Notices

I hate to admit this...

Old 12-09-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I spoke with someone today and I spoke of how I had drank recently and they said this "Okay, so you drank 2 days out of 9, this time drink 2 days out of 18." I felt like thi made sense. I don't know if it is a good mentality or not???
Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

That kind of thinking never worked for me because I never had that kind of control.

I might drink 2 days out of 18...or I might drink solidly for the next few months.

After the first drink? I never knew - and until I admitted that it was never really up to me what happened after that first drink, I was doomed to repeat my mistakes.

D
Old 12-09-2010, 06:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I know I tried the experiment...some days you are in control..but then..you go on a roll. I only tried it one time since I quit..reset my date and NEVER AGAIN..not sure how much a person can quit after walking on the other side again. The people that try to talk me into drinking again either don't care about me..or don't understand the severity of the problem. BUT you may be different. Only you know. Or are about to find out!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I should have said not sure how MANY TIMES a person can quit..not how much. My brain gets ahead of my typing sometimes.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I don't know how I feel about it. I honestly have no clue. The person that told me that wasnt encouraging my drinking- I suppose they were just trying to say make some progress.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:09 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Redhead84 View Post
Can you tell me a little about AA? I know it differs but.......I don't want to go because I just don't' want to look like a loser/failure.
It's been around since 1935, the AA Big Book (the book with "Alcoholics Anonymous" on the cover) was written in 1939. The book basically explains the difference between "problem drinking" and "alcoholism." From there, it centers on the alcoholic and explains what the founders of AA (Bill W and Dr. Bob S. + the first 100 recovered alcoholics in the program at the time the book was written) did to recover from their alcoholism.

Basically, AA meetings are just gatherings of ppl who have a problem with alcohol. Hopefully, there are also a lot of people who are working the AA program of recovery too - the 12 Steps, but that's not a requirement. AA doesn't require that you recover or work the 12-Step program. You're allowed to "keep coming back" and die an alcoholic death if you want to - although it's not suggested or recommended.

Some folks (at the meetings) are new, working on their recovery and are there to learn the program / find a sponsor to help them through the process......others are there because they've recovered but know that to keep their sobriety and continue to grow, they need to carry the message to the newer ppl (in addition to being "necessary".....carrying the message and helping newer folks is just plain fun).

Hope that helps.

.......and as for not wanting to look like a failure..... if you're a real alcoholic, booze will make you look that way whether you like it or not. (Layne Staley learned it the hard way)
Old 12-10-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bettterlife4me View Post
Hi I am a Dec newbie. Today is day 6 for me. Yes I have been tempted, have been confused, and not sure what I am doing.

I've been either drunk or hungover for 28 years so feel somewhat lost without alcohol in my life. I mean it's been my best friend (not really but it seemed that way) for so many years.

It will take time for us to learn to live sober. It took me 28 years to get to the point where I said "enough". I don't expect to naturally, suddenly, spring into sobriety and doubt you will either.

Stick around with us on SR. There are a lot of people here who understand where you are coming from, because we came from the same place.

Betterlife, I can relate. It's amazing, I could have typed your exact words. 27 years for me. Drunk, hungover, or thinking about my next drunk.

I am always so amazed at how similar our experiences with booze are.

All of us here are strangers (well, we start out as strangers) posting anonymously on an internet chatboard, yet I feel I have more in common with you people here than with anyone I know in "real" life.

Anyway, just wanted to share that.

Have a good sober day everyone,

-SD
Old 12-10-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 6yearsold View Post
I spoke with someone today and I spoke of how I had drank recently and they said this "Okay, so you drank 2 days out of 9, this time drink 2 days out of 18." I felt like thi made sense. I don't know if it is a good mentality or not???
If this was me. Im not saying its you, but if this was me and i was looking at myself. Id say that I was looking for a way to remain a baby and giving myself an excuse to fail because being a baby is so much more attractive and easy. Why wouldnt u want to be a baby and have alcohol make life better. take away all the hard stuff and make life easy again.

You stopped drinking for a reason. I would focus on that. Not excuses for failure. Good luck.