SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Non Alcoholic Drinks (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/214989-non-alcoholic-drinks.html)

musicman66 12-07-2010 07:57 PM

Non Alcoholic Drinks

Hey all,

Just wanted to pose a quick question and get others' opinions about non-alcoholic drinks to help with cravings....I have been "mostly sober" since October (had a few relapses, but am beginning to understand more about myself and what it takes to stay away.....) I am back on day 6 now, and today I decided to stop into a convenience store for a snack and a water....I found myself standing in front of the beer coolers and having the debate with myself....Then I saw a 6 pack of Odouls....I went that route......

Realizing that the best choice for me would have been to get the water (or to avoid the store all together)....I was wondering what opinions are about having a non-alcholic beer or two to help with cravings early on......While I also realize that it was definitely a better decision than drinking 12 or 18 beers like I normally would, I wonder if psychologically it is hurting my recovery on some level......

LifeIsCake 12-07-2010 08:03 PM

Hey there musicman66. My personal choice is to completely remove myself from anything remotely alcoholic. I don't eat anything that has been prepared with any kind of alcohol or that is a flavor that mimics any alcohol's flavor. I just know in my heart that I would not be able to handle that kind of situation without a possible relapse.

Good luck with your sobriety.

Flguy 12-07-2010 08:05 PM

Everyone copes in their own way. I won't try that route because I'm afraid it'll just remind me of drinking my beer of choice. I myself have been going with tea, coffee, and the occasional red bull because the tang offsets my really bad cravings. I'm only on day two since I relapsed really bad about four months ago, but I made it 42 days before that. Everyone has their own ways, but I got the redbull idea from someone else, and a friend of mine that has been 2 years sober told me to brew a pot of coffee and read a book when my cravings got bad. It helps because the coffee soothes me and the reading makes me forget after a bit.

Dee74 12-07-2010 08:07 PM

it's a really common thread topic here musicman.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...olic-beer.html

If you read that thread you'll see my position.
To me, it's dancing around old behaviours.

D

notdrunktoday 12-07-2010 08:17 PM

I had this debate with myself to. I found that for me na beer has been ok. I don't want to ever be drunk yet I found myself real wanting a cold beer. I was a beer and whiskey guy. So far I have not had any issues yet I am very a where of the risk. But I also don't drink them outside of my home. If I go out on a social occasion I stay a way from them as I feel for me that this may be a slippery slope. If you are not sure I would advise against it. fyi o'douls sucks there a few that a much better. Also I only have a little over 5 months of sobriety. Hope I could help and best of wishes on your recovery.

ItsMe23 12-07-2010 08:56 PM

i thought about giving some a shot, im not 100 percent sure yet

LittleSparrow 12-07-2010 09:12 PM

I've asked myself the same thing, but I've decided to avoid it altogether. I'm trying to get away from beer, not trying to find a way to keep it in my life. Just don't see the point in tempting myself even with the taste when I'm working so hard to keep sober.

ItsMe23 12-07-2010 09:15 PM

My main issue is loving the taste of a cold one.

but at the same time when a cold one gives me that buzz i love its a one way ticket. I may give some na a shot, its been argues here a thousand times, different strokes for different folks

johndelko408 12-07-2010 10:00 PM

In my opinion the na beer just didn't cut it for me. It didn't satisfy my cravings for beer. It tastes like club soda with a splash of beer in it. Like I said it didn't satisfy my cravings and it just led me back to beer and drunk. Plus it still has small amounts of alcohol in it, so if your working a recovery program its still sort of a relapse. I'm in AA and I'm supposed to abstain completely from alcohol and other mind altering substances. I don't know if your working a program, I've been sober 11 months and I don't crave alcohol anymore, haven't for about 9 or so months. I was also a big mixed drink drinker so now I've been drinking a lot of cran and club with a twist of lime.

April999 12-08-2010 12:51 AM

I think for me it would lead to drinking real beer.

Untoxicated 12-08-2010 03:32 AM

To me it makes about as much sense as a coke addict doing lines of flour.

SSIL75 12-08-2010 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Untoxicated (Post 2790540)

that's kind of how I feel. I don't think it would make me relapse but I think it might stop me from really moving forward.

Untoxicated 12-08-2010 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by SSIL75 (Post 2790543)
that's kind of how I feel. I don't think it would make me relapse but I think it might stop me from really moving forward.

I feel ya.

There are some successful recovery folks on here that drink it and it doesn't bother them so it can be done.

For me, I'd probably be better off juggling chainsaws on a unicycle than drinking near beer. I had mentioned in another thread that I've tried several brands (during my drinking days) and I couldn't find one that I liked better than a diet cola - the alcohol was what I craved. It just seems like unnecessary torture at this point in my sobriety.

Different strokes for different folks indeed.

ItsMe23 12-08-2010 07:56 AM

That made me laugh for a second, thanks

yeahgr8 12-08-2010 08:33 AM

I like the flour analogy!

NA beer for an alchie...whenever this topic comes up i always have this image of walking in on a recovering heroin addict who is in the process of shooting up and them turning round and saying "Don't worry it's only saline!"...funny:-)

WatchTheSky 12-08-2010 08:39 AM

In a family member, I've seen the O'Douls slowly change back into "one real beer" with more O'Douls, then they all get replaced with real beer. From what I've heard, this happens to many people. I can't really relate because I wasn't much of a beer drinker, but I'm questioning whether or not I can put Irish cream in my coffee or get a virgin pina colada. I got a virgin pina colada once before I got sober (because I was underage and at a restaurant with family). It tasted good, but it did make me want rum, my drink of choice, very badly.

slipperyknot 12-08-2010 08:44 AM

That's funny! Thanks for the chuckle.

smacked 12-08-2010 08:47 AM

I don't flirt that closely with any of the addictions I have recovered from. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Dime 12-08-2010 10:10 AM

Personally I wouldn't touch the stuff. I visit a detox hospital weekly and get to hear patients stories. There have been many who tried NA beer and later found themselves drinking the real stuff in short order. Some people may be able to do it safely but why take a chance?