Notices

Being the abnormal one and it bothers me to no end.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

No real solutions, just want to say I can relate. I feel like I have a hard time connecting with very many people. Also, I agree with drent that this guy said you were interesting because he was interested! Better to be interesting than boring right?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I never wanted to settle for normal...
I aimed for special.....and the new non drinking me is.
Winners over alcohol are strong..smart and special.

I appreciate people who are interesting...they keep me growing
Dull people are not for me.

Well done on your early sobriety....you are a winner..
Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

interesting is a good thing....would you rather be boring and ordinary? Interesting is Unique. and you are unique and interesting in your clear headed sobriety...i think interesting and SMART go together.

this guy's wife pulled his leash to heel for a reason....he was trying to be subtle but i will bet he was hitting on you.

you are on a great journey of self-discovery...soooo BE interesting to talk to, i take you are not wearing outfits made of hair and sirloin steak...but if you want to blend, dress a bit conservative and don't fall off of your high heels.

and FWIW...Lady Gaga is laughing all the way to the bank...
Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think I understand where you're coming from imatryin... I have been an outcast my entire life, since day one singled out for humiliation and abuse because I did not fit in. And it was not because I am exceptional in any way- it's because I am a dunder headed bonafide weirdo. So be it. I did not choose my grey matter, nor did I choose the very unloving situation I was cast into via the great gamble that is birth. As time went on, I employed a sense of humor to get through. As time went on some more, I stopped making myself the butt of jokes and began to regard others as stunted, fearful and narrow in their appreciation and perception of others. And as more time goes on I learn to find my way to people who will not patronize me or treat me as a novelty and then move on. And I am finding more that as long as I retain my boundaries and care less what others think- I find people who I can not only relate too- but who absolutely appreciate my quirkiness and would not have me any other way. I hope you find your way, too.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
interesting is a good thing....would you rather be boring and ordinary? Interesting is Unique. and you are unique and interesting in your clear headed sobriety...i think interesting and SMART go together.

this guy's wife pulled his leash to heel for a reason....he was trying to be subtle but i will bet he was hitting on you.

you are on a great journey of self-discovery...soooo BE interesting to talk to, i take you are not wearing outfits made of hair and sirloin steak...but if you want to blend, dress a bit conservative and don't fall off of your high heels.

and FWIW...Lady Gaga is laughing all the way to the bank...
LOL Fandy! youre too funny! Such a warm response! Ummm - I never thought about her doing that for that reason.

I love this journey and want to be self discovered ASAP!

This guy in me noon AA meeting thought I should be honored to be compared to Lady Gaga. So I humored him and said I was. I am envious of her in that she is seemingly content with who she is... money is a bonus too.

Thanks Fandy!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I think I understand where you're coming from imatryin... I have been an outcast my entire life, since day one singled out for humiliation and abuse because I did not fit in. And it was not because I am exceptional in any way- it's because I am a dunder headed bonafide weirdo. So be it. I did not choose my grey matter, nor did I choose the very unloving situation I was cast into via the great gamble that is birth. As time went on, I employed a sense of humor to get through. As time went on some more, I stopped making myself the butt of jokes and began to regard others as stunted, fearful and narrow in their appreciation and perception of others. And as more time goes on I learn to find my way to people who will not patronize me or treat me as a novelty and then move on. And I am finding more that as long as I retain my boundaries and care less what others think- I find people who I can not only relate too- but who absolutely appreciate my quirkiness and would not have me any other way. I hope you find your way, too.

Very good and very interesting.

"I did not choose my grey matter, nor did I choose the very unloving situation I was cast into via the great gamble that is birth." relatable

"I have been an outcast my entire life, since day one singled out for humiliation and abuse because I did not fit in. And it was not because I am exceptional in any way" relatable

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I never wanted to settle for normal...
I aimed for special.....and the new non drinking me is.
Winners over alcohol are strong..smart and special.

I appreciate people who are interesting...they keep me growing
Dull people are not for me.

Well done on your early sobriety....you are a winner..
Okay! You win. I will enjoy my ride on Crazy Train. LOL
Old 12-17-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oakleaf82 View Post
No real solutions, just want to say I can relate. I feel like I have a hard time connecting with very many people. Also, I agree with drent that this guy said you were interesting because he was interested! Better to be interesting than boring right?
Ha. Well, never wouldve guest it. Then again, I was hammered by the end.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

hey imatryhard. i agree with what everyone has been saying here. ive always been told that im weird/intresting/different too. i used to try to rein it in and be more subdued, but now i love that im like that. id rather talk to someone whos intresting than someone who is dull and boring lol

Let your freak flag fly!! -the family stone lol
Old 12-17-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Aimee

One of the unintended benefits of sobriety for me has been the way I've become comfortable with who I am.

I'm disabled - I've always felt like an outcast too, always wanted to be normal, always hated being different.

I spent years wondering, obsessing even, over what other people thought of me. It's very exhausting to measure your self worth or to seek validation from other people.

I'm very thankful that, in the process of working on myself sober, I found my self worth within.

I am me - and there's not another me in the world - and never will be. I find something empowering in that - you should too.

D
Old 12-17-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I agree with the others, interesting is great!! I would hate to be run-of-the-mill boring. Here is run-of-the-mill: work all day, come home, watch TV all night, shop for crap once in a while. Repeat.

Celebrate your uniqueness!! You are a gift to the world, no one is like you, and that is fabulous!!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

you are welcome my dear....(you are the same age as my daughter who endured being called "refridgerator Perry" as a child)....now she is 5'10" and very statuesque....smart and wealthy....

I'm of the club "he who laughs last....laughs best".....they will be eating their words at some point....you just keep on the straight and narrow, remember who you are and how far you have come....you have wonderful support HERE and you are a strong person...you quit your drinking (which i consider self-abuse), you have a beautiful little kitty and you have your whole life ahead of you...you are grateful in your sobriety and I double-dam!!guarantee you that someone one will appreciate your unique perspective...sooner rather than later....do not settle...select your friends.

****{hugs}}}
Old 12-17-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

^^^^^^ what Fandy said.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

this is what i thought too Fandy!
interesting is the best. i was my most boring sitting around drinking my face off and feeling sorry for myself and, i did it alone. good god, the thought bores me to tears now.

i have some recovery now, i am very interesting.
i had to stop drinking to discover my wicked side. hehehehehe
i used to live south of the mason dixon line, it has got to be better than north of ontario!
bwahahahahaha!

beth
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Well I love lady gaga

I am considered eccentric by my conservative friends and conservative by my eccentric (artist) friends....I just can't win...lol

For me, learning how to love myself is a cornerstone to my recovery....my therqapist hass been an amazing help in that regard. All my life I have been told to conform....which goesw against my personality except for the part of me that is a people pleaser....talk about conflicted!

So part of learning to love myself involves unearthing my authentic self...how can you love yourself if you don't even know who you are?

Xoxo, lafemme
Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss GREAT ADVICE, MsCooter ... I'm gonna save that one in my "words of wisdom" file ... right up there with "it is what it is". NICE!!

Here's one my sponsor, a real old-timer, told me:

"Normal is a setting on a washing machine." That kinda put it in perspective for me!
Old 12-18-2010, 06:15 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Aimee

One of the unintended benefits of sobriety for me has been the way I've become comfortable with who I am.

I'm disabled - I've always felt like an outcast too, always wanted to be normal, always hated being different.

I spent years wondering, obsessing even, over what other people thought of me. It's very exhausting to measure your self worth or to seek validation from other people.

I'm very thankful that, in the process of working on myself sober, I found my self worth within.

I am me - and there's not another me in the world - and never will be. I find something empowering in that - you should too.

D
Thank you Dee.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fandy View Post
you are welcome my dear....(you are the same age as my daughter who endured being called "refridgerator perry" as a child)....now she is 5'10" and very statuesque....smart and wealthy....

I'm of the club "he who laughs last....laughs best".....they will be eating their words at some point....you just keep on the straight and narrow, remember who you are and how far you have come....you have wonderful support here and you are a strong person...you quit your drinking (which i consider self-abuse), you have a beautiful little kitty and you have your whole life ahead of you...you are grateful in your sobriety and i double-dam!!guarantee you that someone one will appreciate your unique perspective...sooner rather than later....do not settle...select your friends.

****{hugs}}}:you_rock_
<3 <3 <3
Old 12-18-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
this is what i thought too Fandy!
interesting is the best. i was my most boring sitting around drinking my face off and feeling sorry for myself and, i did it alone. good god, the thought bores me to tears now.

i have some recovery now, i am very interesting.
i had to stop drinking to discover my wicked side. hehehehehe
i used to live south of the mason dixon line, it has got to be better than north of ontario!
bwahahahahaha!

beth
In the end - drinking alone was imperative since I was a destructive drunk (ya know - slapping people in the face) SIGH.

You moved quite a distance! It's 30 degrees here, but I am from California so it's different. I love my new home tho!

Thank you for your kind words!
Old 12-18-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kadybug View Post
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss GREAT ADVICE, MsCooter ... I'm gonna save that one in my "words of wisdom" file ... right up there with "it is what it is". NICE!!

Here's one my sponsor, a real old-timer, told me:

"Normal is a setting on a washing machine." That kinda put it in perspective for me!
"Normal is a setting on a washing machine." That kinda put it in perspective for me!" That's good!