Notices

I may have made a mistake??

Old 12-24-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I may have made a mistake??

There is no doubt I wat to quit. I'm working on day 2, But I think my timing is super crappy. Here it is x-mas eve, And I feel like hell nervous, sweating, and not much like having happy family time. I feel like I'm going to ruin Christmas for the whole family. I think my wife is ready to kill me. I plan on staying the course. But I hope it is not a big mistake. I do not want my daughter to rember this as the Christmas her dad went of the deep end.
By for now,
Steve
Old 12-24-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Steve, this is definitely a tough time to be making the choice to quit, I'm new here too. We're in this together, so let's stick together. Keep posting here on SR, I know for me that is helping me stay focused.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still trying to figure it out

The fact that you are thinking about how your kid will see you is a great progress in my book. I have to keep reminding my self the same. It's important my kids have a great time now and don't see the basket case mommy ever!
Old 12-24-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just want you to know I'm thinking about you and hoping all goes well. Hugs.

Stephanie
Old 12-24-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Can you get to a meeting? Even if you are unsure about AA at least you can get outta the house for a bit and talk to people face to face who understand where you are coming from. Your wife probably has no way of understanding what's up and a meeting might make you feel better.

Keep coming.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Things really will get better (day 2 was the worst for me). You don't want to cave and then end up not feeling well and ruining Christmas that way either......

Stay in the moment and if it gets too bad, maybe see a doc-in-the-box for something to ease the withdrawals....(?) Does your wife understand and/or support your decision? Have you told her what you're going through and how hard it is?

It's hard not to feel overwhelmed at first, even without the holidays. I had to keep things really simple the first week or so. Family celebrations are important, but this is about the rest of your life.

Be sure that you're taking your B vitamins, too. :ghug3
Old 12-24-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4KatelynandME View Post
There is no doubt I wat to quit. I'm working on day 2, But I think my timing is super crappy.

What would be a better time? When your wife is walking out the front door with your kid?

hang in there. look at it this way - at least you'll remember Christmas this time.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do it. Someday you will tell your kid about the hardest Christmas of your life.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Still there? How are ya?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

How are you doing today?

There is no really good time to stop drinking, and if you can get through Christmas and remain sober, then it will show you that you can get through anything.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anna took the words out of my mouth LOL.

I admire everyone starting out their sobriety this Christmas
Keep it up!

D
Old 12-26-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is my second Christmas sober. Last Christmas I was still in early stages, but got through it, no regrets or misgivings about it now. I can think of other examples around here, who quit during December and made it through. A lot of folks seem to put off trying to quit until New Year, and that's a fair enough decision, but when I'd tried previously it didn't last the month. If you've reached the point where you've had enough (as in my case, just sick and fed up), you can do it, regardless of the time of year.