Notices

On edge, but feeling a tiny bit hopeful - 2 Days

Old 12-19-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On edge, but feeling a tiny bit hopeful - 2 Days

I am a professional female in my late 30s who has abused alcohol for roughly 6 years now. My drug of choice is red wine. I can drink as much as 2-3 bottles a day during a drinking binge. I do not drink daily, but haven't gone without a drink for longer than 5 days in a long, long time. I have a small degree of control over my drinking, as in I am able to abstain in situations where it is just unacceptable to overindulge (i.e. - a baby shower where light cocktails are being served).

That said, I feel powerless over red wine, and want to lead a happy and productive life. I want "normal" problems, like where I want to send my future child to school, and NOT worrying about where around town I can discreetly discard my empty bottles.

I do not have health insurance at the moment, like many people, so I feel that getting blood tests to determine how much physical damage I have done to myself is unlikely. Right now, I am just focused on not drinking.

My last drink was 2 days ago, and I know I will make it through the rest of today. I am scared and anxious about what I have done to my body, and afraid I will eventually die with chronic alcoholism as a contributing factor. Stopping drinking would resolve a lot of my problems, and I want peace and sobriety.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there Bambi! You can do this..Welcome!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Yeah...first thing worry bout stopping. Sounds like you are ready to do that. Welcome to SR...you will find a lot of support here. You can do this, it is up to you.

Stop, then you can think about tests to see where you're at. The body does have an amazing ability to repair itself. Gotta think you may be able to find some places that will do cheap, if not free, testing.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That makes two of us, I've felt on edge but a tiny bit hopeful all day. Posting here on SR is something that is helping, a lot. And I hear you on the red wine, somehow I can't just have a glass anymore. A bottle purchased is a bottle gone.

I'm a newbie here, let's try together ok?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Bambi! You're smart to stop drinking at a young age, so will not be making any bad memories for your later years.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bambi,

Good for you for recognizing you have a problem before it gets any worse. And, I definitely remember wanting to have 'normal' problems, rather than spending the morning trying to piece together what I did last evening.

We do understand!
Old 12-19-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi EmpressBambi

Welcome to SR. You have done a great thing by coming to this forum, you will get so much support from people here who understand what you are going through.

I am male but I too used to drink 2-3 bottles of (white) wine a day and then top it off with some vodka just for good measure!! Don't get too hung up about health tests at this stage - you are still young and you haven't been an alcoholic for that long compared with a lot of other people on the forums here. The most important thing is that you don't continue like this and then decide you ought to do something about quitting in another decade. The body can do an amazing job of repair and recovery providing you can give it a chance.

When I came here I spent quite a lot of time reading about all the different possibilities and what different methods other people are finding works for them - there is no magic bullet that suits everyone. The support here is great and it is amazing that, if you just stick with it in the very early stages, then all of a sudden you have done a few weeks. My whole attitude to life has already lifted and I hardly get any cravings even though it has only been a few weeks. And I no longer visit 5 different stores to buy alcohol or try to find discreet ways to dispose of empties - what a relief!!!

Keep coming to SR and posting here. You won't regret it.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on day two as well. We can do this.

Your body can heal if you stop drinking. It can not heal if you do not.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Empress! You'll find tons of support here. Please stick around and read the posts. There is a comforting feeling not going through this all alone. We're happy to have you here!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi EmpressBambi
Welcome to SR

I encourage you to see a Dr - no matter what it costs, I think it's worth it - at the very least it would help you stop feeling scared and anxious - but that of course is up to you

You'll find a lot of support here - it really helps in the tough times
Good to have you with us!
D
Old 12-19-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! I don't have much to add, everyone has given such great advice already. If you do decide you want to get he tests done eventually, perhaps all the money you save by not buying wine will help you :-)
Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Empress - Congrats on two days sober and on choosing to stop drinking. I was scared and not very hopeful when I came here but things have slowly gotten so much better (going on 8 months now). I thought about drinking (or not drinking) non-stop.

Just wanted to say welcome and keep hanging in there minute-to-minute if you have to. It gets better - it really does!