Notices

Watching football without booze

Old 12-20-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Watching football without booze

Man, a game like this (in the cold, snow on the ground, two good teams) is a game I would have planned on drinking all day. I find that I enjoy football a lot more now than when drinking. I am sitting on my couch with a pop and some Christams cookies and can't wait to watch this game.

I remember when drinking I'd start drinking before the game, then get on the phone, then get on the computer, then get back on the phone, and 5 drinks later (quad shot Whiskey and coke) I'd be so drunk I wouldn't even watch the 4th quarter! Wake up hungover, call in sick to work, blah blah blah...

Seems so absolutely silly now. Enjoy the game guys! Good to be sober!!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I agree! I've been watching football for the past 2 seasons sober and it's great! Congratulations on discovering football watching all over again!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! I was supposed to go to the Packers/Bears game on the 2nd, but gave my ticket up because I didn't want to go to a cold weather game. Now that I quit drinking, I am so glad I gave that ticket up. Last time I went to Lambeau, there wasn't a sober person in the place and we finished a bottle of whiskey by 10am. Packer fans are serious tailgaters. I'm too early on this journey to put myself in that atmosphere.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The best thing for me is....now I not only know who won
but how.....

My football watching ritual...put on the sweatshirt
snack on candy...Ice Tea and :
Yell myself hoarse ...just me.

Yesterday my team made the playoffs...
Go Atlanta Falcons!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I thought about you yesterday Carol (when my poor NO Saints succumbed)..... I've watched more football this season than I ever watched while drinking. It's fun to follow all the teams.

Sobriety + Football - who woulda thunk it?

Reggie - it does look cold out on that field, doesn't it?! It's nice to be sober right now and even nicer to be warm!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take the money i saved on booze, and put it on the game it's like win win. I enjoy the game more, and.... i might win a couple bucks on the side.
**** note
this does NOT endorse gambling of any sort ...
Old 12-20-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Different type of football...but my last day drinking was the world cup finals....spent most of the Wc in bars for breakfast because I had a reason to be there...lol...I don't have a TV
Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't blame you guys for not going. It looks bitter cold out there. My team is the Colts, and we close the dome if it's sunny out (literally) so needless to say we're not so much of a cold weather team. Fun game so far!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
I don't blame you guys for not going. It looks bitter cold out there. My team is the Colts, and we close the dome if it's sunny out (literally) so needless to say we're not so much of a cold weather team. Fun game so far!
At least your team wins. I've been stuck with the Seahawks since 1980 when my grandfather bought me a shirt. It must have been on sale in a walmart bin or something - especially since I am originally from Montreal (not even close). Save for Super Bowl XL ----- I have pretty much had 30 years of futility.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Different type of football...but my last day drinking was the world cup finals....spent most of the Wc in bars for breakfast because I had a reason to be there...lol...I don't have a TV
lafemme, are you from "New England" or England?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a 12th generation New Yorker on my Dads side soccer is the only major sport in the US that is growing....uhhhhmmmm, and I put the 'fan' in fanatic...lol! Been a rabid fan of the USMNT since 1993.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Never thought I could go to a football game sober, either. I mean, how could I not tailgate...so I could spend the game time in the bathroom or standing in line for beer? What game?

It's just so nice to not even have to think about that!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I'm a 12th generation New Yorker on my Dads side soccer is the only major sport in the US that is growing....uhhhhmmmm, and I put the 'fan' in fanatic...lol! Been a rabid fan of the USMNT since 1993.
Yeah when I was young I used to go see the Cosmos play when they came to town. At the time we were the Manics.
Saw Italy vs Ireland at USA 94 in NY, and Argentina vs. Greece at foxboro in 94.

Also, was at the final France vs. Brazil in Paris 98.

Played all my life, but sadly (although growing) the quality here is less than acceptable (still)..... Neverthless, I'll join the red Patch Boys at TFC games --- NY Red Bull seems to have done well with Thierry Henry signing on.

In England ----- Man U
Spain ------ N/A
Germany ------- Borussia Dortmund
Italy ------ Lazzio

World Cup ----- England, USA, Socceroos!!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
I take the money i saved on booze, and put it on the game it's like win win. I enjoy the game more, and.... i might win a couple bucks on the side.
**** note
this does NOT endorse gambling of any sort ...
Way to cover...!!! I am in football pools BUT I like to gamble too. Just a once a year trip..a whole group of us head to Deadwood to hit the slots..some of the guys like cards..I like slots. It is one vise that keeps my halo tipped. BUT it is only once a year..
Old 12-21-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Enjoying sports every bit as much WITHOUT booze has been a pleasant surprise of my sobriety. A few years ago, I attended a baseball playoff game involving my favorite MLB squad and they lost. With multiple drinks under my belt, I was DEpressed. That was one of several moments of clarity for me. This year, I was worried about attending a bunch of baseball games during relatively early sobriety. It was at a new stadium that in many ways is a monument to drinking. I'm proud to say that it really wasn't a problem, and in fact, I feel sorry for the guys dropping $7.50 for a lukewarm lousy beer. I shake my head in disbelief at guys ordering five or six beers at that rate, and I'm so happy it's not me.
Regarding football, I will admit to probably being less patient with commercials and other play stoppage. You can waste a lot of time watching unproductive football this time of year, and sobriety has helped me see that I have better things to do.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I too am a HUGE football fan and I find the sober-watching experience kind of nice! I am in a couple football pools and I have gone from 8th place in one to closing in on 1st since I quit. Hee hee.

Reggie, although we have the same quit date and are buds, our football teams are far from friendly. I was born and raised in New England........need I say more? LOL. The Manning-Brady rival.......!!!

I have the NFL ticket so I get to take in 8 games at once. It's alot easier to keep up with having a clear head!! Good for you Reggie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

VC I hear ya... If I begin to tell you how much I dislike the Patriots, I'll have to do a 10th step right away LOL...
Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

LOL Reggie.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
The best thing for me is....now I not only know who won
but how.....

My football watching ritual...put on the sweatshirt
snack on candy...Ice Tea and :
Yell myself hoarse ...just me.

Yesterday my team made the playoffs...
Go Atlanta Falcons!
GO FALCONS!!! Big game next Monday! I too have ceased on drinking during the FB games, I usually end up with a pounding head ache later on so it's just not worth it.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I can't decide who to pick this week in the pool......New Orleans or Atlanta? NO does not always show up!