Notices

Sunday Blues?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sunday Blues?

Hey everyone. For the longest time I had always been getting Sunday Blues - more so out of anticipation of the upcoming work week, and as a result would start to feel "depressed" every Sunday.

Over the last several years, I had simply resorted to NFL Sunday (betting) and "drinks" as a way to make the day pass and before I knew it, it would be bed time.

However now, I find those old feelings of blues are creeping back as I have more time (clear time) to dislike the day all together. I think by default drinkers are prone to depressive feelings, anxiety, etc.... It's the chicken or the egg argument IMO, but definitely a correlation.

Are there others in here who share the same Sunday Blues? and if so, what do you do to quell them? Or, how do you deal with it now? sober that is.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Joe,

I wonder if you've talked to your dr about your depression if it's an ongoing thing? For me, the depression came decades before the drinking, so the depression had to be diagnosed and treated before I could recover.

If this is a kind of situational depression, then maybe planning ahead could help. Maybe you could try to get involved in some kind of sports group, course or volunteer work on Sundays that would get you out and about. Another thought is that, if this is depression in anticipation of the work week, maybe you could consider a job or career change?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi Joe,

I wonder if you've talked to your dr about your depression if it's an ongoing thing? For me, the depression came decades before the drinking, so the depression had to be diagnosed and treated before I could recover.

If this is a kind of situational depression, then maybe planning ahead could help. Maybe you could try to get involved in some kind of sports group, course or volunteer work on Sundays that would get you out and about. Another thought is that, if this is depression in anticipation of the work week, maybe you could consider a job or career change?
thanks for your response, yes it was diagnosed a long time ago. It is not severe - and if anything has been confused with GAD - and blurred line in between. Neverthless I did take meds for over 4 years, and found that I was happier off of them then on.
Nowadays, I would describe my feelings to be that of "situational" as you mention above. One of those situations is definitely the Sunday Blues.
I cannot change my work - or line of work. It pays the bills and allows me to stay at home (except for typical business travel). Amongst the stress it creates, I do have a lot of advantages - liek starting at 9-10AM every morning without a commute, and eating lunch with my kids every day. I don't believe any one particular job is perfect, and there is good and bad with all.
It's a stress that I'm prepared to deal with, but it doesn't make it any better - I'm looking for ideas from others who experience the same thing, and what they might do.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Joe..yes I have always started almost dreading Sundays as I go to sleep Saturday night. I love my weekends..even sober but just thinking of the work week - sometimes I don't fall asleep till 11 or midnight. I have to be at work at 6:30AM. Not sure how to concur this but I spose it would be just coming up with other ways to think of it. Not sure how to get excited about a five day work week..except be happy that I have a good job! They are longer sober than they were when I was drinking that is for sure. Not sure what the solution is..maybe someone else can come up with ideas for us!
Old 12-12-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown View Post
...............Not sure what the solution is..maybe someone else can come up with ideas for us!
I know.... I wish someone could come up with something. For me it doesn't start on Saturday evening, it is the minute I open my eyes Sunday morning and see the sun coming up..

The funny thing is, once Monday morning comes and work starts - it is really not bad at all. I guess I will dream of retirement, I'm hoping for 55: it's a personal goal.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sundays are detox days. They're harder for a lot of people. Including myself. In fact I'm coping with eating copious amounts of chex mix and I registered for this site. lol
Old 12-12-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
Hey everyone. For the longest time I had always been getting Sunday Blues - more so out of anticipation of the upcoming work week, and as a result would start to feel "depressed" every Sunday.

Over the last several years, I had simply resorted to NFL Sunday (betting) and "drinks" as a way to make the day pass and before I knew it, it would be bed time.

However now, I find those old feelings of blues are creeping back as I have more time (clear time) to dislike the day all together. I think by default drinkers are prone to depressive feelings, anxiety, etc.... It's the chicken or the egg argument IMO, but definitely a correlation.

Are there others in here who share the same Sunday Blues? and if so, what do you do to quell them? Or, how do you deal with it now? sober that is.
I go to meetings and fellowship with others and work with others to share my experience, strength and hope. I visit this website, I watch TV, I write in my journal, I read books, I call family and friends... There are plenty of things you can do to get out of your own head.. If I were you I would start off with giving AA a try... Go to meetings, listen to what is being shared, and meet people, get phone numbers.. Use the phone numbers...
Old 12-12-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I want out at 55 too!!!! I have upped my 401k. I am paying off debts. I am hoping..don't know if I will pull it off but in April I will have 30 yrs in. More than half my life!! You still can't retire regardless of how many years you have in until you are at least 55.. I am ok once I get to work. But I like Wednesdays or Thursdays way more than Mondays..they are closer to my beloved weekend!
Old 12-12-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BKP

Sunday Blues

Sunday's were a day for me as well, along with Monday - Monday hahahaha try to change the routine that you can do. Doing the same thing you did when you drink can be a b!tch, I use to hate that feeling. It is tough but you can do it with support, help and the change for the best.

Friday night's use to be hard for me, but with the help and assistance of the fellowship I have not gone back to the dark side. Hope this helps a little bit.

PS- Go Bears! Although they had some blues of there own today!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi! I definitely feel like its easy for me to be in a funk on Sundays...instead of.enjoying the day I ruin it by thinking about work.

To counteract this I am trying to spend my Sundays doing things I love to do....that helps.

I Also am working with a life coach to find a way to turn my passion into a career...thisnis something I have been trying to do for years...but I feel that now that I am sober andvhave a coach to help me I have a shot at doing this:-) then my work week would be something I would look forward to!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree that doing things you love on Sundays helps. For me it's cooking a more time-consuming dinner that I wouldn't have time to do during the week (I made pizza tonight) and then snuggling up in front of the TV with my husband. I don't allow myself to think about work on Sunday nights -- if any work-related thoughts do pop into my head, I just think to myself "Nope -- it's still the weekend, I can deal with that tomorrow morning."
Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan Tina...I believe that if you keep the visual of your career it will happen! I am not sure what is up with the circles in life..but if I keep thinking of someone..they show up in my office. It could be a day or two later..could be someone that I haven't seen in months that work where I do..but I am always floored when that happens. This analogy is off the OP..so may I add...good plan and I am sure this will help you be excited about Mondays once it happens!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me, I think going to church on Sunday can help. Even if you don't believe in God, it can be interesting to observe the religious ritual and meet people. Generally church goers are friendly to visitors. And there's a lot of diversity within Christianity so you could always try a church that's different to one you may have been to before.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown View Post
I want out at 55 too!!!! I have upped my 401k. I am paying off debts. I am hoping..don't know if I will pull it off but in April I will have 30 yrs in. More than half my life!! You still can't retire regardless of how many years you have in until you are at least 55.. I am ok once I get to work. But I like Wednesdays or Thursdays way more than Mondays..they are closer to my beloved weekend!
55 all the way baby .. I know it is probably unhealthy to dream of something so far away, but at least it is a goal. I'm in line for it now - Actually I probably could pull off at 51, but the extra 4 years would be just bonus pay.

As for my favourite day: I love Thursday's. Generally because Friday's are fairly easy and it is the day before the weekend kicks off. People always seem to be in a better mood.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
For me, I think going to church on Sunday can help. Even if you don't believe in God, it can be interesting to observe the religious ritual and meet people. Generally church goers are friendly to visitors. And there's a lot of diversity within Christianity so you could always try a church that's different to one you may have been to before.
I'm not particularly religious, however I do go to Church for Christmas and Easter. Maybe a Sunday Church sermon would be a good idea thanks for the input - I think I'll try it out next week.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Joe, great topic. I am new to sobriety, 9 days now. However a life long sufferer of the sunday blues. I have found that because I am so afraid of the weekends still I have chunk my days up to just that days focus and projects. Almost like there aren't weekends, just different days. I have projects and things to do everyday. I was getting freaked out about thinking of Sunday and instead thought this is a great day to get up late, drink a ton of coffee and get these things done happy. The church idea sounds great and I am planning on going next week.

For me I like starting a ritual for days I don't have a lot to do, coffee, big breakfast and then something outside of the house, going on hikes, going to meetings sounds good. fellowship with others who are sober is probably my next step.

I have also dealt with seasonal depression most of my life and have used St. John's Wort successfully. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, just works for me.

Planning for the day seems simple for me. Music also always helps me get out of a funk, take your favorite upbeat music and start playing it.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slipperyknot View Post
I have also dealt with seasonal depression most of my life and have used St. John's Wort successfully. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, just works for me.
I've wondered about this before as well. Upon further research (other than in Germany) it appears as though it performs slightly better than a Placebo. So really it begs the question... are we prone to thinking that we will feel better if we take a pill?

Although my depression has never been severe, it does come and go - and does run in my family, so I am cognizant of it's presence. I would describe it as closer to a situational anxiety disorder than anything - but what do I know eh?

I took meds for 4 years and found that they did help at the beginning, but after abut a year I really felt no different than before.The problem was getting off of them - that was very difficult, so I am not going to touch them again.

I'm much more for natural remedies personally, but I just think for the next year I would like to be free from all addictive uses - and see where it gets me. SO far so good (except for Sunday's) - night time is more difficult now, and often I have problems going back to sleep if I wake up early.

I'm trying to figure out if I can simply deal with life all together, the good and the bad.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Sundays I just do my best to be of service and to do the things I love. This weekend I went to see my parents and just tried to listen. Go to AA meetings. I had to focus in the fact and accept I really can't change sundays mondays or any day. I just have to live one day at a time. I think it is good you have a job and I would work on really resting up and giving a 100% which sometimes means getting some rest and taking it easy on sundays.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just going back to the church thing.... I went last night and the guy doing the prayers had cerebral palsy. I found that very moving as my sister has the same condition but is unable to speak. I think if she could speak, she would have been praying for me in the same way that man did in church. In fact, she is probably praying for me in her heart and I will pray for her, too.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
I'm not particularly religious, however I do go to Church for Christmas and Easter. Maybe a Sunday Church sermon would be a good idea thanks for the input - I think I'll try it out next week.
Good idea! I enjoy going to mass on Sunday. It fills my day and lifts my spirits.

I also love getting lost in good literature. Reading cures my Sunday Blues.

If all else fails, listen to Lucinda Williams' "Sundays" and know you are not alone.