SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day one is in the bag (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/215778-day-one-bag.html)

closetdrinker 12-18-2010 05:37 PM

Day one is in the bag

Someone told me on about mile 23 of my 2nd marathon, this one's in the bag. That is, we both knew we make the full run, even if we had to walk the next 3 miles.

So it is tonight. Evening came and mostly went. Day one is in the bag.

For me, day one is not the hardest, maybe its day 23. Last year, I went 1 and a half months dry. Not even a smoke. In October, I went two weeks. I've never been a daily drinker, but a drinker nonetheless.

This may be different. I finally want to say enough. Its not OK to say I only drank twice this week. I want to count my time in years.

Today is day one. See you tomorrow.

oakleaf82 12-18-2010 05:41 PM

Congrats to you!

MsCooterBrown 12-18-2010 05:47 PM

Good job CD!! Triggers came and went for the first couple of weeks...It got easier after that. For me..sometimes I think it was just what I did..like a habit. I felt like I should be drinking. Now the thought of it makes me sick. I don't subject myself to being around it..you are in a good spot in the way that your wife doesn't drink..that is a whole new ball game to deal with.

Anna 12-18-2010 05:48 PM

Good for you!

artsoul 12-18-2010 05:48 PM

Congrats on day 1! I'll definitely be here tomorrow, too!:c011:

Ghostly 12-18-2010 06:05 PM

Nice job on day 1!

least 12-18-2010 06:32 PM

Good for you taking that first step toward sobriety and a better life.:c011:

Dee74 12-18-2010 07:24 PM

congratulations CD :)

D

mygrandfather 12-19-2010 10:55 AM

CD what marathons did you run? Mile 20-26 is definitely the second "half" of the race. I'll keep counting days in the bag with you. We can do this.

closetdrinker 12-19-2010 02:11 PM

That was Phila, three autumns ago. I remember her words because they came just about when I hit the wall, you know, thinkng you can't go any farther, and the women next to me says, its in the bag. Strong words of encouragement, they were.

Ghostly 12-19-2010 02:16 PM

That's really cool...I like that. It's in the bag.

mygrandfather 12-19-2010 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by closetdrinker (Post 2801381)
That was Phila, three autumns ago. I remember her words because they came just about when I hit the wall, you know, thinkng you can't go any farther, and the women next to me says, its in the bag. Strong words of encouragement, they were.

Awesome, I really want to run Philly, (actually I want to run Philly and then go get a real Philly cheesesteak or two afterwards). It is a powerful feeling when you know that you will cross that finish line, that it's actually gonna happen.

I've been thinking a lot about why it is I can get myself motivated to do 26.2...a good thing. And then do something as foolish as drinking beyond normal bounds...and doing it more and more often.

beaglenut 12-19-2010 05:49 PM

day one for me, too

Here I go again. Day one again, again, again. I feel like crap and I am just shocked that I have let myself drink over and over.

mygrandfather 12-19-2010 05:58 PM

I'm there with you beaglenut, same frustrations and questions. I mean, how many times am I gonna do this to myself? we can do this.

beaglenut 12-19-2010 06:02 PM

I feel like I must be brain dead

Why can't I do this? Why do I do this to my body? I don't even enjoy the taste of alcohol now. I am just doing it to numb. It has cost me my marriage, my house and my children. I know what I have to do, but I can't put it all together somehow.

pascal 12-19-2010 06:26 PM

Day 49 after a decade of secret drinking. You can do it. I have found a lot of help here at SR. I strongly recommend opening up to a friend and give AA a try. Remember, a day at a time.