Notices

I feel a kinship here

Old 12-28-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel a kinship here

After only one day here I see so many stories; some very much like mine and others very different, but all seem to have that common theme of someone reaching out and others there to support them. How great!

As I said only yesterday when I first came on-board, I've weaved my way through life for many years with a long-neck bottle as my crutch and now it's time to see what I've been missing. It's only been a day, but I'm happy about it and my wife - who I often alienated with my drinking - is standing beside me and offering her full support and love.

But being new to this - I need more advice. I'm too far away from any organized daily AA meetings or such and so I'm going to be using this site a WHOLE BUNCH. It seems that someone is most always here to lend a hand.

So, 1st, after reading about medical issues related to stopping, I've seen various posts talking about seizures, mini-strokes and more. So.............I'm thinking that seeing a doctor is important; especially since if anything were to happen we're at least 45 minutes from a medical facility.

And 2nd, There's actually a counselor who specializes in alcohol and drug addiction who's only about 30 minutes away. I'm thinking that setting somthing up with him/her is a good plan as well.

I truly appreciate the help I've gotten here. I look forward a day when I'll be wise and experienced enough to return the gifts.

If you fall down seven times;
Get up eight times.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
din
~ still a believer ~

welcome !

sounds like you already have 2 great plans!
1) see your Dr.
2) check into counseling

It's only been a day,
that's okay, because that's all you need to deal with at a time............Just a day
Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you found this place None. It is a great support network, and great great place to find information about your specific issues. If you feel comfortable getting medical and professional advice immediately I would recommend it...I was a little too stubborn and probably a little too confident that I could handle this thing alone. But I keeping trying to learn and keep recovery in the front of my mind daily. I don't know your history or your drinking patterns so I would say if you think there with be a withdrawal issue seek medical help, and for certain seek information from a counselor if you feel comfortable in doing that.

Congrats on your decision, and welcome to the board.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This is a very supportive site. I've found a lot of help here and give a lot of credit to the people here for my year sober. I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, we are definitely a family here, and SR has been my lifeline for years.

Both of your points are valid. It's always good to talk to your dr before you begin to detox and counselling could be a big help. Basically, do anything you can that will help you to recover.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

This really is a great community
Good luck with the Dr and the counselling None4.

D
Old 12-28-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

...Welcome

There is an AA resource you may not know about
it's called the Loners Program.

Please check out the AA site..I've not tried the Loners Program

Alcoholics Anonymous : INFORMATION ON A.A.

Congratulations for your decision to quit
all m best to you and your family ...
Old 12-28-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"I truly appreciate the help I've gotten here. I look forward a day when I'll be wise and experienced enough to return the gifts."

Hey None - we appreciate you too! There is nobody in this who doesn't need others - newcomers, oldtimers, and everyone in between! Thank you for being here, and feel welcome to share as well as listen!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

There are some really good :ghug3 er's in here and Im one of em.. JJ
Old 12-28-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome None. It sounds like you have a good plan in place already. Good luck to you.