Notices

The First Few Days

Old 11-30-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The First Few Days

I've joined this forum as I do want to quit. I've tried and failed in the past. I tend to give in, in a matter of days usually. I hate this feeling I have now. I don't feel at ease, and feel tight chested. I usually cannot rid of this unless I have a drink. I just cannot relax. I poured whatever I had left down the sink earlier today. I know I need to keep my mind occupied. I may watch a film. I continue to read peoples stories on here for inspiration.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

2 things come to mind. . .

First, have you sought medical advice and/or treatment? Not sure how heavy a drinker you are, but quitting with medical supervision is advisable.

Second, the first few days are full of anxiety in many ways. remind yourself why you are quitting and know that drinking is NOT an option. find other things to do to occupy yourself, seek treatment and relax the best you can.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Michael, I think the only way to get through those feelings is to sit with them and get through it. You can do it!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Michael
the first days are difficult - no question. Reading and posting here helped me a lot.

Try and stay in the day though - all you have to do today is stay sober. Worry about tomorrow or three days from now when it gets here

I think going to a meeting and connecting with a new network of sober people will help too

D
Old 11-30-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I've had panic attacks in the past during the first few days of sobriety. I know it sounds too simple but a nice big mug of hot tea does some good. As does a hot bath and a chat on the telephone with a favorite friend or family member. Or even watching a favorite TV show if you can. Also, if you're feeling jittery, try something with some sugar in it.
All my best to you!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The overwhelming anxiety in the first few sober days is what used to send me back to the bottle. No matter how anxious you feel, don't drink to calm it or you'll just start the vicious cycle over again. If you feel really bad please get medical help as withdrawal can be dangerous besides just very unpleasant. Please be safe. Get all the support you can and keep yourself busy. Rest as needed too and drink lots of fluids to flush out the toxins from the alcohol. But if you get to feeling pretty bad, please see a doctor.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum - I can relate to "caving" after a few days, too. The anxiety isn't fun, but like Anna said, just get through it (mine got so much better after about 3 days).

Also good: B vitamins. Eating helps with cravings, so treat yourself to something really appetizing. It gets better!:ghug3
Old 11-30-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, I feel for you. I'm on day seven but hanging on. I did the same thing, poured what I had left down the toilet. It's a good step.

Congrats on doing what's right and not what's easy.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your comments, I've just watched a movie and will stay on here for a bit till bed. I will be going my local AA meeting on Friday.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Michaelsviews!
Post back how you liked or disliked the meeting. I love my AA home group as much as my family here. Kind of a 1-2 punch. I am a tad over two months sober, and I remember how in the first few weeks that seemed unobtainable. And how mixed up and uncertain I was for a month or so. I can tell you this, my worst day sober is still waaaaaay beter than my best day drunk.

We are here for ya! Be here for yourself as well. Like a gym membership, you don't lose weight and buff up unless you go!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Something I've realized after going through a few anxiety attacks in the first few days is that part of why I was drinking was to avoid things I had anxiety about, but drinking always added to the anxiety ("why did I drink so much again?!" "what happened yesterday?!"). At least if I'm not drinking, I can start addressing the anxiety that was already there. Sometimes I have to just stop what I'm doing, take a few deep breaths, and know that I'm better off in the long run if I don't take that first drink. Other times, I treat myself to something that I know will relax me or take my mind off things for a while (like a cup of hot tea, a funny movie, playing my guitar). I hope you can find a few things that you enjoy so you can make those first few tough days a little more bearable, but definitely keep in mind why you want to stay sober. Maybe you can try thinking of the past times you've tried to quit not as failures but as practice runs. You know what didn't work, so try a new tactic. Wishing you the best of luck!
Old 12-01-2010, 03:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Exhaustion is a huge contributer of my anxiety and I found in early sobriety I was SO chronically exhausted after years of poor sleep from being drunk every night.

Just ride it out. Nice and easy. You're doing the right thing. Even when that voice in your head tells you it's not the right time. It is the right time! It's always a good time to take back control of your life