Notices

AA Meeting Question?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Meeting Question?

The only reason I'm saying this is because I don't smoke now. Went to a meeting tonight in my hometown and before I went the list said NS for non-smoking. Got there and every single person was smoking except for me and another guy. Now I used to smoke and quit several years ago. Just pissed me off I guess. I left after 15 minutes because the cloud of smoke made it hard to breathe or see the other side of the room. Every place in town is basically non smoking. Can people not go 1 hour without a cigarrete or simply step outside. Just my thoughts. thanks
Old 12-09-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Join the group and bring it up at the next group conscience. Let me warn you, it will be a hugely contested debate.

When I got sober, every single meeting in my town was filled with blue smoke. Meetings split up just so there could be a few non-smoking ones. Today, every meeting in that town is non-smoking. That came about because someone forced the issue.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool

Hey GoshinJ ---

I'm sorry you had to go through this (or rather, couldn't, and had to leave meeting due to this). I'm a smoker, but you asked....., "...Can people not go 1-hour without a cigarrete or simply step outside..." Sure they can; lemme tell ya; if I can (and I can), anybody can. They're just too lazy. In fact, I bought a new car a few years ago, and my deal with myself was 'no smoking' in the car---another 'can-do'...and also; when I visit friends out of town, their homes are usually 'non-smoking' so I figured if I can go 'no-smoking' there I can do it in my own home too.....course I got a balcony off my loiving-room so I can go for a 'quick puff' during commercial breaks.....LOLOL

You made a couple of other statements I wanted to respond to.....:

1) "...list said NS for non-smoking..." I hate to say this, but AA meetings lists are known for their unreliability.........sorry, guess we could use more 'paid professionals'.....?

2) "...Every place in town is basically non smoking..." I notice you're in Greensboro; do y'all not have a town/city 'non-smoking' ordinance (now I know North Carolina/tobacco, but so many cities have gon 'non-smoking' nowadays)...? If you do, you could always b a 'b' and 'report.' ...... or perhaps, if they rent the space, could the building itself not be (or be made) 'non-smoking'...? (o:

Again, I'm sorry you had to go through this. I hope you find another good (perhaps even better) meeting for yerself.....non-smoking, of course.....

(o:
NoelleR
Old 12-09-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I realized today that there was a mistake on the internet for NS at the meeting, although the pamphlet says smoking. My bad. Anyway, this is the only one in Greensboro that is smoking inside. All other AA meetings are NS. I'm 13 days sober and a lot or a majority of the young peoples meetings and begginers are at this center, although there are others as well so now I know where to go. I use smokeless tobacco, but never in a public building because it's just turns people off. That's just me. I guess it's like a smoker going to a meeting and when they walk in there are spitunes on each table with people spitting into them every 5 seconds. Just me rambling on I guess. Anyway, I'll look into the issue about the center that has them and figure out why every else in town is NS and not there. HMM. Thanks and have a good one.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thats goood news! I smoke myself but im not keen on smoking meetings and yes anyone can go an hour without a cig:-)
Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think there are any meetings left in my town where smoking inside the meeting is allowed. In one of the towns you can be fined $500 for smoking with 25 feet of the entrance. Don't let that first smokey meeting get in the way of your sobriety.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In no way am I going to let this interrupt my sobriety or going to other meetings. I went to a meeting tonight and could breathe. Anyway, I still think it's just odd to have this one place in town that holds them and are smoking. Thanks.