Notices

1st Time

Old 12-08-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st Time

I know that I need to quit drinking. I am 33yrs old and have been drinking every night for the last ten years. I can remember 3 nights that I went to "sleep" sober. The first couple years I drank beer and then turned to vodka. On average I drink 2 1.75 liter bottles a week and may occasionally have a beer or two. I have always told myself that I would be OK if I never drank until 5PM and have always made myself stick to it. I now know that is BS not drinking before has nothing to do with the fact that I am a alcoholic. Its amazing i have been able to climb the corporate ladder, have a beautiful house and beautiful (sober) wife and all while secretly being a night time drunk.

A couple of weeks ago I wanted to see what would happen if I didn't drink. To make a long story short I lasted until about 10PM. My body was shaking and was freezing cold, my head hurt, sick to the stomach, etc... How long does that last for? I heard that there are medications available that will ease that effect. Does anyone have any experience with those types of medications? I have been told there is no secret pill but just looking for something to help.

Does anyone have any advise? I was contemplating possibly checking into rehab?

I have never decided to quit before but this time I HAVE to succeed.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You story sounds similiar to mine. You may not need "rehab" in the sense that you go away for 28 days, but you should talk to your Doctor. There is medication that can help with the withdrawal symptoms, (I was prescibed valium). Regardless of the level of medical assistance you need (and that is your Dr.'s call, folks on SR can't give medical advice) the physical withdrawal part will probably be the easy part. The hard part is that you will need a plan to change your lifestyle, and then you will need to follow that plan. After several failed attempts on my own, I finally found AA useful. You may need to try several different AA meetings to find one that you click with. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StillWalking View Post
I know that I need to quit drinking. I am 33yrs old and have been drinking every night for the last ten years. I can remember 3 nights that I went to "sleep" sober. The first couple years I drank beer and then turned to vodka. On average I drink 2 1.75 liter bottles a week and may occasionally have a beer or two. I have always told myself that I would be OK if I never drank until 5PM and have always made myself stick to it. I now know that is BS not drinking before has nothing to do with the fact that I am a alcoholic. Its amazing i have been able to climb the corporate ladder, have a beautiful house and beautiful (sober) wife and all while secretly being a night time drunk.
WOW. This is very similar to my story. I was also 33, had a great wife, job, etc. I was excelling in many areas. I also drank only at night. Only after 5 (maybe just a little earlier on the weekends), and I also drank about the same amount. My drinking problems were mainly limited to arguments that I'd have with my wife. We didn't argue about drinking, but I seemed to start alot of arguments while drunk. Then one day something changed. I came home from work and pounded 3 beers very quickly (before she came home). Suddenly I was drunk off my ass. On 3 beers. It was total ubleieveable to me that it happened that way. I started a big fight with my wife that night, and she "told" me I had better do something. I walked into an AA meeting a few weeks later, read the literature, attended 90 meetings in 90 days, found a sponsor and worked the steps. That was 14 years ago and today, I don't have a need to drink. I don't know how it happened, but it did. THere are many options for helping you live a sober life out there, AA is only one of the groups you can attend. SR itself has a great deal of information and the people here are very supportive and helpful. Best wishes and welcome to SR.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome to SR! You're on the right track already

I would definitely talk to the doctor. That's a lot of alcohol to withdraw from.

Lots of help to be found here. Lot of folks use AA but there are alternatives if that's not your scene. Have a look around and congratulations on making the decision to quit drinking. You won't regret it!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi StillWalking

Please do see your Dr - what may have worked for others here may not be suitable for you.

There are other options besides inpatient rehab - counselling has been useful for many, as have recovery groups like AA or SMART.

Your Dr may have some suggestions

Welcome to SR
D
Old 12-08-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies.

The night seems to be my biggest challenge. Maybe because my body is conditioned but I dont even feel the urge to drink until around 5PM? Maybe its just because there is still alcohol in my system.

One more question a couple times it is required that everyone in my position go to a work function. It is really just a big drunk fest after our "meetings" and I have always been one of the guys that stays out late and parties with the guys. This year will be different but I am not sure how to get out of drinking with them. Any suggestions? I guess I could just say flat out that I'm done drinking, its just that it will be so early in the recovery process I am afraid of being easily tempted.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!! As to the big drunk-fest, you could always say you're on a health kick and a strict diet. That wouldn't be much of a stretch, really. Or you could just say you gave it up/got tired of it.

I too recommend seeing your doctor for help in getting past the initial physical withdrawal. The physical detox usually only lasts a few days. After that it's time to find a support system to help you stay sober.

We have a 'sticky' in the Alcoholism forum about quitting, what we did and what to expect. Just a heads up as to our experiences getting thru the w/d.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 12-08-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've heard people use a little "white lie" about being on some medication that requires you to avoid alcohol. In early recovery I tended to just say "no thanks". Most people don't give a hoot one way or another.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to make choices in my early recovery about things to go to. If you feel you'll be tempted, I'll reconsider.

D
Old 12-08-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Still - welcome. Good for you for deciding to get sober. It's worth it! I use this forum as my daily support system and love it because it's always "online."

I agree with Dee that if you feel you'd be tempted (and most of us would be) by a drink-fest, it's best in early sobriety to find an excuse to get out of it. You just might feel a virus coming on....?

If you put your sobriety first, there's no reason you can't do this!