Notices

Under 30 recovery

Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I think this is a great idea. When I came here 2.5 years ago when I first got sober it was very hard and I felt my life was over. But what I didnt know is my life was going to become more amazing than I could ever imagined.

There is a strong Young Peoples AA in my area. I have lots of sober friends around my age and some older too which I NEED too... I go to Young peoples conferences and really am just enjoying life. I am even going to EURYPAA in Dublin Ireland in August. MSCYPAA (Massachusetts Young People) in July and NECYPAA (New England YP Conference) over new years weekend in Portland ME. There is so much to do sober while you are young

I am going to Arizona in March to visit sober friends I met in AA. There is so much more
Old 12-09-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Oh and I just celebrated my birthday last weekend and 30+ sober friends came to my dinner party!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Hooligan

sounds good cmhcali
Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

happy birthday cmhcali - good to see you
D
Old 12-09-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

checking in

Hi all,

Nice to see the youngins taking some initiative!!!!!

I'm 26...my problem with booze started at 16. Binge drank every week 2-3 times for ten years and it took its toll.

anyways i'm on a better path now and wish youall luck!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Hooligan

thanks for the kind words mckats
Old 12-12-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Hooligan

bring this one back to life
Old 12-12-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
BKP

I'm 31, But got sober at 29. My goal was to be sober after my 30th, but something beyond me took ahold and made me a sober, better man 6 months after my 29th B day.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
BKP

My teenage years and 20's were warped into drinking all the time, everyday after work, in college. I was a mess totally. Cities i torn up with drinking include: Montreal, Detroit, Omaha, Chicago, Boston, NYC, Daytona, Tampa, Boulder, Denver, Washington Dc. I missed out on a lot of good sober times.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Scuze me...can anyone tell me where the geriatric room is? I can't remember.....
Old 12-12-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johndelko408 View Post
It's funny how sometimes you hear some people say that the moment they took their first drink they were alcoholic. I know that, that's not the case for me. I conditioned myself into an alcoholic.
I actually was one of those "first drink" alcoholics. I was 15 and at my cousin's wedding. They gave me a glass of champagne and I immediately knew I needed more. A lot more. Although I only got drunk once in high school and my friends did not drink, I thought about alcohol a lot and wanted it whenever I felt bad, which was nearly always. Hit the ground running in college. Drunk on the second day of freshman orientation, thought it was the best thing that had ever happened to me, never looked back. Needless to say, it was a steep slope.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

It's funny though because the first time I ever got drunk I know that I enjoyed it. I just didnt have the stomach to drink, I was a light weight so to speak. Like I mentioned earlier I yaked everytime during and after drinking. So thinking back on it I did exhibit alcoholic characteristics. But I always preferred buds over sudz.

@itsme
If this is an under 30 thread I guess I only have a year then to post here.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Im 28, and I also think that there are some benefits to talking with people around your own age. I still have a hard time navigating through this site. Have you started a special interest group? I think we can learn more from older people, but perhaps relate better to younger people.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:35 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

hey! I'm just popping on to say hello -- good idea, ItsMe23, to start this thread.

I'll be under thirty for a few more months. Count me in until you have to kick me out.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm back rejoining this thread. I slipped up last night but jumping right back to try this again. I know being sober is the only option for me. Now if only I canvremember that when the cravings hit.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi Boozefree-- Glad to hear you're going to try again right now. Are you going to do anything differently this time to deal when the cravings hit?
Old 12-13-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Hooligan

Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
I'm back rejoining this thread. I slipped up last night but jumping right back to try this again. I know being sober is the only option for me. Now if only I canvremember that when the cravings hit.
I always seem to have a few hiccups in the first initial stages, once i get over them it turns in to much more smooth sailing.

Also when cravings hit me, no matter how much that voice is telling me its ok, i just remember that its a trick. That i will regret it in the morning etc
Old 12-13-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Wow...just peekin in to see what you youngsters are up to. You had a great idea ItsMe...lot of activity here. Nice job. Good luck everyone.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Hooligan

@april999 - yes i guess it would be a special interest group, a place for younger people to share experiences as we may have an easier time relating to each other. No where did I say we cannot learn from the "elders", but i also thought it would be a nice to chat with people closer to our age.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:11 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
one of many

I can relate with all the other posters in this thread. Tomorrow will be one week sober for me. Everyday sober is a valuable gift and even more valuable if you are young and realize this horrible disease has you by the throat. When the society tells you to drink and do drugs constantly. Remember the society is wrong. We have to hold on to the truth and give up the lie.

As for relating with "straight" people. I have found that it is better to be a recovering person, because you can see the perspectives of two worlds, the addict/alcoholic and the non-substance abuser. This gives you an almost limitless ability to relate with people in all walks of life.