Notices

Opposite effect

Old 12-07-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opposite effect

So..i thought i would try something new this time around and went to see an addictions councelor today, but instead of leaving there feeling good and pumped up for my recovery, im feeling the complete opposite. listening to her talking about sobritety and lifestyle and never drinking again, has given me the urge to drink more than ever.

has that ever happened to anyone? its just not what i would have expected to happen, all i can think about is drinking now. im not going to, im going to just let it pass and hang out here for a bit. but its got me feeling kinda weak.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very common Vanilla.

Being uncomfortable, being exposed to something new that threatens your boundaries, feeling scared, overwhelmed - all these things made me want to drink. It's an instinctive reaction.

Good for you for not giving in to those instinctual thoughts.

I think if you go back again you'll get more comfortable and you'll be better able to judge the counselling experience on its merits

D
Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like she was a bad fit. I don't have an addicition counselor but I have had a therapist...you need to interview a few and find the right fit. I'm not saying someone who will only tell you what you want to hear but someone who can tell you the hard things without making you want to drink