SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Trying to figure it out (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/215833-trying-figure-out.html)

louder 12-19-2010 06:11 PM

Trying to figure it out

I don't think i am an alcholic but i believe i have a drinking problem. 99% of the time, I am fine with drinking however it is the 1% that when everything goes to hell. It is like i become a totally different person. i am very aggressive and uncaring to other people's feelings. all i know something needs to change. last night i ran into my ex girlfriend for the first time in about 3 months. i ending up starting a fight with her and then punching one of her guys friends. i feel like total **** today because i am a good person but it is just went i drink. it is as simple as just don't drink anymore. i don't need to drink but i do like to drink. i only drink about 1 week. i would like to get feedback for others...

Ghostly 12-19-2010 06:37 PM

Well louder...

Up to you to figure out where to go from here. I don't know if your an alcoholic. You clearly have issues when you drink. You seem to have worries bout drinkin.

If you decide to stop there are resources for you. You will find a lot of support here at SR. Good luck with whatever you decide...keep us posted.

LaFemme 12-19-2010 06:50 PM

Hi louder! To me it sounds like alcohol detracts from the quality of your life whether you are an alcoholic or not. Try going without for 6 months and then re-evaluate...that would be my suggestion. Hang out here...you can learn a lot:)

GettingStronger2 12-19-2010 06:53 PM

You may or may not be an alcoholic. Really, only you can answer that.

the only two comments/feedback i have are:

1. If that 1% of the time is taking away from your life, why bother with alcohol at all? It does nothing for you, and without it, you can avoid those occasions.

2. most people who don't have a problem with alcohol don't ponder the question or join a recovery web community.

just sayin. ..

BP44 12-19-2010 06:55 PM

What do you think an alcoholic is?

MsCooterBrown 12-19-2010 07:11 PM

Well...I will raise my hand...I liked to drink too!! I think that is a major contribution to my alcoholism. For me..it ceased being fun when my self esteem went into the cr@pper over some of my actions while drinking. For you..it may just be that 1% of the time that you go over the edge..but the outcome could be dire one of these times. I think LaFemme has the right idea..if in doubt..go without for a period of time and see how you feel..

sailorjohn 12-19-2010 07:16 PM

Welcome!!!

Having lived in Michigan for about 49 years I'm somewhat partial to this test, but there are a few of them out there, easy to research.

Michigan Alcohol Screening Test

I'm the type, when I was active in my alcoholism, that would fudge the answers.

You may notice that they don't even use the word 'alcoholism', they prefer a euphemistic term.

Call it what you like.

I am a recovered alcoholic.

Dee74 12-19-2010 10:08 PM

Hi Louder

Some good advice here - I agree with those who've said it really doesn't matter right now whether you feel you're an alcoholic or not - the kind of things you've written about that have happened to you really aren't good, are they?

I agree with you - it is as simple as just don't drink anymore - it's definitely not easy though.

You'll find a lot of support and ideas here to help though - welcome to SR :)
D

CarolD 12-19-2010 11:00 PM

I'm glad you joined us
Welcome...:wave:

Kmber2010 12-20-2010 02:30 AM

Glad you are here Loud and I think keeping it simple works best. If you find that negative things happen when you drink and you don't like the outcome then not drinking is the best bet.

I found that every single thing I disliked about me and my life.....was due to the person I was and became when I drank.

Solution - remove alcohol and live a good life without it.

All the best!

least 12-20-2010 04:57 AM

Welcome to SR!:) You'll find lots of support here. I agree with those who suggested you give it up for a time and see how your life goes without it.

louder 12-20-2010 07:10 PM

thank you everybody for the great advice. nothing has happen to me dire yet, however who ever knows what could at that 1%. 1% really seems like a small number but you guys are right it is that 1% that really could affect your entire life. before i started to read the post tonight i thought no matter what i would go at least one month with out drinking at all and see how i feel, etc. and then revaluate from there....many thanks for all the great advice!!!

coffeenut 12-20-2010 07:52 PM

Welcome!

Most of us didn't think we had a problem, either.

Most of us have also found out it's okay that we do....and we're actually better off. :)

doggonecarl 12-21-2010 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by louder (Post 2802677)
1% really seems like a small number but you guys are right it is that 1% that really could affect your entire life.

When I first started recovery, I noticed I tended to underestimate the amount I drank, the time I spent drinking, and if I every thought about it in terms of percentage, I would have lowballed that figure. So even if your 1% is accurate, you have to grapple with the other 99%. If you are drinking more than the "recommended" amount of alcohol (two drinks per day for men) 99 percent of the time, then you could be marching down the path of dependence. So I agree that quitting for a month will give you something to think about...mainly how much you dwell on drinking. If you don't crave it, great.