Notices

Brand new to this and looking for guidance.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Brand new to this and looking for guidance.

Hello everyone,
I just found this site today. I have been reading things online for about two days and have come to realize that my drinking is more of a problem than I thought. It is affecting my family and I just want it to stop. I didn't think I had a problem because I didn't drink everyday. Heck, I would go a week or more without a drink. Problem is once I have one beer then about 12 or so more follow and almost everytime I do or say something that I regret. I just need to stop completely but have so many things running through my mind. Will I lose all of my friends? Will they all think I am crazy and that I dont' really have a problem? I don't know what else to say so thanks for listening and I will check back later.
Jeeper
Old 12-21-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jeeper2010 View Post
Hello everyone,
Will I lose all of my friends? Will they all think I am crazy and that I dont' really have a problem?
Jeeper
Welcome to SR. If you lose these folks from your life because you decide you don't want to drink anymore, they aren't your friends. They're drinking buddies. Kiss them goodbye. From what you were saying about your behavior when you drink, you might lose them anyways because of the way you act when drunk. You tell me what is crazier, continuing what you are doing? Or stopping the madness?

You decide.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I quit drinking a year ago and haven't regretted a moment since then. My life is better than ever and I feel good most of the time. It's the best thing I've done for myself in a long time.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. I am so glad I found SR. I think it will help me greatly on my journey towards sobriety. My first real test will be this Christmas with my family. Like I have read on many posts one day at a time.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Howdy Jeeper, I just found this site yesterday. Amazing resource full of awesome people, huh?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great Site

I think something guided me to this site. It is VERY helpful.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jeeper, I'm with you on this one. My in-laws have a fantastic feast of 7 fishes Italian dinner on christmas eve, but each year we've tried to outdo the previous one by finishing bottle after bottle of champagne. I think we finished 20 or so last year. I guess I'll be sitting that one out this year
Old 12-21-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. I wonder if my drinking is really *that bad* and if my friends will think I'm overreacting or being too drastic by quitting. You can't make choices based on what other people think. I decided I want to quit because I am uncomfortable with what my drinking has become. If my friends are real friends, they won't mind. I'm only on day 10, so time will tell who my true friends are.

Best of luck to you!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Jeeper and Darkest!!! This is the best place ever..
That is why I tossed in the towel and quit drinking..1 is not enough..and then you are in a blackout! I tried the moderation experiment ALOT of us have tried..no way! It puts you in constant frustration and withdrawal..after the 1st couple of weeks I found this calm that I have not known in years. Hang in there..it gets better!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by oakleaf82 View Post
Welcome! I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. I wonder if my drinking is really *that bad* and if my friends will think I'm overreacting or being too drastic by quitting. You can't make choices based on what other people think. I decided I want to quit because I am uncomfortable with what my drinking has become. If my friends are real friends, they won't mind. I'm only on day 10, so time will tell who my true friends are.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks and good luck to you also! We can do this.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Jeeper!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I posted before but the gremlins got it LOL
Welcome Jeeper

D
Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are taking action to improve your future.
I've never regretted the drink I did not take.

welcome to our recovery community...
Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jeeper! If you think you need to quit taking that first drink, then remember that you're quitting for yourself. I thought my friends would make such a big deal about me not drinking, but it turned out that either they didn't care or they thought it was a good thing. After a few seconds of teasing from my drinking friends, they dropped it and moved on to being concerned with their own drinks. Truth be told, I've realized that hanging out with others while they drink is kind of boring and annoying. If they really are your friends, they don't want you to do things you'll regret later. Best of luck!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

WELCOME JEEPER! There is a saying that I like, 20 drinks is not enough but 1 it too many. I too used to go extended periods of time and not drink a few years ago. For me, as I've always been told, if your an alcoholic your drinking will progress. I went from never having more than 2 whiskey and cokes (I had a hard rule of this for years) to going to 3, then 4, then 5. Not only was I drinking more of them, but I was making them in bigger glasses - more booze in them. I went from drinking twice per week, to four times per week. Bottom line, my drinking definitely progressed.

You are in the right place if you want to quit drinking. There are so many good people here some with 20 days of sobriety (like me) others with 4 days, others with 20 years. What I have learned is nobody understands an alcoholic, like an alcoholic. Only you can decide if you are one. Read through some posts and see if you find yourself in any of them.

I wish you the best! Recovery has been the best thing that has happened to me. If I can do it, ANYONE CAN DO IT!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 02:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Jeeper. Glad you are here and you have our support.

SR is has been an invaluable tool in my recovery and I can't tell anyone enough how grateful I am for the life I lead today

Looking forward to the journey!