Notices

New To The SR Forum

Old 12-11-2010, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cultivating Sobriety

New To The SR Forum

Hi, I am new here, on my 2'nd sober day, and I thought I would jump in and introduce myself.

I have been browsing the board for awhile, a very nice place.I decided to join a couple days ago. I have 1 other forum I have been a member of since 2006.

My addiction is alcohol, and I am what they call a weekend binger. 2 to 3 days at a time, then regret and take a few days off. I have been doing this now for about 15 years. I have had a few quits, the most was a tad over a month. I get really depressed sometimes when I feel like I cannot beat this thing. I have been to a few AA meetings, but I tend to prefer the Alan Carr, Rational Recovery, etc. style of approach.

I have learned a lot from reading and browsing forums like this over the years. I know the one thing I have learned is to never give up.

I am still foggy headed and wanted to post a few days later; you know when that happy, calm feeling comes on. It always seems to happen around day 5, and it's the best feeling, then I ruin it by drinking again.

I am not sure how it fully works here yet, but at the other forum they have colors of level, like if you go 30 days, then 6 months, etc. Kind of like AA chips.

I look forward to working on myself here, and to try and help others, especially by being sober. The people that I read about that have 30 days, 60 days, etc. and how they feel, what changes has happened, etc. that’s the best part of my reading.

-Alien
Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. This is a great place for support. Lots of nice people here. Can't wait to hear more from you. Keep posting. We do recover.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! We have a Daily Support Forum to help stay on the sober road. Lots of support groups there like 'under two weeks' and 'ninety days and under' and so on. Feel free to post your daily journey there. It helps to have companions on this trip.

Newcomer's Daily Support Threads - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 12-11-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Colors?

Welcome Alien... you can be any color you want. Just get recovered!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family Alien. You are preventing yourself from a nightmare down the line. I, too, was a weekend binger for many years. Eventually, to soothe my hangovers, I discovered the 'hair of the dog' cure. So Mondays I'd go out for lunch & have a little something - just to help the headache & stop the shakes, you know.....long story short, in the end I was drinking round the clock so I wouldn't withdraw. I would never have believed it could come to that.

I'm not saying this would happen to you, but there's a chance it could. Now you're avoiding that possibility. Be proud of yourself for seeking a new and better life. We're glad to have you here with us.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard! Keep coming back.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Alien. Please take care of yourself in these first few days and weeks - and let us know how you're doing.

Stephanie
Old 12-11-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome Alien! Love your Avatar. Look forward to reading more from you.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

We follow the Henry Ford line here Alien...any colour you like - as long as it's navy blue

Welcome to SR
D
Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Alien - I spent a lot of time in that cycle too (drink a few days, then recover a couple days and back at it). I thought that the time in between those drinking sessions were sober days, but they were really withdrawal periods to some degree. It's not a very good way to live.

Glad you're here and hope to see you around!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

..i'm from outer space too..lol.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Cultivating Sobriety

Well, here I am, it's Sunday morning and I made it through a Friday & a Saturday without drinking. That has not happened in a long time. Saturday was hard; those 2 days are my most crave worthy days (Witching Days). I will admit I was close Saturday.

I greatly appreciate the warm welcome, and I am glad to meet you all ANGELINA243, least, Mark75, Hevyn, PaleMale, stephnc, Ghostly, Dee74, artsoul, OZboy. I came here off and on yesterday and read the replies to combat the urges. Your replies helped a lot, so thank you all very much.

It's amazing to sit and look at the different personalities that pop up during a day of addiction. My best ones are in the morning (when I am thankful that I did not drinks), and then at night. On my "Witching Days" it's that time right after I leave work, up until around 6 ish or so. If I make it through those periods, I am good. But there is a side that kicks in, that sometimes is so strong it's unbelievable. I hope (and know it will) the cravings will get less and less over time. I realize the brain (mind) just has to become untrained from this habit.

Thanks again.

-Alien
Old 12-12-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Alien, that's wonderful you made it through. Those first days are killers, but as you said, it gets easier as you go along. Just think - no hangover, no jangled nerves, no remorse. You're on your way.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mrs

Congratulations Alien! Good Sunday morning to you!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alien, Welcome, and well done on the weekend!
I know that the few days where you know "you can get away with it" are hardest.
I found out not to "entertain" thoughts of drinking, (hard, I know) was good.
Also, don't count days, just keep it in the day and this is manageable.
You can use the "sober calculator" here when you want to get the tally!
Keep it up. Oh, and just use a mixture of sources for support. That works for a lot of people. Happy Sunday!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome to SR! I was a daily drinker, but the weekends were when I could really go nuts and I'd drink from the time I got up until I passed out. The weekends were tough on me at first, but slowly I've learned to live without alcohol.

I figure if I can do it, anybody can
Old 12-12-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

good sunday morning Alien....I can totally relate to what you may be feeling....those *witching hours* hit me more than I can count....

someone on this board once posted that an actual *craving* lasts only about 7 minutes? (Anna)? so i sometimes set the microwave timer if it hits at home and and distract myself by either cleaning something or washing clothes, walk the dog, take out the trash, etc.....any little task that isn't too involved....there is also the "get out of the house for an hour" method...a trip to the vegetable market, quick shopping,etc.

I originally changed up my after work routine as much as I could...a different route home and different grocery store with no liquor store attached.

after 3.5 months sober I adopted a little dog....to walk with and socialize with the neighbors....(i was the type who shut myself off and drank alone)...it's a bit challenging in the bad weather, but we both get daily exercise.

In a couple of days you will be feeling more clear-headed and sleeping better.....keep posting and reading.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good morning Alien, Good for you!!! I am so happy for you that you made it through Friday and Saturday. I know how hard it is. Saturday nights are difficult for me also. I just try to remember how good it feels Sunday morning when I wake up feeling well, both physically and mentally (remembering everything from the night before). It's a good feeling.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Cultivating Sobriety

Hiya PHRD, Hollyanne, FormerBeerLover, Fandy, & sara515. Thanks for the helpful advice. The waking up this morning and thinking of what I would have felt like (if I had partaken) made a world of difference. I read another thread around here that mentioned that, great advice. I am looking forward to going into a Monday at work feeling good; been a long time since I done that
Old 12-12-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You did it yesterday, you can do it again today!