Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day 26 Why do I feel SO Tired?What other withdrawl symptoms to expect?

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 03:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yesterday I took two 1-2 hr naps. I went to bed early, pretty much slept all day. When I was awake I just layed on the couch had no energy what so ever. Is this part of a withdrawl symptom? What other symptoms of withdrawl are any of you having? Maybe if we list all of ours we may know what to expect.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Every experience is different but most of the exhaustion from withdrawal had passed within the first few weeks really. I found more of mental exhaustion/confusion really to be the one that took time to work through.

Cleaning out your body from a toxic substance does do a jolt to the system so in my case it took some time for things to get back on track.

My suggestion is having a work up done with your Dr. That is one of the first things I did when I quit was get an appt and explain my history and they checked all my levels, etc. Please be candid so they do the proper testing.

Here is a link we have here on SR that may be helpful for any of our new friends looking to see what others have experience.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

All the best!! Keep it going
Old 12-25-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi bochuck. I'm on day 23 today, and this week I have been very tired, fatigued as well.

I'm a part time insomniac so I keep waking up early - BUT I also have taken 2 hour naps this week in the middle of the day which is unheard of for me. When I wake up from the naps, I do not feel rested, but almost feel like I'm drugged I'm so lethargic.

I am attributing it to part of the withdrawal process. I did not have severe withdrawals, and it seems odd that the tired thing would pop up after 3 weeks.

Hopefully our energy levels will improve soon!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Day 27 here! Congrats to everyone. I have been tired as well. I always did love a good nap, so I've been indulging myself. I wonder if it isn't in part due to the amount of caffeine and sugar I've been consuming. I've definitely upped my intake since getting sober, so I thing I get a sugar or caffeine high and then crash. Anyway, it feels better than what I used to do!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I felt really exhausted in the past month, too, in spite of getting pretty good sleep most nights. Honestly, I think maybe I had SAD (main symptom = fatigue). We're getting some sunshine now, and I'm actually feeling a little better. If it's winter where you are, maybe that's a possibility for you, too.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Your body is still adjusting, and will be for a while. Being tired is very common. Many other affects vary depending on the person. Good luck and congrats on the sober time.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me (and this not medical advice, just what worked) you need vitamins and a good, healthy diet. Make sure a good, strong B vitamin suppliment, don't forget D and C. I take a B complex, a "complete senior" and Calcium/ Magnesium/ Zinc. Cranberry pills, milk thistle (this last one is kinda controversial)

Diet 7Up, water, V8 juice. (I don't do caffien) Yogurt, fruit cups (low sugar) Oh, don't forget at least one nice, hot cup of green tea each day. At least one. Fish is high in Omega Fatty Acids. So much for you to learn now, diet is everything about stamina and energy.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

WOW betterlife. That is exactely how I feel. I just woke up and am going to go back to sleep. I to have been getting up early 4:30am today and I never ever take naps. I am going to look at the link Kim told me to look at why don't you look also
Old 12-25-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You're not alone. I've been exhausted lately too coming up on day 30 tommorrow and pretty warn out.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It took me 2 months of AA recovery to get back in
physical and emotional balance.

With my doctors permission....I was following the eating plan
I found in my favorite book on Alcoholism...
"Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketcham.
Ask your doctor aabout hypoglycemia. please.

I also took a daily multi vitamin ...B Complex +Zinc
walked often...drank lots of water...attended daily AA meetings.

Recovery takes effort and comittment .but is so beneficial.
Please stay in focus....you too can find a healthier future.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You all might consider that this is the holidays and some people have more time off than normal. I know I have been "relaxing" a lot these last two days and I feel very lethargic. When you aren't moving your body will go into dormant mode. Just a thought. When I visit relatives I call it forced relaxation.
SH
Old 12-25-2010, 11:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bochuck
I slept up to five six times a day during the first month of my withdrawal. I couldn't believe how tired I was, but then realized it was the body's way of catching a breather from decades of my system being hyped up by alcohol. In time your body adjusts... let it take you to bed. I think it's so important to get as much rest as you can in withdrawal.
Other symptoms of withdrawal? you start hearing news sounds, smelling new fragrances, seeing new things... and if you listen carefully, you can hear your body saying, thankyou so much!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was exhausted the first 3 months or so and I've been better since but still not where I would like to be. One thing I am learning in recovery is how to be gentle with myself and not expect things to happen RIGHT NOW!
Old 12-26-2010, 05:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Really good shares in this post! So positive to see all of us working our recovery and choosing a better life.

For me the physical piece is good but still lots of work mentally - upstairs for me here and I draw much strength from the posts on SR. Thank you.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

After reading through these posts - my tiredness makes more sense now.

I too have had time off work lately. I've slacked off my exercise routine, and have been eating lots of sugary treats I would not normally eat.

I'll get back to my exercise routine next week and thankfully there won't be cookies or fudge everywhere I look. (I was forced to eat that stuff you know lol)
Old 12-26-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Juggernaut of self will

I am 19 days off of the junk, and 14 days sober in a 12 step program. It is comforting to read that I am not alone in my feelings of exhaustion, both mental and physical.

After suffering through 5 days of what I thought would be the worst of the withdrawls, the PAWS, many of the mental issues have hung on. That is the depression, self loathing, apathy, you know, the general stinkin' thinkin'. I am glad that I got back to meetings, as I have had a place to go and share about these feelings.

Yesterday, I felt extremely week. I slept until noon, and when I got up, just did not feel like doing anything. I forced myself to go for a short walk, and that helped immensly. I also went to a meeting today and shared about it.

Another thing that is strange and has been a while in the making was my stomach issues. Other than minor diarehha, I did not go through any other major stomach issues while kicking. Well that caught up to me yesterday. I think my body is finally willing to let go, quite literally I pooped like a race horse on straight grain today, and when I was done felt 100 times better!

I know that only time, and soberity, is going to heal this sickness and I am okay with that. I have surrendered, waved the white flag if you will.

If you are anywhere along this road, please hang in there and know that it will get better a day at time.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi,
I am at 137 days, and still tired when I get home from work, and in the afternoons. Part is the meds I am on, but I think part is that our brains are recovering. I just realized that the other day, really, because I always told myself I was not that bad, but I was. For about 15 years, I drank every Thursday, Friday, Saturday, at least 2/3 of a bottle of wine, the last 6 years it was 4 to 5 days a week, and the last 2 years it was almost every night. Do you think my body needs repairing??

Sleep, sober sleep, is great for you. Your body recovers during sleep, and for me, I find that I am having the wildes dreams, and I think some of them are helping me work out issues I have had for years. So sleep as much as you need to, don't feel guilty!! It is healthy, to sleep the sleep of the sober.

Sweet dreams,
Nancy
Old 12-26-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You have to expect a recovery period that is going to take some time. And at some point you have to decide when is best to seek some medical help from those in the know about alcoholism recovery. I had acute sleeping problems early in recovery, now I regularly sleep well. It's been a year, occasionally I still feel tired and slumped (I have some ongoing health issues besides), but try to take care of myself and work around it as is necessary to keep the balance.