Notices

Burnt out!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Burnt out!

Not me, it's these doggone Christmas lights, lol.

So what does that have to do with alcohol? Well, nothing really, cept it been years since I decorated for the holidays and these lights are making me nuts, but I'm not drunk and that's amazing. That may seem trivial to many, but it feels like trying to rejoin the human race again by getting into the holiday spirit, which I was either too drunk or too hungover to do for many years. The change feels good and being outside at night looking at all the twinkling little lights somehow makes me feel connected, a part of the season instead of a drunk watching it all go by from the confines of my bar stool.

It's these burnt out lights that drive me nuts, but that's ok today because it's the lights and not me, so I guess I'll have to run to Wally World and pick up a few extra just to brighten up the place a bit more, lol.

The tree looks nice too, haven't had one of those in years either, and the cats think it's a new post to rub against. Hope the dogs don't think it need to be marked, lol.

Hang in there and keep your chin up.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Seems like you have upgraded your problems! Merry Christmas...
Old 12-04-2010, 12:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Awesome post.... I can appreciate things like Christmas music, Christmas shows (which I love) and all of the other things that the holidays bring. Heading back home to America in a couple weeks and I cannot wait.

I hated any and all holidays as an active drunk the last few years of my drinking, I wanted to be alone with my vodka, "rejoin the human race" well put, my experience as well.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post!

First time in ages I am decorating for the holidays...putting lights on tomorrow and a wreath for the door. Got a poinsettia and have taken out a few decorations...Nguyen buy a couple tomorrow as well. Have already done a little shopping...usually waited til last minute...I thought I was just a procrastinator, now I suspect something else!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Oh I can so relate! This year I decorated for Halloween. I just bought a light up tacky snowman for my lawn. I went and bought stupid matching PJ's for my kids for Christmas. I am finding joy in SO much 'lame' things. Real, healthy, guilt-free joy.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

It's not trivial, and it made me smile!

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

I've been marveling at the same thing! Have my tree up (which my dog DID mark, yuck!) and I've finished my shopping, full of joy that I can give these gifts!

And Ditto SSIL -- for so long I considered all this stuff totally "lame." It's nice to have normal feelings back and enjoy some wholesome fun. No joke!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Ok Firestorm.........you shamed me into doing all the Christmas decorating today. The house looks fabulous!

Old 12-04-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I use to do all the decorating
thing during my drinking days
mainly for the family and
especially for the kids.

Especially for the kids..!!!

Everything always looked
nice as i followed tradition
as a child.

When i got sober I continued
tradition wearing a clearer
pair of glasses and a new
sense of purpose.

The smells, sounds and
sights of the holidays were
bright and beautiful.

However....i got burnt out
as the kids grew and moved
on in their lives.

I too moved on and returned
to my roots and hometown
where i remarried after 25
yrs and have an awesome
new life riding passanger
on a Harley and have tats
and life is grande.

No regrets as i have a
simple fuss free, stress
free hoilday season
way of life today.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today was the day we started to put up the tree and decorate the house. For the first time in several years I'm thinking of putting lights up outdoors. It's a lot of work, and it's cold out, but what the heck, Christmas comes only once a year.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

..happy xmas firestorm..from the Oz from Oz..lol..

..take care..
Old 12-04-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was just thinking earlier about all the Christmas decorations I have shoved in a closet and the attic....who knows what all is even in there. I used to go ALL OUT on the decorations, but haven't done more than set out a candle in probably 5 years.

Maybe a good project for tomorrow will be to actually open the boxes in the closet (attic is too creepy) and put out a few things. If nothing else, I'm sure my kitten will love it!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bought a wreath today...hung my few decorations...made a clove covered orange....anyone else ever make those? I haven't done it since I was a kid but I was inspired today!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

do you mind posting how you do up the clove/orange tina? I would like to try it.

Firestorm it is good to hear what you are doing....me too...I got up early this am, I am cleaning the livingroom and putting up my small tree on a table...it's only 4 feet and artifical...(cats get too excited with a live model)...i bought these cool LED lights that run on a battery pack and dressed up my old artificial wreath on my new front door...the lights are on a timer and it is very uplifting to come home every night and see it lit up.

i did buy a mini live tree and have it on the coffee table...and plan to hang the kitties stockings on the fireplace too.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

firstorm , you always make me chuckle when I read your posts , you never ceast to amaze us ... you sure you not having a Grizwalds christmas moment ???? glad your decorating your tree and enjoying the moments ... huggles keep up the awesome work
Old 12-05-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am SO looking forward to decorating this year. I may even start today or tonight. Not being drunk is a novel concept LOL I like it!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What a great post FS Thx for sharing as I am just putting up my tree now and was thinking a bit of the same thing!!