Notices

Not sure how to start

Old 12-08-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure how to start

I have been drinking heavy for five years prior to that I was healthy young lady. I went to a party on Saturday and can't remember half the night.. I realize I needed to stop. I am not sure where the local AA in the area is or if I am ready to go to it. As of today it has been five days since I have drank
2010 has been a bad year so I would like to start 2011 on the right foot.. do I count the days I haven't drank, do I keep going out with my friends and be tempted. I ride a motorcycle and I am hoping by next summer I will be strong enough to have the courage to drink water at our stops. I want to be clean for my health, my weight, my over all well being. I think those are the things I have to remind myself when I think I can have just one.. like so many people on here 1 leads to 10, then I will just be disappointing myself.. I am ready to stop but not sure how to start.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Welcome and I'm glad you have decided to live a sober life. Good for you for 5 sober days!

I had to make a lot of changes in early sobriety. I definitely could not be around alcohol or people drinking for quite a long time. The thing is, drinking is a symptom, so stopping the drinking is necessary. But, that still leaves the underlying problems to be dealt with. You can't just remove the alcohol and continue everything else unchanged.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One thing I would have to change is the people I ride with, I know there are people that ride that don't drink but most of my friends drink.. I am fighting the urge tonight not to drink. I am going with it will pass the urge will pass
Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi HDrosebud

I had to change a lot of my friends - but I found new ones, and rediscovered old ones.

Dunno about you but the only thing I really had in common with most of the old gang was drinking - I have much better, deeper friendships now.

There are sober riders clubs too...I'm sure you know...and we have a bikers forum here
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/bikers-recovery/

Welcome to SR
D
Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your five days sober and welcome to the family! I was a home alone drinker so I had to get used to being home alone (mostly am) and not drinking. I also had to completely change my attitude... which took some time but I am feeling very good and comfortable in my sobriety now.

You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Rosebud! That was the hardest part starting out getting sober. While drinking for years I surrounded myself with drinkers! Birds of a feather as they say! When I quit I had to seperate myself from that lifestyle. It is hard. Today..matter of fact..a really good friend called and asked me to meet her for a drink. I declined..will have to catch up sometime for lunch or dinner. I just don't want to be any part of the bars any more. I think it is John here that likes to say "If you keep going to a barbershop..eventually you will end up with a haircut"...I have been to bars..but it is a relapse waiting to bite you in the butt. I think I need alot more time before (if ever) I decide to expose myself to it again. Welcome!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome HD - congrats on your time sober. Try not to think about what you'll do next week or next month...... it's enough at first to get through the day.

Since you're in Michigan, maybe the beginning of winter is a really good time to get sober....? I would think that lots of snow would mean less riding?

I never thought I'd say this, but being sober is SO much better than being on that not-so-merry-go-round. Hang in there!