Notices

And again.. ANOTHER boring Saturday nigh!!!

Old 12-18-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Wink And again.. ANOTHER boring Saturday nigh!!!

Oh yes.. Just sitting here and hanging out.. Bored as all hell but it's ok. I'm sober. I am not able to drive my car until I get home from the holidays in a couple weeks so I am unable to get to a meeting to kill off atleast an hour of boredom. I've got numbers and know tons of people but they are all busy but it's all good. Thank God for this sweet site that I can troll around on and lurk and read and post and share. I think I'm going to go over a few of the amends I have to make while I go home for the holidays on leave this week, write in my journal a little bit, and do a little conscious contact with God..

After all that good stuff I might try and finish the book I picked up a few weeks ago, I'm halfway through it but it's only a 300 page book. Than I got a couple new release movies that I need to finish watch, Town and Inception.. Which both are amazing atleast the little bit that I have watched so far. And then I might smoke a couple cigarettes.. (I'm on this new smoking cessation medication, I've cut back from a pack and a half to less than 3/4 a pack and some days 1/4 a pack a day)

Mmmm the freedom of rambling...

My meaning for doing this rambling would seem pointless, but I really am trying to get at something here.

We are all going through recovery, and we all are in different stages of recovery. I am at a pretty good stage in my recovery, but even though I would consider myself "well" there are still off days. There is always boredom.. And boredom can be a big killer to someones sobriety. But I intend in this post to show others especially the newcomer that boredom can always be filled with things to do, such as my short list in the beginning of this post. Even if you only half enjoy what you are doing.. Atleast you aren't letting yourself dwell on something that may lead to disaster which in disaster in my definition today would be getting drunk or high.

So if you get a chance unlike me today.. GO TO A MEETING... if not, try and pick up a book, watch a movie you haven't seen before, ramble on in a "seemingly" pointless post, play some video games, call your family, call your friends, pray to God.. If you have never done that then introduce yourself to God... "Hello God, I am Kevin, and I want to talk to you" lol.. yes I have done that! Write in your journal.. if you don't have one, start one! blah blah blah blah... there are tons of things that can kill off boredom.. I just hope that my boredom which lead me to this boringly long post about boredom can help others haha.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks Green Acres - great post!

A little boredom is definitely better than a bunch of pain from drinking, that's for sure!!

When I think I'm bored I remind myself that there's lots to do around the house. That's when I say, well maybe I'm not THAT bored!!

Glad we're both sober this Saturday night!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Sober Saturday...woo hoo! Glad you're doin well Green.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm stayin in tonight too. A little bored as well but I don't want to go out and be tempted to drink.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know what you mean GreenAcres. Boredom is one thing that is a big trigger for me and probably for most people who are trying to be sober. It's hard sitting home on a Saturday night and then possibly a lot of Satuday nights. For me not to drink I get on the internet, tv, movies, some video games (even though they get old), and some reading is OK once in a while. Clean up the place. Take a stroll and clear my mind. It's hard, I know. Keep strong man. Keep strong.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will take boredom any day of the week over doing manuvers! I saw some guy that had gotten pulled over touching his nose and not doing a very good job of it. That would just bite!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hooligan

yeah i was in the same boat, but i just put on a movie and fell asleep at like 10, was good to sleep that early all night through
Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My weekends while drinking really were far more boring now that I can think objectively about things. Sitting home alone, drinking, listening to music then nursing a hangover for the thousandth time was not fun or interesting.