Notices

My First Post

Old 12-02-2010, 08:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks Sparrow, I really needed to head something positive like that. My boyfriend has mentioned several times how he wants to cut back on his drinking, also so that is a positive.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rachel

There's a lot of members here who have partners who drink - it's not easy obviously, but I don't think it's a dealbreaker four sobriety either.

You have reasons why you want to quit - focus on those reasons - don't let whatever anyone else is doing sway you - they're not you.

You'll always find support here - 24/7

D
Old 12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by 6yearsold View Post
Well, I just wondered what it was like to be in romantic relationships with drinkrs one you became a non-drinker. I am open and honest with my significant other and he supports me. I was just curious as to how his drinking might affect me. Or my families drinking- it is the holidays and my family drinks alot.
Personally, early on in recovery, I needed to distance myself from those that choose to drink around me. Fortunately those that were close to me, like my girlfriend at the time, she refrained from drinking around me. See she wasn't an addict like myself, so not drinking around me was no problem for her.

Latter on in recovery, I have no problem being around those that are close to me that drink or drug for that matter. Those people are the types that do a little and stop. Unlike me, when I start, I carry on until the bitter end.

Anywho, keep active in your recovery plan. Keep active in your support systems...like here at SR and elsewhere...AA is it? And be well in you well-being efforts.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Day 3! I feel pretty good. I am nervous and anxious but I feel alright. Just an update. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 3 at work I found myself grouchy as all get out! Sheesh, I am slightly worried over tomorrow but... tomorrow is my first meeting. And, today I finally broke down and told my Momma about my attending habits and also my future attending habits for meetings. I even found that in Nashville we have a 'Last Call' meeting at Midnight every night except Sunday and Wednesday so that will be good for me and my schedual. I hope you all are feeling fine. Looking forward to touching base tomorrow night with yall. This has really kept me going and I have found so much encouragement and good advice here.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3... sounds like you are off to a good start:-)

Relationships..my family is in denial about my drinking...despite being sober for 5 months they still offered me wine at Thanksgiving...my sobriety means they Have to evaluate their relationships with alcohol which they don't want to do. I was not in a romantic relationship when.I got sober so that's a bridge I have yet to cross...I find the smell of alcohol repugnant now so I don't think I could date a real drinker...kissing would he yucky!

Good luck with your meeting...let us know how it goes!