Notices

Worried about this weekend

Old 12-10-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about this weekend

Hi everyone,
I am on day 16 and doing fairly well. I want to have "a" drink every single day, but I am just trying to keep myself busy and remember the many reasons I don't want to drink.
I am worried about this weekend because it is a long weekend off work for my husband. He frequently goes on a 3 day binge during his long weekend. I find that, in the past I became angry or resentful (jealous?) that he was drinking and would say "if you can't fight them..." and then I would drink and feel horrible and depressed about my decision and drink some more so that I didn't feel depressed. A vicious cycle that I don't want to go through anymore.
I feel very determined to make it through without drinking, guess I just needed to vent.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sara. I'm worried about the weekend too. I've got 27 days.

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

-SD
Old 12-10-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I got it Sarah! Set up some type of drinking room for him complete with a mini fridge. That way..he can drink himself into his imaginary happy place and you don't have to be exposed!!!
I used to go thru this...it is NOT easy. Eventually...I tossed the baby out with the bath water...worked for me!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That where SR comes in handy - we'll be here all weekend, with support and encouragement.

Just focus on why you're doing this and why you want to stay sober.
Do whatever else you like to fill in your weekend but dismiss drinking as an option

D
Old 12-10-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I live with a drinker too. It bothers me. I ignore it as best I can. Detach with love, as they say in the other fellowship.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is hard when we are new in our sobriety, and just barely holding on to the precious sober time we have.

I too resented my hubbys drinking when I was newly sober.

Resentments aren't good for this alcoholic. So, I had to find a way to deal with his drinking.

I had to change.

I had to find something different to do, somewhere different to be (at times), as Dee suggested, SR is a great place to come to for support.

Just remember, you aren't drinking today. Don't worry about the other days, just today. Today you have promised yourself the gift of sobriety. You aren't going to let anyone or anything take away what you have worked so hard for these past 16 days. You deserve to be alcohol free today, and you can do it!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sending hugs and positive thoughts that you can get thru this weekend sane and sober.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
xuse

vent away ill be here all night
Old 12-10-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, Sara, please come and hang out here for awhile and you'll find lots of support.

Can you make plans to go out for awhile, or go to a part of the house away from your husband?

I think it's really good that you're aware of a potential problem and are seeking support.