Notices

I need URGENT information!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need URGENT information!

I feel I might be developing Wernicke-Korsakoff (wet brain).

I am in a country right now where I cannot get medical attention.

I have been drinking a whole bottle of rum every night now for a few months.

I take a vitamin B1 pill every day, and have done so for 2 years. I thought the B1 prevented Wernicke-Korsakoff. But now I see my memory is getting really bad. Or maybe I am just getting old? How can I tell?

I bought injectable B1 yesterday and have given myself a shot today and yesterday. I am not vomiting, and I do eat healthy foods every day. But I feel very confused right now.

Last edited by Dee74; 12-01-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: by request
Old 11-30-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

You're not going to be able to get medical advice here I'm afraid.

What do you mean you can't get medical attention. Are you uninsured? There are ways around that, I think.

Can you reach out to your local AA chapter?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dazed123 View Post

I don't understand what you mean by being in a country where there's no medical attention?

Sounds like medical attention is exactly what you need.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. ****{hugs}}}
Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, we can't give medical advice here. A visit with a doctor (I'm sure there is one around who will see you) would provide the information you're looking for.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also, are you sure it's safe to be injecting anything?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dazed123 View Post
I have been drinking a whole bottle of rum every night now for a few months.
Drinking that much rum for an extended period will have a major effect on how the brain functions. I drank huge amounts of vodka and it had a major effect on my memory. After getting sober I discovered that my memory gradually returned. Why not try sobriety and see what happens?

Please make an effort and seek medical help.

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You really must find medical help.

We can't offer any advice here on what is happening with you, so please see a dr.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please see a doctor - no matter where you are there must be medical help available.

None of us are doctors here.
There are some things we cannot treat ourselves, dazed.

D
Old 11-30-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why can you not get medical attention? I am confused by this. Also, we cannot and will not give medical advice. To do so would break the rules as well as being a very dangerous thing to do. Is there AA where you are? If so I'd go to meetings and ask for help. The best way to help yourself is to stop drinking. But at the rate you've been drinking you may need medical help to stop without health risks.

Welcome to the family!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Again, you need professional medical help, no one here can advise what you should do.

However, if you want a stopgap, my skype/FB URL/and email are the same as my username. I would be more than happy to speak with you. Hell, I'll even give you my psn id: DubVMountaineers if you happen to play Call of Duty on playstation 3.

I am more than happy to chat with you if you want. I know how hard the first few days are.

I actually turned my phone and computer off during the first few days. I feel like that really helped me.

Either way, you know how to reach me. I, honestly, have relapsed multiple times, but am now 6 weeks sober. If I could get out of this region/friend "zone" I would be a lot better, but I'm stuck here for at least a little while.

Let's hope we both get some of these after a few months of sobriety.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What I mean by not being able to get medical attention is that I simply do not trust the doctors in the country where I am in to be honest. They would more than likely tell me ....oh ya, you are getting the ol wet brain.....just to scare me.

There are no AA meetings here in English so that is also not an option. I have read the Big Book in the past probably over 20 times and did quit once for a few months. But I realized one day I will never quit drinking and I should just learn to control it......but all of the sudden, over the last couple of weeks, I am starting to feel disoriented.

By the way, I am sober as I write this. I do not drink in the day time. I have always sobered up every day in my entire drinking carrier. But I plan to start drinking in a couple hours.....I am just worried now I might be losing my mind.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Again, you need to seek medical help.

And, I used to think that I 'sobered up' during the day when I didn't drink. It was only when I stopped drinking completely that I realized how ridiculous that was.

Please know that we are here to offer support, but you need medical help.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi dazed

our medical rules are pretty clear - the short version is do not ask for or give medical advice. The full version is here.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...al-advice.html

The correct place for medical advice is from a Dr.

Whether or not you have 'wet brain' or not now, it's a likely possibility if you keep drinking like you have been.

The progression of drinking is only ever one way in my experience.

D
Old 11-30-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So there is some rule here about no medical advice? I did not know that when I posted. Sorry if I broke the rules on my first post. I am thinking maybe I can hire an American doctor and pay by credit card, but I have no idea how to find someone like that. I just hope I do not die from sticking needles in my ass. Yesterday was the first time I ever stuck a needle in myself. There was not even an instruction manual so I hope I do not OD on vitamin B!

Last edited by dazed123; 11-30-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Typing mistake
Old 11-30-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

The US govt has guides on how/where to find medical help

http://travel.state.gov/

just enter your country - it may be a starting point anyway - IMO it's definitely better than injecting yourself with vit B and hoping for the best.

D
Old 11-30-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not sure where you are that there are no doctors you can trust. I am making an assumption that you are American based on the way you write. Can you get to an American consulate? They have always been incredibly helpful to me in foreign crisis situations. You must not give up hope that you can get sober...there is always hope.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What I mean by not being able to get medical attention is that I simply do not trust the doctors in the country where I am in to be honest. They would more than likely tell me ....oh ya, you are getting the ol wet brain.....just to scare me.
I'm here in the States and I don't trust the Doctors here. Besides, they'll probably just tell you to quit drinking. Duh!!! I never heard that before. If they try to scare you it means they know less about alcoholism than previously thought. You simply can't scare alcoholism.

There are no AA meetings here in English so that is also not an option. I have read the Big Book in the past probably over 20 times and did quit once for a few months. But I realized one day I will never quit drinking and I should just learn to control it......but all of the sudden, over the last couple of weeks, I am starting to feel disoriented.
What does AA Meetings have to do with quitting drinking? AA is a 12 step program involving a relationship with God and 12 steps toward a spiritual awakening. Meetings are place to go.

By the way, I am sober as I write this. I do not drink in the day time. I have always sobered up every day in my entire drinking carrier. But I plan to start drinking in a couple hours.....I am just worried now I might be losing my mind.
Change your plans. If you're truly an alcoholic, alcohol ingested will cause your body to want more. If you don't have alcohol in your system your physical dependence will be diminished. Try sitting on your hands.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

dazed123,

I'm sorry you're so scared. I think you have good reason to be. It seems like you're trying to find ways to control your alcoholism. I'm here to tell you, the only way to escape the bad results of alcohol is to not drink it.

I know that sounds very scary to you. It can be done. Did you know there's AA meetings online? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to that, maybe the mods can post one for us? (thanks, Carol/Dee!)

You know, we don't have to live like that, the fear and confusion. It scares me for you that you're so worried you're willing to stick needles into your body!

I think you've been given some good advice here. Do check out the American Embassy for referrals to medical help.

And do keep checking in with us. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Love,

Lenina
Old 11-30-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You know the old saying that one who represents himself in a court of law has a fool for a lawyer? When you treat yourself without medical training, especially in view of the conditions you describe, or if any of us advise you without being competent, qualified, and in person, well we are being foolish. I doubt any reputable doctor will treat you via the Internet or over the phone without bloodwork and one on one exams/tests.

I have lived out of country for 9 years of my life. 2 In Bogota Colombia at ages 5 and six, and seven in Europe as an adult. I hope you get help soon.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think this is the genuine article

Online Intergroup : Alcoholics Anonymous

D