Notices

Holiday "spirit"s...

Old 12-02-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
September 28th 2010...

Holiday "spirit"s...

Hi all!

I am still here and still thankfully sober - it's day 66 for me! YAY!!

My sobriety is not at risk, that's not why I'm posting. I want to know what to do about the delicate situation of alcohol in my *home*. My hubby and I are both sober now (he was never an alcoholic, but never was much of a drinker, and now abstains for me. ), and we will not serve or want alcohol in our home.

We have an "Christmas open house" during the day next Saturday, and don't expect many issues from that - I know I wouldn't have been drinking at a day party with kids around, and I'm a recovering alcoholic - but you never know - they may bring it as a gift?

As for the next weekend, it's our annual Christmas party - and only 2 people besides my hubby and I know about my alcoholism. I don't want to necessarily 'brand' myself, but I am also not ashamed of my recovery, and still do not want alcohol in my house for our party. It has always been a big part of the party (and for several years even *before* I developed a serious drinking problem, I was usually half cut at these parties before I could get the food on the table. Oy...)

So what to do? I have no issue letting these people know I am an alcoholic, but would hate to brand myself, or make them uncomfortable at a party if it's not necessary.

Do any of you have any ideas??

Please let me know, and thanks!!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Is there any way to let your guests know it'll be a 'dry' party at your house? If you're about to send out invitations maybe put that on the invite - This is a dry party: no alcohol. Is that an option? It may be an exercise in diplomacy but worth the effort to keep alcohol out of your home. After all, it is your home.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

I'm a big fan of the "it's none of your beeswax" option.

I also don't mind telling just about anyone that I'm an alcoholic, but I still like it to be the right time and place. A party isn't usually the place. And letting people know is a privilege, not an obligation.

I've noticed by and large that it's usually me who's most concerned about my not drinking; other people don't tend to care so much. In the three years of my trying to stay sober I think only a few people have ever asked "why?" when I said I'm not drinking.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

My house is a dry zone...but then everyone knows I'm in recovery, so I didn't have to mince my words...I'm not sure of the niceties when everyone doesn't know....

whats wrong with saying my husband and I no longer drink, our house is alcohol free, we ask you don't either ?

D
Old 12-02-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
September 28th 2010...

Thanks guys!!

I have already sent the invites - it just never ocurred to me that people may want to get hosed at a come & go that runs noon til 6pm - but my hubby brought it up. LOL! I am thinking I will tell them that we don't serve alcohol at our home. If they're rude enough to follow up, I will simply repeat myself. I really don't think it will come to that, however.

As for the party? It's a small group of close friends, a few family members and neighbors. The two that know are my best friend and hubby's aunt - and I am not worried about having to tell the others - but then again, I suspect that they already know I have a drinking problem and it won't come as too much of a surprise. I just don't want it to be an obstacle to having fun, KWIM?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
September 28th 2010...

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My house is a dry zone...but then everyone knows I'm in recovery, so I didn't have to mince my words...I'm not sure of the niceties when everyone doesn't know....

whats wrong with saying my husband and I no longer drink, our house is alcohol free, we ask you don't either ?

D
This one is more specific than mine. Do I need to be more specific? I figure if some people are rude enough to ask why and pester me about it, I don't want thenm to have 'ammunition' or have my recovery be gossip fodder. Some people also work with my hubby, and I don't want him to have issues at work because of a person's loud mouth.

I know I can't prevent everyone from knowing, but I detest letting people who are toxic know anything about me, LOL