Notices

Joined an outpaient recovery ctr/not for me

Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Joined an outpaient recovery ctr/not for me

Hi all,

Two weeks ago I finally decided I am done making excuses and pretending I don't have a drinking problem . I realized I was tired of living my life the way I have been the last few years and want my life back . So I made some calls and went for an evaluation at an out patient care ctr. I am in group 5 times a week. Although 99 percent of the group is court ordered . Most of the hour is talking about house arrest / parole in which i cannot relate to. I like many from what I am reading have always been skeptical or AA but maybe that is where I should be. I was really excited to join this rehab and the counselor says give it time but I just really don't relate to most of the topics and didn't think this is what it would be like also it takes about 4 hours of my day with travel time which would be fine if I though I was benefiting. Don't want to give up but not sure what to do any suggestions? Thanks for reading =)
Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi New-

Willingness, "openmindedness", and honesty my friend.

To they own self be true.

Why not let some folks who know something about sobriety help you? Why not give this outpatient group and AA a chance? Both of which saved my life.

Kjell
Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no advice about outpatient treatment, but I know that SR is a lifeline for me.

I think you should do what ever works for you.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Like Kjell wrote...give it a chance. If it doesn't work for you consider other f2f support. Figure out what you're lookin for. Maybe you need more one on one counseling. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

If you're looking for an excuse not to go, you'll find one.

Look for an excuse to get sober. You'll find it.

So glad you're here.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies. I don't want an excuse to give up made to many for years. I just want something I feel is helping me. Not to leave the meeting and feel nothing about wanting / or not wanting to drink was discussed . Yesterday the whole hour was about buying houses with bad credit and how you can't get housing help with a criminal record. So although I know the people in the group somehow have to be able to relate to me Its not discussed. I have decided to find an AA meeting in this area thanks to all the encouraging posts on here. This site is wonderful and I am happy to have found it !
Old 12-22-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Newlife4me531
I know nothing of OP I'm afraid, or AA - but I think the advice to stick it out and maybe add some AA and then make a choice - either, neither or both - is pretty good

Welcome to SR
D
Old 12-22-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Newlife, I think that you should add AA to your regimen. And when you go to meetings, announce that you are a newcomer. Ask someone that you can identify with/who seems to have what you are looking for for suggestions as to other meetings to check out - no two AA groups are exactly alike and most people find one that fits their needs better than others. Find "your" group, go to meetings regularly (90 meetings in 90 days is the usual recommendation), and re-evaluate after you've given both OP and AA time. Finding another OP is another option to consider if you continue to feel the same about your current OP group.

Most of all, don't give up!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you to all. Thanks Eddie... I am looking up meetings now and will do as you suggested . Thanks again ..I am feeling more optimistic
Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
a neuhart recovery

Hi i'm Clint and new to SR. Thought I would give it a try. I am in out patient as we speak. An addict helping another addict is without parallel. We all suffer from the same disease, and that is addiction. I learn from 15 year olds as well as 70 year olds. Out patient can be a good recovery foundation if approached with the right attitude. I understand...we cant all have the same story and there are some things I can't relate to either. Sometimes feeling i'm not "bad" enough. I have tried many difrent ways to get clean and always end up white knuckling it or becoming a "dry drunk". Although most of us take a similar approach in recovery. A Cognitive behavior approach as well as meetings coupled with a sponser is the same if your a junky or a drunk. Weather it's NA or AA, where ever we can relate is where we meet our new family. What I think one of the golden roles from rehab is to convince us addicts we need meetings. The security of out patient will eventually wear off, but hopefully were more equipped with some skills to carry on with. It sounds like your well on your way...hang in there...i'm doing it to. Hope I can help even though i'm early in recovery too. If i'm "off beat" on anything feel free to put me in check lol.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Clint

D
Old 12-23-2010, 04:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Clint ,

Thanks for your post! I never heard Dry Drunk before makes sense. I have been trying on my own on and off for a few years. Seems the longest I have gone sober on my own is 4 months . As long as I am stress free I am fine but the minute I face just real reality work or relationship stresses I can't deal and make an excuse. So well here I am again. I have had really bad panic disorder since I am 16 which is what originally started my drinking in my twenties well actually I don't know which one drives which anymore. Hope you are having a good day . Happy Thursday to all here. I am looking forward to a new year!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Newlife - It's great that you're getting sober. My life has improved in ways I didn't even think it would and it gets better all the time.

I think if you're going to put in the effort to do the outpatient treatment, you ought to talk to the group facilitator and tell them how the topics haven't been all that helpful. Perhaps they're just letting the group go where it wants and if you don't speak up, everyone assumes you're fine with it. (?)

There are lots of options, so just keep looking for a good fit. Glad you're here!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Artsoul...I plan on doing that. Happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm with Eddiebuckle on this one. Keep it flexible and don't get spooked into relapsing. Find a group or program which is a good "fit" for you. There are many alternatives. Getting sober is strickly optional. Exercise that option and you'll never regret it. Good luck and every good wish.

W.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to both New and Clin....

My only experience with alcoholism and recovery methods
is AA. I've been enjoying my AA life for 21 years...

Of course,,,AA is not the only way...many of SR members are
also being sucessful and happily sober without AA.

The only way to see if AA is for you is to add it to
your life for awhile.....hope you will come meet us...

Please read the sticky post on our Alcoholism 12 step Support Forum for info

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-step-support/
Old 12-25-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks W and Carol. I am actually planning on going to an AA meeting I found by my house on Monday. I will give you an update. I am a little nervous but I am looking forward to it as well. Hope everyone had a wonderful holidays and beat the temptations! =)
Old 12-25-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I tried an outpatient group for awhile and my experience was like yours. Most of the group was court ordered and had additional drug and court problems (probation, child custody issues, etc.) that I didn't relate too. Attendance at AA meetings a couple of times a week was also recommended by the counselor. I found it to be a waste of time and money so I decided to quit and double my efforts in AA. For me, that was a very good decision.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I love this place.

hiya newlife and welcome too Clint.

Newlife, I had been trying for awhile to stop....after being involved in head on collision that killed my bff of 25 yrs I had 65 days again, drank again, now am on day 15 again. What am I doing different this time? AA meetings. It is really making a difference for me! I had never tried that before. There are all kindsa programs out there and if you like the f2f there will be one that fits you. You are on the right track!

SR chat has meetings on Fridays at 9pm est and when it's not a holiday there is usually someone always hangin' there and a pretty good group in evenings/nights. It is a great place to talk to others and get input and ideas on how they are staying sober.

My new saying is 'Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes'.

I am doing it and you too can beat this
Old 12-26-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Zebra and Gr8t I am very sorry to hear about your BFF that has to be very hard . I am going to do everything I can to make the AA meeting if not cancelled tmrrw we are having a blizzard . I am kinda excited because I missed the snow last year. Now that I counted which I hadn't done I am on day 15 as too=) I never really counted before but it seems to be a good thing to do. I have gone as much as 4 months I believe but never made it past that ..so a support system seems to be the way to go. Thanks for the heads up on the chats . Everyone here has been wonderful and I find myself here instead of wasting time on fb. Hope everyone had a wonderful and sober holiday. For me it wasn't too hard as I haven't really drank around my family in years well out in the open anyway.