Notices

What Made You Stop Drinking?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Made You Stop Drinking?

It started with one cold beer in a pub on a Saturday night. It was a beautiful evening, and from the little verandah of the seaside pub, you could see the sun sinking into the Atlantic.

Man, this is the life, I thought, as a friend put down another two foaming jugs of ale in front of us. I was in my forties, and loved the ambience of the pub: the laughter, animated conversation and, most of all the numbing buzz that started in your head and settled gently in your feet. I felt great. Life was just beginning, my kids were doing well at school, I was happily married, and running a marathon a week. Hey barman, get us another two!

Other friends joined us; we bought more drinks. Before long, tequilas were lined up like sheep at a trough, and then someone suggested rum. But that was okay; after 20 years of drinking, I knew how to handle the rough stuff. And anyway, tomorrow I’d shake it off in the surf.

I don’t know how I got home, but I do remember waking up at 5 am feeling a sharp, almost unbearable pain radiating from the centre of my chest down my back. It felt as if an elephant had decided to catch some R&R on my sternum. I got out of bed, walked a few paces and went down. Forget about the hangover; this was the real deal. I knew I was having a heart attack. As I lay on the floor, I remember having a deep sense of regret that I hadn’t done anything about my drinking before. Somehow, I remembered a cache of aspirin I’d left in the kitchen. I dragged myself there, and poured it down my throat. That saved my life.

Since then, I’ve had some invasive surgeries and a heart bypass. I’m still an alcoholic. But, just for today, I’m not going to have that cold beer in the pub.

What made YOU stop drinking?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The pub can have it!! We don't need no stinking beer.
What made me stop drinking is insanity. When close people started dying..it made me VERY angry. Something clicked. I was done with the insanity. Now I am working on the anger..not sure WHY it took me so long to see what I have been doing to myself. I am not one to self destruct. That ..is what I am trying to figure out!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I stopped enjoying it as much. It was consuming me. When I could drink next, when I could get really drunk next, what time could I start drinking, when was my husband going out of town so I could REALLY 'relax' etc. It was exhausting.

I did a healthy eating/no drinking thing for 3 weeks and felt amazing. It took me 5 months after that to finally quit. But it was the draw of feeling good that got me there. During those 5 months I realize that I can't moderate. That was a real eye opener. I always thought I could if I wanted to but I can't.

I know now that if I have one I'll either have 8 or I'll be pissed off that I can't have 8. Every day had a cloud over it when I was drinking.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went from enjoying it to requiring it. Plus I am cheap and got sick of spending so much money to make me feel so crappy.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Yes TwoJacks - the high cost of low living.

I hear it at every meeting.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was beaten by booze and I knew it. I had battered myself down so low mentally and just had a feeling like "I just can't be doing with this anymore." I was lying awake in some dump of a drug den fighting off a panic attack and had signing on at the job centre to look forward to. I was mentally ruined and I had beaten myself into submission and knew without doubt that I am an alcoholic and addict. I knew that people like me either get sober or they die and that they were the only options for me.

I am so grateful for hitting that point as I was just sick and tired of it all and struggling so much in my head. I wanted peace of mind and not the tortured head that I had, I knew that I would never get that unless I surrendered.

Peace
Old 12-22-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I stopped out of the Blue one day when I binged for a whole two days and was completely wrecked in front of a couple of neighbours during the day, I felt so ashamed that I swore to myself that I would quit straight away and clean my act up, which I have done and I have never felt better in my life!
Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

In the middle of a drunken argument it hit me just how much I was fooling myself everytime I pretended alcohol wasn't ruining my life. I realized I had to choose between destroying my life with alcohol or quitting. I made the right choice and I owe it all to that startling moment of clarity and the support that has kept me recovering.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Protruding bones visible for me to see every day in the mirror (hip and foot).

The lack of phone calls or no phone calls on my birthday because I have isolated myself for years being a nasty drunk. (my bday was yesterday).

After 2 years of careful planning my new life by moving 3000 miles away to run away from my drinking and bad life I then get drunk 9 days after my move - that was the final straw. I knew then - unless I get help this will never ever go away.

I should add... I am happier now knowing I have hit my bottom. I know what a bottom is and I know what it isn't - I unequivocally hit mine. Life is getting better. Looking forward to my 30 day mark.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I couldn't stand myself anymore. I woke up every day sick as hell and hating myself. I wished I could die just to get out of the mess I'd gotten myself into. Now, a year later, I'm feeling good about myself and don't wake up feeling like death and hating myself. And I won't drink again cause I don't know if I've got any more 'recovery' left in me. I don't want to die, or worse, to find out.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I love this place.

What made me stop......many of the reasons already listed, realizing every time I drank the consequences were horrible, something crazy happened, every freakin' time...sometimes deadly.

See car in my signature? I should not have lived, my best friend of 25 yrs did not.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Getting sick of the exhausting roller coaster, all the incidents of loss of control that I regretted afterwards. As said above, I'd really stopped enjoying it as much, but still dependent on it to avoid the withdrawal, and who wants to be a slave that way?

My concept of self at that time however was so battered, there were times I found it hard to believe I deserved any better. It's the vicious cycle. But I knew it had reached the point where my life was at risk, and it was time to stop that insanity.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tired of looking and feeling like crap! That and I don't want to miss my 2 kids growing up

Holy crap gr8ful2day!!! That's awful!
Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by AWOL View Post

What made YOU stop drinking?
Pain, suffering, consequences, logic, reason, hospitals and jails; only stopped me for a few days or weeks.

It was not until I experienced a spiritual awakening that I knew I never had to drink again.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was tired of waking up with hang overs and not having any money in my wallet, or better yet a lost credit card. I was tired of not living but just existing. Feeling tired all the time also sucked. I just was tired of drinking.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was drinking 24/7 and wasn't high or happy, just miserable and in a fog. Any control I once had was long gone. I was dependent on it like I'd never been before, plus had 2 DUI's and people I cared about were angry and confused. It was over, time to come out of my coma and face the music.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Waking up in a bathroom stall at my office at 1am. Not remembering how I got there. Knowing all of my colleagues were at the party.

I am flirting with disaster, I know it. I need to make a change.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
I know now that if I have one I'll either have 8 or I'll be pissed off that I can't have 8. Every day had a cloud over it when I was drinking.
I can completely relate. I just got tired of the lifestyle. I don't enjoy it anymore I either regret it, or don't have enough to "enjoy" it.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well let's see.....cuz my life sucked.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Jeez, you described a perfect day at the pub there. Been there -- wonder if I'll always miss it somewhat. Oh well.

For me, I had been thinking occasionally about quitting for a while because deep down I knew things weren't right. I engaged in a lot of denial, though, and I loved to drink, so I kept on doing it. Then I had a binge night from hell resulting from having too much wine at home (pre Thanksgiving stocking up). Threw up red wine all over the place, blacked out and the spent the next day at work dry heaving. So not cool. The only way I could emotionally forgive myself that day was to decide to just stop drinking.