Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I don't want to be a drunk and I don't want to be "in recovery"

Notices

I don't want to be a drunk and I don't want to be "in recovery"

Old 12-22-2010, 05:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I think many of us felt the same way you do. It's not until we've had enough of the madness that we can make the decision to get sober.

I've read of Kudzu. It's like anything else, if it really worked, we'd all do it.

I can tell you this....I didn't think I could live without alcohol, either. I can and do. And this is the important part...life really is better without it. It really is.

Welcome to SR. Good Thread!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great points made here, would just like to add remember that alcoholism can be progressive and have various stages, also actively participating in a program such as AA can be a very different experience from just reading black and white words on a page.

Many of us drink in an attempt to fill some kind of void, the trouble is that alcohol never gives true, long standing relief - that inner emptiness in fact just grows larger over time with the dependence. There were issues that I had to address and come to terms with, psychologically and spiritually (still an ongoing work in progress). When I knew that I had to quit, I was very pessimistic about the outcome and realistically speaking, there are still the day to day issues but in general, I think I cope pretty well and am much happier with my life overall.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I talked to my Pastor years ago and I told him, "I think I might drink too much, but I'm not sure if I'm an alcoholic". He said its really simple. Just don't drink for 90 days. If you don't have a drink for 3 months then I'm sure you aren't an alcoholic. I knew it was a trick. The trick is if you go 90days you would be so proud that you would never go back to it. So I tried, I couldn't go 3 days.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good thread.... I think the bottom line is that if any one of us could be a social drinker we would not be here. It is not reality for an alcoholic to do it..plain and simple. I love alcohol too....but it has never loved me back. It took me a long time to realize that I take a drink from the bottle, then the bottle sucks the life out of me. I can't say whether or not you are an alcoholic, but the fact that you are here has to speak for something. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
din
~ still a believer ~

I read this great book: Under the Influence by James Milam andt Katherine Ketcham. It explains the physiological reasons why some people crave alcohol llike crazy and others don't. I found the book very insightful and it helped me understand that I don't drink because I am some mental maniac (although drinking might turn me into one) but because my body handles alcohol differently
I joined this forum............and bought this book at the same time,almost a yr ago.
And for me it took A LOT of the "I'm lame.......I'm weak" crap outta my sails.

it was a good start for me in understanding "MY" disease.

and I have found many........many good positive "things" to replace booze in my life ........
and probably for the first time EVER..........I like me
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I just can't stomach the thought of stopping forever.....

I have not touched the stuff now for nearly 10 years.

Sometimes I think I need to pinch myself to realize just how good my life is without alcohol.........I missed SO much of life drinking.

There IS a specific path to follow.......pls join me. You WILL BE BLOWN AWAY!