Notices

Needing help (Again!)

Old 12-02-2010, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing help (Again!)

I am not sure if there is a limit to how many threads one can start on SR without annoying other readers, but just let me know if I am too overwhelming! Thanks!

Right now I am sitting in my office SOBER. This is unique and problematic at this very moment because I need to make a very important phone call to have a very serious and important conversation with a person who may think very highly of their self - and I do not feel worthy of talking to them. I’ve been making these very same calls “buzzed”. Now I am sober and this will be my first “serious” sales pitch in this state – the state of sobriety.

I have picked up the phone multiple times only to hang up. Truly the fear is crippling right now and I do not know what to do. I need to call this person. Do any of you have any guidance for me – I came here first because I don’t know what to do. How do I make this call. My self esteem is still missing and I don’t feel worthy of this person and I fear he will sense my low self worth and be dismissive of me. Sh*t. Please help.

:rotfxko
Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Just do it! Sounds simple.. and scary, I know. Imagine, however how much better you'll feel afterwards. Every little (and big) accomplishment I've made in my sober life, has only fueled me to keep on going.

Go do it, then check back in. You'll be great!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Absolutely, do it!

The only way through the fear, is to just deal with it. Make the call and next time it will be easier. Each hurdle will slowly improve your self-esteem.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

Maybe write down a few short notes to keep you focused when you call so you remember what you need to talk about. Just keep focused on the task at hand. Fear in these situations might creep back in but it's usually by choice that fear gets recycled over and over and starts to get out of control.

And you can do this. You might have been buzzed before, but it wasn't the alcohol that did the calling. It was you. Alcohol didn't make you more skillful in sales, it just made you less inhibited to use what you have. The best way to lower inhibitions without booze, I've found is just to not over think and just go on instinct/intuition.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do it! Just make the call and you will do fine. I also agree that each task etc we handle sober builds our confidence and self esteem.

I know for me much of my feeling good came in time because I needed the experience in this new life under my belt.

Make the call and come back and share. Routing for you!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Follow up!

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Just do it! Sounds simple.. and scary, I know. Imagine, however how much better you'll feel afterwards. Every little (and big) accomplishment I've made in my sober life, has only fueled me to keep on going.

Go do it, then check back in. You'll be great!
I DID IT! OHhhhh I feel better. Granted, I didnt get to speak with my guy rather his secretary - but I feel better!

Thanks for the words of encouragment!

XOXO
Aimee
Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kmber2010 View Post
You can do it! Just make the call and you will do fine. I also agree that each task etc we handle sober builds our confidence and self esteem.

I know for me much of my feeling good came in time because I needed the experience in this new life under my belt.

Make the call and come back and share. Routing for you!
I finally made the call. Spoke to his secretary. You're words are all correct.

PHEW
Old 12-02-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Aimee,
I know how hard that was. Wow, I am rooting for you.
Keep it up, you are doing great.
I dont think there is a limit on started threads.

Just do it!

Beth
Old 12-02-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
Maybe write down a few short notes to keep you focused when you call so you remember what you need to talk about. Just keep focused on the task at hand. Fear in these situations might creep back in but it's usually by choice that fear gets recycled over and over and starts to get out of control.

And you can do this. You might have been buzzed before, but it wasn't the alcohol that did the calling. It was you. Alcohol didn't make you more skillful in sales, it just made you less inhibited to use what you have. The best way to lower inhibitions without booze, I've found is just to not over think and just go on instinct/intuition.
I did the notes thing and that helped!

ps: I wasn't skillful when I was buzzzed either, but was able to dial - that was the extent of the "courage".

Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you did it Aimee - it will get easier from now on

D
Old 12-02-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you made the call - I often write notes too - ive actually been doing this since I was about 13 - talking to boys on the phone id have a list of things to talk about if there were uncomfortable silences LOL.

The only way to defeat fear is to face it.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to think I was the best at making sales calls when I was "buzzed". Looking back, I realize now that I really wasn't all that effective. I experienced the fear of making these calls once I was sober and it was very difficult. I'm now working on accepting the fact that I won't be perfect and just being myself on the call. Having some small successes early has helped with my confidence. Good luck.