up at 3AM, smiling that I am not hungover, stretching and going back to sleep. For 139 days now!!! Oh, and getting my memory back! Sorry, that was two things!
Great comment. I remember waking up at 3am with my head pounding and thristy as can be. I love waking up at night and then going back to bed. It's like getting two nights of sleep in one!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
Wow Peanuts. As I read your topic name (before I actually read the post) I thought. Man, my life doesn't seem all that different. I still have problems and didn't have the greatest of days today, etc... but then I read your part on the self hatred and bam! Instant gratitude. How quickly I forgot how much I hated myself when drinking. I do have problems I am working through, but hating myself is not one of them!!

When I was drinking, the next day, I would look at myself - bloated, red eyed, tired, and sloppy. I hated the person looking back at me. All I would do is try like hell to fake my way through another day. I'd do my best to look happy, act happy, and give off the appearence that I had my stuff together. Inside, I did not think much of myself at all.

Thanks for the topic. Today, I still have problems, they're just different. I really needed to go back to where I was 27 days ago!!

Thanks,
RW
Then you are way ahead then I was. Took me much longer than that find real gratitude in my life and learn to see things from a little different perspective...or a new pair of glasses, as they say. I remember over 20 years ago, getting my 1 year medallion, and still not feeling much different, and going up to a podium, and the best I could mutter was, that today felt like yesterday, I guess tomorrow would probably feel the same.

But things changed the following year. I learned that what I thought were problems were not really problems after all or at least they didn't have to be unless I looked at them that way.

I used to think if my car broke down, I had a problem....
until I realized it was 'normal' that cars break down...and that's why they have mechanics....to fix them. It's not really a problem. Those things just 'happen'. They are 'supposed' to happen. And it's up to me to learn how to deal with them and accept them that they do without having to go into 'instant child tantrum' about it.

Now....if the mechanic tells me some car part is broken, and he doesn't have a replacement part, and they don't make that part anymore and there's just no way to obtain that part.....NOW it's a problem!!!

It's all about perspective and acceptance!

Glad things are turning around in your life. It gets better. Even if sometimes for those like me, they had to get worse first for awhile (even in sobriety) before they did get better.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Great topic, peanuts!

There is so much to choose from, it's hard to say what's best. HOPE and TIME are big on my list
Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah I could write a book on this topic. My freedom that I feel is being able to come and go whenever a whim hits. Towards the end of my drinking marathon..I would go out..then finish off the "party" at home. I grounded myself. Too drunk to drive. Now I never worry about that..
I love that I am not on the outside looking in. If I wasn't drunk..I had a hellacious hangover..never wanted to eat. I would look around the lunch room and wonder how in the heck everyone could eat. Now ..I love food. I never gave food a break..in my eyes..it represented buzz kill. Also..conversations. I was never tuned in. Now I actually listen when people talk..it is no longer white noise or whatever you call it.
Peace and calm. I have never known that in my life. I will stop here..but I have many more. I LOVE SOBRIETY! I am spitting on myself for not giving it a shot YEARS ago! Good thread. Thanks Peanuts..
Old 12-29-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

I never have to go it alone again.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Definitely the EASE. I was just thinking this morning actually how my son is starting Kindergarten this year and how exciting it is for him. And the thought passed and I went to get breakfast.

A few minutes later I remember how that thought used to flood me with anxiety. Would I still be drinking by then? Would I be hungover dropping him at school his first day? Would I still be bloated, fat, distracted, trying to pretend I felt OK with a churning stomach and pounding head?

I remember his first day of preschool. I was so nervous about it and in spite of a huge effort still had 8 vodkas the night before I remember the number. 4 double vodkas over 6 hours. At the time I told myself it wasn't that bad.. about a drink an hour. (??)
Old 12-29-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I love waking up sober and not walking into the kitchen and seeing empty bottles on the counter or in the trash. Or on the nightstand.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Some of the basics:
Getting my memory back
No more wasting $ on booze
Going out to eat doesn't ALWAYS cost $100+
When I cut my grass, the lines are straight.......even in the back yard
No more nights in jail
No more DUI attorneys

Now for the REALLY cool things:
No more living a lie......living like an actor constantly trying to be what "you" want me to be
Watching newcomers faces change when they "get it" and really sink their hooks into recovery
Finding a HP who's with me ALL the time....good and bad....and who's excited to help me through anything
Knowing that, each day, I've got a real legit. shot at doing some good in the world
Feeling proud about myself, warts and all.....rather than full of disgust, shame and self-hatred.
Knowing that if I stay on course, I've got a really good chance of having another great day tomorrow. - I've come to live optimistically rather than pessimistically.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Not being ruled by drink, not thinking i needed so many beers before having the confidence to face the world, go to the shops, make a phone call etc.

Not feeling terribole in the mornings!

Breathing seems easier.

Sleep much improved (lucky here as know lack of sleep is a big problem to many).

Eating properly & regularly.

So much more energy, not feeling lethargic constantly.

Knowing that every day alcohol free is extending my life :-)
Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Self respect
Old 12-29-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Being alive. I really don't think I would be if I had continued drinking.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Wonderful thread full of great vibe!!! For me....the blessings are everywhere.....just too much to list
Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
din
~ still a believer ~

the "instant Insanity" being gone........
I would just absolutely "WIG" on a seconds notice (yea, in front of god and everyone unfortunately)

Sure, I still "start" to go off the deep end once in a blue moon.........BUT I catch myself,(TODAY) and can find that pause button

it probably took 4-6 months for that to come about (for me)
but I am so very grateful I waited around for the miracles...........that's just one of many!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I love waking up without a hangover, I love that the horrible panic attacks are gone, I love that I wake up and I don't hate myself. I love that I'm alive!

I love that I can truly enjoy things like watching a movie cus I can remember it the next day. I love that I can feel everything, anger, joy, sadness, etc without alcohol and I can survive them no matter how intense. I love that I'm grateful for everything I have which in turn makes me want to be a better person.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I love animals now. When I was drunk I could never see them, or I tripped over them.
Now I talk to them, and they talk back to me. Being sober has helped me to listen.
I love listening to the birds and the sea, and the wind in the trees. Sobriety has brought a beautiful peace into my life.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

Normal sleep cycles.
I can drive again, and I don't have to ask my teenage son to drive me to the abc store. Damn near every day at that.
Time with my family, not in a haze and usually ready to argue with anyone over anything. Really enjoying time with them again.
Weight loss. And that includes losing the massive swelling from all the alcohol, my face was huge and I always looked sick.
Handling problems as they arise. Not "I'll deal with it later, I'm too tipsy to bother right now or I just don't feel like it or it'll be there tomorrow".
My kids school functions. I've gone to meetings with teachers, ball games, dropped off my daughter for cheer, all the things I was no longer doing or even able to do I was so messed up.
Cooking and eating good foods again.
COFFEE tastes so good sober!
Doing my own shopping again. I was sending my then 17 year old son to do everything, errands, shopping, etc. I seriously hate how much of my slack he had to pick up and he's never held it against me. He doesn't even get why I tell him I'm sorry when it comes up, just says he's glad I'm better now and that's what matters. Love my kids.
The list could go on and on and on. I have bad days but they are like anyone else's bad days. Sometimes things just suck in life and you gotta deal with it and move on. Glad I finally am learning to do that instead of crawling into a bottle to hide from it all.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like myself

D
Old 12-29-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Feeling empowered and in control over a force that litterally crushes peoples lives, every single day.

It's a great feeling to look my teenaged daughter and son in the eye and tell them I'll do my best to always be there for them.

POWER!!!