Notices

My 6th day sober..nervous about meetings..

Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My 6th day sober..nervous about meetings..

I'm a 24 year old female and made the decision on Dec 14th that I never want to pick up a drink or drug for the rest of my life. I have been holding up strong and made it through 6 days so far including a whole weekend without a drink which I'm not sure I've ever done. I know I should go to meetings to help me stay on track but I'm so nervous about going and have no one to go with me! (And I don't really feel like telling everyone I need to go to AA).

I thought about continuing to do it on my own without meetings but I keep hearing that it is very hard without the support of AA??
Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can only tell you from my own experience.......you will feel so at home in a meeting. Itz a safe place....PM if you'd like. Be happy to get you some info to help you right now.

CONGRATS ON YOUR DECISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCap View Post
I thought about continuing to do it on my own without meetings but I keep hearing that it is very hard without the support of AA??
It is hard either way. Self-remission is possible, but many people benefit from some type of support group.

You have nothing to lose by going to AA. My advice is go around 15-20 times in order to make a proper assessment and try a few different types of meetings. If you don't like it, then you can always stop.

I don't agree with AA 100% and I have met a few people in the rooms I don't like. However, there are many genuine people in the rooms who honestly care if you pick up that drink again and will help you to stay away from the first drink. If you think you will benefit from that type of support group, then give it try.

I relate with 1_day@_a_time. I felt at home and safe at my first meeting, despite it being held in a homeless shelter. It consisted of some very low bottom drunks and a few "crazies". Somehow I felt at home and safe.

Best of skill to you and gratz on day 6.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
where the light is

Took me about 3 months and 30 meetings before I felt really comfortable but the payoff has been priceless - three years sober, tons of sober friends, and really having a great time living life! Just gotta suck it up and do it.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tried to quit countless times on my own and failed every time and my alcoholism only got worse. I didn't want to do AA either and had lots of reservation. But I was desperate so I decided to give it my honest effort and see what happens. Much to my surprise I quickly made a lot of friends, people reached out to me and I wasn't alone in sobriety. For me having a program of recovery made all the difference in the world and I have been sober since.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here is what to expect: Your First AA Meeting

Where are you located?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on your early sobriety.....
Welcome to our recovery comunity

AA? I had no idea what to expect...and was not thrilled
when my doctor suggested I go.
It's been the wisest move I've ever made.

Forward is the correct direction...please come meet us
Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
31/10/10

HI Sober -
I found going to AA hard the first times - afraid people could see me enter the building and think .... But, once in the room I never regretted it. To see other normal, decent, fun, smart and successful people in the rooms recovering from their alcoholism has been such a great relief and inspiration for me. Give AA a few tries!

all the best
Vee
Old 12-20-2010, 05:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I agree, try as many meetings as you can before you decide if it's for you or not. There are many methods for staying sober tho, and AA is the best known and most widely available.

I did AA in early recovery but now am staying happily sober with the support of my addiction counselor and the people on this site.

It doesn't matter so much how you stay sober, only that you put your whole heart and soul into it.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A lot of good posts here. I tried staying sober without AA for a long time and had some success (multiple years of soberity). After relapsing, and then continually relapsing I became desperate enough to try AA. I'm glad I did.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went into my first meeting scared to death. I gave a quick 2-minute explanation of why I was there (you don't have to do this, I just wanted to). As I left, an old guy put his hand on my shoulder, gave me a phone list, and said "welcome home". That's how I feel about AA in general and my home group in particular. It's home.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are reaching out and that is just awesome! I am 19 days sober today and I was petrified to go to an AA meeting, especially ALONE! I went to a Women's meeting the first day and left with 3 phone numbers. These women are awesome. With in 3 days I found my sponsor. She is walking me through this journey. The women in AA are just like us and they have been there as well. I would at least give it a shot. You have NOTHING to lose and you may find, like so many others, that you really enjoy it. One minute at a time and just don't drink today. Best of luck to you. We can do this!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me I was nervous the first time I went and I ended up loving it. You're in a room full of people who have been exactly where you are. They know what it's like to try and quit then fail, try and control your drinking and fail, try exercise to take away the cravings, fail, try picking up a hobby to stop drinking, fail... There are people from age 18 up to (in my home group) 88 years old. I have found myself in so many other people there. It helps me to listen and share.

Best of luck.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Still trying to figure it out

Maybe you should select one person to tell so he/she can come with you at least the first time. I have never been but it sounds like its part of the process and it helps almost everyone who wants to stay off.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was super anxious too but ended up giving it a shot and it has helped me stay sober for 5 months now. You have made a HUGE step by committing to sobriety. The only scary part is getting to that first meeting and it gets so much easier. At least that was my experience.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi SoberCap. I have been sober since 12-19 as well. I am 39 years old and wish I would have had the courage to do this when I was 24. I just hope I can keep it going now. Congrats on your decision!