Notices

Living 1 day at a time with grattitude

Old 12-16-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Living 1 day at a time with grattitude

Hey everyone, its been a while since I have been on here. Just wanted to say that this has been one heck of a year. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately because I am so close to being one year sober. And, the last couple of months have been really really hard due to some family deaths, personal issues and what not. But life has gone on, and I am still here sober. I have found that the principles of living one day at a time, and having gratitude for everything in my early days of sobriety is just as important now coming up to a year sober.

Recovery work is a part of my everday life. Its morphed itself into almost everything I do. When I was first sober, I used to think what a nuisance it was, but it got me through the days. Now, I am so thankful for the tools of recovery. They are a blueprint for the rest of my life, and my life has never been better. I think now, when I go through certain situations, the tools come to me naturally for the most part. I wont lie, some days I really have to make a conscious decision to stop and live for today, or stop and be grateful. But, for the most part its getting easier. And because of it, life has gotten so much richer.

When I was first getting sober I did a lot of thinking and worrying. What things didnt work out. What if my life didnt get better sober. I found that putting that faith in a higher power not only resulted in things getting better, but I dont worry about that stuff anymore. The changes in my life for the positive have been so profound, sometimes I dont even think I recognize all of them. Things have become second nature.

I am grateful for the helpful and simple way of life the 12 steps have given me, and I plan on using them forever.

All the best to everyone and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey man. Thanks for the post!! I relate a lot mate and it's great to hear that you're doing well. Gratitude is fundamental to my recovery and when I'm feeling grateful then that's where I want and need to be at. The power of 'one day at a time' can't be underestimated.

Peace
Old 12-16-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for your losses HIgby but I'm really glad to hear you're doing well

D
Old 12-16-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats and hugs on your upcoming year sober! That's wonderful!