Notices

Just a little recommendation for newcomers/lurkers

Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Just a little recommendation for newcomers/lurkers

The suggestion is: keep reading and posting. Duh..... People say it all the time here at SR, just like AA members say "keep coming back." That's because it's so important for us to be involved with other alcoholics. Infact, it's beyond important. It's how we recover.

SR is great for SOOOO many reasons:

1. It's always "open for businesss" (instant gratification! and we all know how much we like that!)

2. There's always something/someone new - if you read enough posts, you'll
find something that will help you stay sober today.

3. It's free - you don't even have to have gas money to get here. (You don't even have to get dressed or do your hair).

4. Your post will help others - no matter what you're going through,someone
else is going through the same thing and needs to hear what you need to
say.

5. You can be totally honest without worrying about who's listening. You have total anonymity. Seeing your words typed out can be very cathartic, too.

6. You'll hear from a wide variety of people with different view points.

7. Even if you're on day 1, you can give support to others that will help them stay sober. Every word of encouragement is so valuable for each of us.

So, all in all, this is a great place, and I encourage you to come here every day. It will remind you of where you've been and where you want to be. It will give you a chance to give back to others and maybe even save someone's life by saying something that resonates with them. You'll feel like family and be a part of something bigger than yourself.

I write this because SR has been my rock for the past 7+ months and I owe that sobriety to my daily visits here. I lurked for months and didn't stay sober, but something "happened" when I joined, and has continued on a daily basis. So try it, you'll like it! And you might just find that the love/wisdom here makes that kind of difference in your life too.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I was already an AA recovered alcoholic when I joined.
so my experience is a bit different.
I was not here seeking answers.

SR is for info...sharing and support.
It's a vital supplement for my local AA commitment.

Y;all keep me on track and feeling useful.
Forward we go...side by side

Last edited by CarolD; 12-21-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-21-2010, 11:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fantastic post artsoul

I came here desperate, but skeptical.
SR helped me change my life - and still does.

It's a great community and I'm still proud to be a part of it - and now I'm pleased to be able to work here too

I hope you'll join us

D
Old 12-22-2010, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post artsoul!!

I am so grateful for SR and the people here. It's a vital part of my recovery to be able to post where I'm at, both good and not-so-good, and also to receive such great responses from people who genuinely care and know what they're talking about!!

I look forward to my daily visits to SR and it's a fantastic part of my life and I'm just so grateful for everybody here. I have learned so much and have experienced nothing but love and support. I am just honest and share where I'm at and what I'm feeling.

To the newcomer; it is possible to turn your life around and experience a life in recovery far more rewarding, gratifying and contented than in active alcoholism.

Peace
Old 12-22-2010, 02:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Art what a wonderful share and great words of support. I feel the same as you and the power of the SR share has seen me through so much.

Inspirational my friend and so glad to take this ride with you. Its amazing!!

Huggs.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Artsoul, thanks for the nice uplifting post.
Very true re the reading in particular. I read everything! It has been fantastic for me.
I get so much from the banter here and as you say, the smallest point can be huge for someone reading and so everyone should join in and share their 2 cents. The newcomer has just as much as the old-timer to share as everyone is at a different stage.
On a personal note, the most profound thing I got here was a few threads dealing with childhood and past hurts and letting go, which was something I really needed to "hear".
I see a name and I am instantly drawn to see what that person has to say. We all have our favourites and our not so favourites which is what makes it so real. Just like any group of people together, with all the personalities. Sober family indeed!
Have a sober Christmas everybody, and smile 'til it hurts! The holidays bring out all the family lunacy like a full moon. It is starting already in my crowd.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

thanks for your added testimonials!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post Artsoul... it's people like you who have kept people like me alive.
Even as an alcoholic I used to think of alcoholics as pavement junkies beyond hope or redemption. Until I came here. I am amazed at the unity of purpose and kindness of the people who come to SR, and most of all the absence of judgement or anger. I see alcoholics in a new light, and I really believe now that many of "the pavement junkies" are among the strongest, most sincere people I've met. As an alcoholic, I've realized that when people act in concert to open the curtains, the light comes flooding in...
Old 12-22-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Im gonna remember this time!!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As one of the 'newbies' who are here, I also read for awile before joining the group. Not one to jump blindly into anything it has always been about trust with me. The more I read, the more I wanted to belong. Now after posting I find myself when away from the computer thinking about a post I read that day & how I can respond to maybe help someone. You know, been there, done that kind of thing.

I just want to publicly say that you are all apreciated more than you know.