Notices

Working on one thing at a time

Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working on one thing at a time

So today I smoked my last cigarette. I am determined to stop because I want to feel healthy again.

I have planned it for about a week, which has helped to empower me. However, I am also freaked out about the fact that I also have other things to work on. Meaning, my weight (I am slightly obese) and working on my OCD.

I can't help but feel that my best option is to work on one problem at a time, and not worry so much about the others when I am trying to overcome one. I have humbly decided to work on my weight once I am over my smoking urges, but I feel overwhelmed about following traditional quit plans and such. I honestly feel that I will do better if I just not think so much about it and cross bridges as they come. I am a person who deals with things best when they arise, rather than anticipating them too much.

But I am really overwhelmed about having two primary problems: obesity and being a smoker. I feel the urge to tackle them both at once, but I know from experience that trying to do two things at once will result in neglect of the other. I would much rather dedicate myself to one thing and then worry about the other later. The problem is that I have a really hard time worrying about one thing at a time.

My therapist tells me to take one day at a time and worry most about my immediate problems. However, I am so self-conscious about my weight that it makes the 'one at a time' approach very difficult.

With things other than cigarettes, or cigarettes themselves, have you guys ran into the same concerns? If so, what did you do about it?