Notices

Rum raisin ice cream... can we have it?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the opinions! I thought everyone would have the same answer, so this is interesting. I was surprised when I logged on this morning and saw 19 responses! It made me think about my reasons for wanting to eat rum ice cream. I remembered that I only ate it once! I believe it was cherry rum, not rum raisin, from a small ice cream stand in Michigan. It was delicious, but really my motivation for wanting the ice cream yesterday was just that I miss rum. It was my drink of choice and I was trying to find a way to get it back in my life. It would probably be best for me to choose from one of the many other ice cream flavors I love! I doubt the amount of alcohol would be a problem, but the memories would be.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi I have been wondering the same thing!

sherry trifle
beer-battered onion rings
baileys cheesecake

Am afraid it'll give me the "taste" for alcohol so I am going to pretend like I have an allergy (which I suppose I actually have!!).

Just had a mental image of myself in the kitchen in the middle of the night, armed with a straw, frantically sucking at the bowl of sherry trifle!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you thought it through WTS

D
Old 12-06-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hooligan

either way this sounds like it would be most delicious, could really go for some ice cream
Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There are two issues: (1) Would you be able to say you're sober if you ate it? (2) Is it a good idea to eat it? As to the first, this depends on how you define sobriety. Frankly I wouldn't worry about it too much but some folks might. The second issue is more important, at least to me. If you haven't had much time in recovery it's a good idea to stay away from any tastes which your brain might associate with alcohol. Alcohol free beer is a very good illustration of this. Once the brain gets a whiff of something it remembers from the old days, if it's anything like my brain it's like an old race horse getting a whiff of the racetrack. So even with 22 years under my belt I try to stay away from smelling things like scotch whiskey, bourbon, gin, etc. And I stay out of bars. I'm brty esry of Pavlov's Dog, if you get my meaning. No fruitcake for me this Xmas! And maybe not eggnog either, even without whiskey in it. That's O.K. since after one eggnog I would usually feel like not eating anything for the rest of the day.

W.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wpainter raises an interesting point about even avoiding a whiff of his DOC...I actually sneak sniffs when I visit my parents...before you jump to conclusions I do it Do reassure myself that it smells horrid....I don't even like to stand near someone who has been drinking...for some reason the smell of it sickens me...and this was my DOC. Umm sorry for the segue:-)

If rum was your DOC and you never ate rum flavored ice cream before I would say...no...don't eat it. I recommend haagen Dass peanut butter and chocolate instead:-)
Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Peanut butter & chocolate is so good! I unfortunately sneak sniffs when I'm around alcohol, which I probably shouldn't do because I still love it. I wish I could say I didn't but I would be lying!

...yeah, I'm probably not in the best place to eat/drink anything that reminds me of my DOC.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ice Cream

I would highly recommend Ben and Jerry's Brownie Batter, banana split, cake batter, and basically any ice cream from these guys other than the ones with alcohol names. I'm 10 days sober and ice cream kicks ass. thanks.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Ewwwwwwwwwwww! I wouldn't eat it, but wouldn't mind a bowl of Moose Tracks.

I remember in very early recovery going to dinner with friends and they ordered Bananas Foster (I think that was it). Flambed table side. Assured me the alcohol was cooked off. I had a little, teeny taste of it...and discreetly spit it in my napkin. Headed for the bathroom....rinsed my mouth and almost started bawling.

I could definitely taste the alcohol and knew it wasn't for me.

I was also VERY worried I had put my sobriety in peril. Even wondered if I should change my sobriety date.

I guess the bottom line is, I learned to not mess with it.

Like most have said, it is an individual thing. A learning experience, if you will.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

but really my motivation for wanting the ice cream yesterday was just that I miss rum.
Uhh, 'nuff said
Writing is pretty much on the wall on that one. Would have been a bad move.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Beer was my beverage of choice. LOVED beer, drank about 50+ a week.

There is non-alcoholic beer. Tastes like booze without the alcohol. That would be such a HUGE trigger that there is no way I could drink that and remain sober.

I personally extend that to my food and not eat/drink products flavored or that have alcohol in them.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by johndelko408 View Post
That reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld when George is demanding the apology from the guy working his 9th step.
Classic, lol...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eaUX...A3C42&index=73