Notices

day 17. how many of u r going thru blah depressed days?

Old 12-16-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 17. how many of u r going thru blah depressed days?

Day 17 for me. I have no craving to drink but I am tired lately. This is day 2 of just laying in bed.Why depressed and just blah feelin. I am glad I haven't drank nor wish to. Do any of you just want to be left alone sometimes.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

One of the things that was the hardest to learn for me, was that life still happens. Bad days, bad moods, tragic events, 'blah' days etc.. still happen, life goes on and now we don't have our old way to just blot it out or put a bandaid on it. If you're concerned about depression, which is treatable, please do see your doctor.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bochuck

I think depression after we stop drinking is pretty normal...please do see your Dr tho if your concerned, or if you think it's gone on too long

D
Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks but it will pass. Don't need a dr. I go back to work tmrw away for 5 days so I will be busy and snap out of it. I think smacked is right. I am experiencing life. That's all. Without the bottle. My mum is going to have her pacemaker replaced tmrw morning and I can't be therw. Live miles away so while working she will be on a operating table at 8am. Dr said it is routine surgery. Still I feel guilty not being there. It is grey and snowy and ice outside. Which may have to do with the holdrums. Mum will be fine. I know.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

Yeah, but I was depressed even before.

Was sobriety going to make my life wonderful? No. But it gives me the best shot. If you were like most of us you were depressed or emotionally oblivious while you drank, but now you have an opportunity to change things. Go for it, do what it takes.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early sobriety is a time of emotional ups and downs, often in the same day! With each passing sober day you should start feeling better. If you don't, please see your doctor.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I think you're right that you're just getting used to real life with numbing yourself. Getting back into the routine of work might help you.

Prayers for your mum and you tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cultivating Sobriety

I can concur; I am on day 7 and yesterday was the same. Not depression, but a blah humbug mood off and on. I have read up for a long time on these forums, and from what I have read it's pretty normal. People post uplifting moods at 60 days, 2 weeks, etc. But some post blah's also. Like said above, if it's true depression, that would need attention, but if it's like me, you probably are having the realization that you are not going to drink, even subconsciously, and that pisses off that addictive voice. Hopefully time will fade that, I have faith it will. In any event, the alternative is worse; drinking, hangovers, embarrassments.

Hang in there, I am with ya.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I first got sober I thought my life would do a 180 overnight and everything would be hunky dory...not so much...but it did get better little by itsy bitsy little. Some days (especially in month 1 & 2) the slowness of change made me blah....but nowadays not so much.

Xo, LaFemme
Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yep, what smacked said. Just because you are sober doesn't mean you'll never feel bad. But, as bad as you feel sober....it'll never be as bad as being a drunk.

If you are suffering from depression, please do see a doc. They can help.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, blah days do suck but I'll take a blah day over a hungover day anytime. I dunno if it will work for you Bo but I've found that the best therapy for that is to just get outside. Let that sun hit your skin and soak it up. It's kind of chilly where I'm at right now so I'll go to the gym and walk/run on the treadmill, get some of the fluids going, maybe even lift some weights. It always seems to work for me, I dunno just give it a try it may work for you?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My answer to your question is yes. It wasn't that recently that I quit drinking, but I am not in the best frame of mind. I would say you can do yourself a favour by doing what you can when it comes to the preference for being alone. Try to do more than you are feeling the inclination to do. I remember an inertia that dropped on me later than a couple of weeks into sober time, but it got better and it took action on my part, and part of it was as basic as just staying in motion. Rest and heal but don't stay inert. Keep going.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I can relate - I wondered if I'd ever get motivated to do anything. I felt tired and blah a lot of the time in early sobriety, yet glad to be sober just the same. I had some good days of course, and the mornings without a hangover were always great. But I definitely felt like a blob some days.

At about 4 months sober my energy came back big time as well as my interest in doing things. It sounds like it took a long time, but considering how long I drank and how miserable I got to be, even those blah days were better than what I'd been used to.

Hang in there!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bochuck View Post
Day 17 for me. I have no craving to drink but I am tired lately. This is day 2 of just laying in bed.Why depressed and just blah feelin. I am glad I haven't drank nor wish to. Do any of you just want to be left alone sometimes.
-------------

Hey bochuck. I'm on 18 days myself. I had a really hard time from day 5 to 12. I had absolutely no energy at all. I think I napped on average about 3 hours per day. If that's what it takes to get through this, then so be it. I kow it sucks. The past 3 or 4 days I've had a lot of of energy and feel really good. I hope it stays like this but I am on guard all the time. I've tried to pay attention to the HALT (hungry, angry, tired, lonley) phrase. When I'm tired I read the big book and just try and sleep.

You're doing great man. 17 days is a long time. I have been told that it gets better. Hang in there man!