Notices

Looking For Ideas

Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking For Ideas

I just found this forum today and thought it would be interesting to find others that are willing to share their experiences with overcoming.

I never really considered myself an alcoholic until recently. I knew I had a problem with alcohol, but I never really thought it to be that bad. I recently decided, however, that as I approach the age of fifty that I needed to face up to certain realities. One of those realities is that when I start drinking I have a hard time stopping.

I don't tend to drink all night long, but I might in certain circumstances. I certainly did when I was younger. And the things that I did when I was younger have helped to shape the idea that I am an alcoholic.

In days past I have gone to work drunk, I have awaken in a pool of my own vomit and I have been so intoxicated that I as unable to remove my pants to go to the bathroom. Although these types of incidents happened years ago they are still a part of my history with alcohol and that tendancy to drink beyond two drinks is still there and was happening frequently.

My family history has been shaped by alcohol. My grandfather died in a car accident after a night of drinking when I was only five years old. I never had the pleasure of really getting to know him. I have one cousin who was badly burned during a scouting campout where alcohol was present. I have another cousin who has lost the use of his legs because of an automobile accident he had while intoxicated. Fortunately nothing this bad has happened to me while intoxicated, but I want to make sure that it never does.

I had images of people who wake up to a bloody mary and end their day with several martinis as those who are true alcoholics. I was afraid to use the term in my case. I felt that alcohol abuser was more appropriate. I have a problem with alcohol, though, and the reality is that no matter the style or severity, I am an alcoholic.

I might sound silly, but I feel like my body tells me that I can live to be a hundred years old if I will start taking better care of it. I really feel like I am just half way though my life on this earth. I am taking steps to make this happen and admitting my alcoholism is one of them.

I have actually gone long periods of time without drinking so to say I am on my fifth week without drinking seems a small feat. This time, however, I am saying that I can drink no more because of my condition.

I am hoping to find those with similar stories to help me meet my goal of being alcohol free from now on and forever. Thanks for your support.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Gemini and welcome to SR!

You will find many amazing people here in various stages of recovery and with every background possible.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

It is difficult for some to don the label "alcoholic" when they don't drink all the time. Some of us are "maintenance drinkers or users". We drank frequently to get through our days. Some of us stayed drunk. Then there is the binge drinker. They can stay out of the hooch for long periods of time. Without warning or notice, they go on a bender. It may be a night or a month. A true Jeckle & Hyde situation. And just as baffling to the drinker as it is to the onlooker! So here I want to make a point.

It isn't how much we drink that makes us alcoholics. Or what we drink. Or how often. Or where or when.

Its what happens when we do drink. The inability to predict what will happen once we start, or how and when it will end. Our drinking patterns may very, but our outcomes are much the same.

There is a way out. A way to arrest the compulsion. To end the insidious outbreaks of destruction that end in shame. That end in fear. That leave us with everything we built smashed to pieces. That can all end. Life can be different. And better.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi gemini61

I turned 50 this year and I don't think it is a coincidence that we start getting serious about quitting around now. We have been doing this a bit too long and the odds are stacking up against us. We simply cannot keep punishing our bodies without any consequence anymore.

Congratulations on your early sobriety. I am at a similar stage having completed 6 weeks today. Please also visit us on the 90 days and under thread which is a daily support group (no obligation to make an appearance every day or anything)

Also there is a class of december 2010 which may be worth joining as well

Last edited by NoAlcoholToday; 12-20-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: added dec class
Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi gemini61

You will find a lot of support here - good to have you with us
Welcome!

D
Old 12-20-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I wouldn't worry too much about the label you choose. The main thing is that drinking is causing problems in your life.

I'm glad you found us!
Old 12-20-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Did I understand you correctly that you've been sober now for five weeks? If so, congrats on your sober time. This is a great place for support and understanding.