Notices

Looking for a Sponsor

Old 12-08-2010, 05:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for a Sponsor

I am still looking for a sponsor but I have faith I will find one this week. Tonight I have a meeting I have been looking forward to for a week. On Friday there is a women's meeting I am looking forward to as well.

Does anyone have any questions I should ask? Things I need to look for? Or anything that might help me find a good sponsor (even if she is a temp)?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Have you had a spiritual awakening as the result of the Steps?" is a question that will filter out most of the BS, sponsor in name only, working their own program instead of the program in the BB, control your life kind of people.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

MariahM,

When I first started attending meetings, I was in a panic to find a sponsor. I just kept hearing to get one, etc.. I talked to a guy who has been around for a long time & he suggested taking my time & I'm glad I did. It took me about 2 1/2 months and a funny thing happened. I attended a meeting that I had never been to before. A guy I know from my past sits down on the other side of the room. He's been clean a long time & he shared a bunch of wisdom with the group. He's very involved in service & helps a lot of addicts. I approached him after the meeting outside & we exchanged numbers. Turns out that the meeting we met at is one that he never attends either, but just happened to be in the area.
He is a guy that I always liked a lot & respected the way he handled himself, but never knowing anything about his past or involvement in the program. A week later I finally mustered up the courage to call him & set up a time to meet. He is now my sponsor & I couldn't be happier. I just knew that when I ran into him that he was the guy. I think you will just know when you find the right person. It depends what you're looking for to help you recover. I eventually want to get involved in service, so that's why I chose him. I just wanted to learn to live my life in a more positive way, and he is a good example for me.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Rather than picking who you think might be good, I believe it's good to ask ppl you respect who they'd recommend. I think you'll find that only a couple names will be continually mentioned. Those are the folks to go see, ask the question that Keith posted, then tell them you're looking for a sponsor and want to be a recovered alcoholic and ask them if they can show you how to do that.

I WISH I had that advice when I started. Instead, I picked someone I could "identify with, thought they were sober, and figured they could teach the program to me." Instead, what I got was someone who had several years of not drinking, he went to meetings, is crazier than hell, and is about as far from what I want to do/be in life that someone could be. I guess that's to be expected though, I trusted MY best judgment which was the same judgment that GOT me to where I was in the first place.