Notices

Still not me

Old 12-05-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still not me

It's my 13th day. I've been feeling the benefits of sobriety in many forms but there is one area that seems to be off a bit.

The crippling depression and self loathing are not nearly as acute but I was hoping that my "sharpness" of mind would come back. It still feels a little fuzzy in here.

I'm off the booze but still smoking a pack a day. I had quit for 8 years previously and started up again like a fool last year. I wonder if my body is just too saturated with toxins. Thinking about some sort of cleansing diet or something. I've cut out the pop and almost all of the garbage food. Carrots are my new best friends. Not added enough fruit to my diet though.

Does anybody have any experiences with this. Can I look forward to this getting better in the weeks to come?
Old 12-05-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It didn't take too long for my mind fuzziness to disappear, but I expect that you might still notice some improvement in the next few weeks.

I'm glad you're feeling better!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on 13 days! Give it some more time though...how long were you poisoning yourself? 13 days is a great accomplishment, still...you need to give your body a chance to recover.

Sound like you are really doin some great things with your diet.

To answer you question though..Yes. I know what you mean. Think it was a couple months before I noticed some sharpness come back.'

Hang in there...you're doin great.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, you can look forward to it improving... Hang in there... Eat right, exercise, sleep... All that.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm just getting my sharpness back at 87 days clean, but I was poisoning myself for a very long time. Everyday gets easier & the clarity you regain is worth all the initial pain. Hang tight.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 13 days. I can totally relate to the sharpness issue. Took me a good month or so. Sometimes, I still get a little brain freeze. Might be me though. lol Just keep on what your doing and you should see positive results. If you get concerned you should visit your Doctor. Never hurts.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cool

First off, before I say anything about recovering one's 'sharpness' of mind and losing one's 'fuzziness' of mind, let me just say a big CONGRATS for your first 13 days, Tendencies, and for your 87 days, SquareHead.....these are both amazing acomplishments!!

Now, folks have already said that it's hard to predict for anyone how long their 'fuzziness' of mind might last; for some it clears up quickly, while for others it takes a bit longer.

OK, now I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but often times, the 'fuzziness' may go, and clarity of mind returns only to lose it again down the road apiece (18-24 mo's...?).....BUT, not to worry, this is only a brief 'last gasp' of one's altered state.....at least this was my experience.....just didn't want you to get down to that 18-24 month time-frame, have your mind do some 'flip-flops,' and perhaps you think all this seobriety was for naught.....

Y'all keep on truckin' .... yer doin' gr8!!!

(o:
NoelleR
Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My experience...I still smoke but refuse to untip my halo all at once. But one time I quit for like 7 months and I remember my concentration went out the window. I was distracted all the time. And I started again when I was shooting pool drunker than a skunk. Figured I would be able to quit again..kind of like moderation in alcohol..dumb thought..real dumb. Now I want to quit again but I am giving myself some time. I guess what I am trying to say is I think I lost my fuzz after 1 to 2 weeks being sober. Some people only smoke when they drink. If I were like them I would be done smoking. I smoke drinking coffee. Driving. When I am happy. When I am sad. When I string lights..etc. I try to think positive..but fear I will have a much harder time giving up nicotine than I had giving up alcohol. It is my last stinking vice. I hate it. Bad.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tendencies

I drank for 20 years - the last seven or so I drank all day everyday - so it took me months, not weeks, to lose that *fuzziness*...but I did.

I don't think you can accelerate the process tho. Be careful with cleansing diets - I'm not a Dr but I know we can be all or nothing people... balance is better IMO...seems common sense to me not to be the best idea just yet to put too much on your body - it's been through a lot as it is...

Hang in there
D
Old 12-05-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like so many things in life it seems time and patience are key. Thanks for your insights. I guess abusing myself for years will require a similar effort taking care of myself for years.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tendencies,

Congrats on the 13 days! I am 21 days in and I am still experiencing brain fuzziness and memory issues. However, I do have some moments of real clarity, usually in the mornings which are nice. I expect things will improve over time.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Tendencies-- Congrats on 13 days.

It took me several months for my brain to stop feeling "fuzzy" after I quit. It also got a little worse before it got better, if you know what I mean, probably at its worst around 3 months and clearing up around 4.

I think it's different for everyone, so who knows what it will be in your case.

And I'll also say that despite the brain fog, BOY was it worth staying quit!!!