Notices

Agnostics and Atheists at Holiday Time

Old 12-21-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Demut: Just to set the record straight you might take a look at Dubbguy's post after my initial post. I'm the guy that was concerned that folks were making fun of the Christian interpretation of Christmas. I guess I should have not mentioned this but my basic point stands, namely that I think that it's best for recovering alcoholics to get on with it and not make fun of the beliefs of others. It doesn't really help with sobriety.

W.

Last edited by wpainterw; 12-21-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-22-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thx for this post W I am so grateful for my recovery as if I were drunk.....I would engage in some longwinded ramble about nothing....lol.

I have plenty to be thankful for as the year winds down.....by whatever name if any we choose to call this time of the year.

Wishing you all well!!

Last edited by Kmber2010; 12-22-2010 at 02:58 AM. Reason: spelling...yikes!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Atheist. I celebrate Christmas because everyone else around me does. People will buy me stuff so I'm obligated to do the same in return. Everyone wastes a lot of money and eats a lot of food. It's tradition.

Some already covered the origins of the holiday...don't have anything else to add.

Hope everyone has a good holiday and stays substance free.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I don't care if you're agnostic, athiest or a Candy Cane, I wish peace to you and yours. The holidays are a much needed excuse for me to spend some much needed time with my family that I don't get to see very much.

It's what YOU make of it. Like painter said, 'Lets hope in 2011 more of us are okay'.

Have a good day, friends. Play Nice!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone: Now that I think of it, aside from the food aspect (which I find a personal challenge in view of my waistline- it really annoys me that my doctor is so skinny) could this be a holiday season which, whatever one's personal beliefs, be they Zoroastrian, Tibetan Buddhist, or nonlinear postmodern rapper cultist, might emphasize the pervasive power of love, understanding and forgiveness. Of these the hardest of all might be to forgive oneself, And to hope that, if only at this one time of the year, there might be a package underneath the tree which, when opened, might contain the rarest and most precious gift of all- wisdom. For that I have only to look into the eyes of my dog to see all that with love and understanding I might with good fortune become.

W.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Awakening...

All I have to add is have a Happy Buddha Christmas everyone! :P
Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good topic. For me, I treat Christmas as two holidays. There is religious Christmas and Santa Christmas.

I enjoy both.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

take a look at Dubbguy's post
What a putz, eh? Sorry about that; can't even keep a thread straight. But, that sums it up for me the past few weeks - all over the place. Sorry!!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

That's quite O.K. Demut. Just so I go on record as completely agreeing with you that for me, as well as probably a majority of others, Christmas is and should be about one thing, the birth of Christ. Just who Christ was has been open to debate but one thing stands out, that he said that the path to the spirit was one of love, simplicity and forgiveness. That can come from understanding others. I believe that this is so and cannot subscribe to the cynical remarks of those who ridicule the beliefs of persons who have done no harm. That this should be done in the name of sobriety seems to me grotesque. For wisdom, it may be well to look into the eyes of a child, or even a dog. Yes, especially a dog.

W.