Notices

Hi, new to posting on here

Old 12-12-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, new to posting on here

Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting on this forum although i have been browsing for a couple months now. I have tried many times by myself to get sober and have only managed three weeks at most before relapsing again. I saw my gp on friday and have managed to remain sober and start again today. I am going to go to an aa meeting tonight and after recieving some good advice from somone who has been through this i really hope this will work for me in the long term. Anyway, i hope to post on here alot as reading other peoples posts has helped me over the last weeks.

Many thanks, best of luck everyone.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Kath. I'm from the UK too and I remember 3 weeks would be the absolute maximum that I could go before getting wrecked again. I would be gagging to get wrecked as I would be feeling so terrible and saw it as my only restbite and chance to escape for a while and not have to think. Also I would convinve myself that it was unfair to deprive myself of something I loved so much.

I have 17+ months sober now thanks to AA, SR and much wisdom from elsewhere. I hope you get something from the meeting and remember that the people there really do mean well. I was beaten and I'd had enough and wanted sobriety more than I wanted to get mashed up.

All The best, Peace.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome!

Best advice I can give is to read everything. I find that by spending hours on this site, I stumble across something that makes sense all the time. Best place for an alcoholic, is with other alcoholics. Provided they are working on sobriety haha
Old 12-12-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cultivating Sobriety

So far the best advice I can give is to read and post, like said above. Hang in there, we can all do it with each other and for ourselves.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
I also tried to quit on my own successfully many times. When I entered a program of recovery (AA) and worked the steps I stayed sober. Since you are going to a meeting tonight make sure to let them know you are a newcomer. In my locale they make sure you get hooked up with phone numbers of other sober people and literature. Getting a sponsor early on is a very good idea.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Kath24, Sounds like you have a good plan in place. You'll find a wealth of information here. Read away. Helped me so much. Best Wishes To You!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family! I hope you'll be able to stay sober this time. Living sober really rocks!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR kath24 - you'll find a lot of support here.

D
Old 12-12-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Kath!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Kath

You are working in the right direction. Keep coming back and posting/reading.