Notices

I'm ready to quit!!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm ready to quit!!

First off, thank all of you in advance for all of your support.

Here is a little background on me. I have been drinking for about 22 years now. And come from a family full of ALCOHOLICS... I drink every day (6-8 beers) no matter what!! The FLU, The birth of my daughter,The death of my grandmother... You get the picture. This last weekend we had friends over and I drank 23 beers on Saturday and 19 beers on Sunday!! I have been a lurker on here for a long time, But now it is time to quit!!!
I have a 5 year old daughter that means more to me than i can even explain. And I never want her to see me in a drunkin stupor! I have never tried to quit in 22 years, But now I truly have the resolve to make it happen. FOR KATELYN AND ME!!!:
Old 12-22-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you least.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You have made a good decision!

Early recovery requires a lot of changes but it's so worth the effort.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome! You can do this, it is up to you. Good luck and keep us posted. Read around SR, and Post where you want.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi 4Katelynandme
Welcome aboard!

D
Old 12-23-2010, 04:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yah I have a 5yr old too. If you show them that its normal to get drunk every night. They will think its normal to get drunk every night. I'm trying to be the hero my daughters think I am. There will be hard days and easier days so just stick with it because you wont ever get a 2nd chance to raise your daughter well. At 5yr old you really have a chance to start over and she will never know you as a drunk if you succeed.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I can relate to your post on a lot of levels. I too have a 5 year old daghter and a 3 year old son. They will follow our example. I am 42 days into it and believe it or not kids see more than we know. About 2 or 3 weeks ago my son said to his cousin..." my Daddy doesn't drink beer anymore so we get to play with him a lot more."

That really hit me hard as to how much my drinking affected their lives. Good luck on your journey and keep us posted.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi all, I did not stop drinking till my girls were 10 and 12. By then the damage was done. That was many years ago and everything is fixed and healed. BUT OH what I wouldn't give to be able to go back and have quit when they were 5. 4KatelynandME, You are sooo fortunate to be where you are now. My heart goes out to you along with all my best hopes.

Ron
Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome and thanks for the honesty. I agree with you that you have all the reason in the world to quit. There are many paths to sobriety, I chose AA and it's worked for over 6 years now. If one doesn't work, try another. There is a ton of support here and that's why I belong to this community. It's a day at a time thing. Good luck and Merry Christmas. Bruce
Old 12-23-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I have a long history with addiction too. You can recover and a good recovery plan with support (like the peeps here at SR) will really help.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on making the decision. That was the hardest thing for me.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi All!!
I am so new to this. I just got out of rehab in Florida and i am back home in CT. I got my 30 day chip. (yay me) I am scared to death!! Here is a nutshell backcheck: My parents ran a satanic cult and used me in their rites until I was 9, they were major alcoholics and drug addicts. Obviously, I became a worldclass alcoholic. I am now 43 and scared to death of what my future holds. I feel like I am too old to start a new future. I am married (unhappily, my "other half" has been abusing me for 26 years and tried to kill me) and have a beaurtiful son. He is 13 (going on 30) I have read some of the posts here and you all seem like such a happy family here. I hope there is room for one more. I have never been allowed to have friends and you all seem really nice.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank all of you for your support, this evening will be the first true test. Right at 5pm everyone at the repair shop I own. The whole crew grabs a beer out of the ice box and thats where starts everyday. Today I will just say no thank you I have quit drinking. I believe everyone will faint LOL. By for now, Steve
Old 12-23-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Britta View Post
Hi All!!
I am so new to this. I just got out of rehab in Florida and i am back home in CT. I got my 30 day chip. (yay me) I am scared to death!! Here is a nutshell backcheck: My parents ran a satanic cult and used me in their rites until I was 9, they were major alcoholics and drug addicts. Obviously, I became a worldclass alcoholic. I am now 43 and scared to death of what my future holds. I feel like I am too old to start a new future. I am married (unhappily, my "other half" has been abusing me for 26 years and tried to kill me) and have a beaurtiful son. He is 13 (going on 30) I have read some of the posts here and you all seem like such a happy family here. I hope there is room for one more. I have never been allowed to have friends and you all seem really nice.
Britta, wow - that is quite a filled paragraph. Stick to SR for help and friendship and most of all help yourself first. Once you kick the grips of alcohol, you should start to feel stronger and develop a higher sense of worth - it will take time, but it is worth it.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4KatelynandME View Post
Thank all of you for your support, this evening will be the first true test. Right at 5pm everyone at the repair shop I own. The whole crew grabs a beer out of the ice box and thats where starts everyday. Today I will just say no thank you I have quit drinking. I believe everyone will faint LOL. By for now, Steve
when you are feeling in a tough place with others around you drinking, might I suggest you watch this clip (@ 4:18 specifically) YouTube - The Shawshank redemption - Icy cold bohema style beer (Hope) The way Andy declines an offer for a beer is priceless - and something we all can learn from. It is that scene's inner-peace that is glorious.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey 4kat

Hang in there buddy. We have all been in your position. You might want to see your doctor for a check up. Going "cold turkey" is no fun. believe me!!! Your doctor will try to make your de-tox easier...YES I said De-Tox.....That is alot of beer you have been drinking, and your body is used to that BAC. It doesn't take that long to get over the physical part (maybe 3-4 days), then get into a support group (AA or other) This is the hard part, put in the time for your family....

I hope you and your family have a Happy Holiday Season..
Old 12-23-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hope I didn't say too much!! If I did, sorry....
Old 12-23-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by 4KatelynandME View Post
I will be saying a prayer for you at 5 pm .... You can be strong....just for today.....