Notices

Hey All

Old 11-30-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey All

Hey everyone. My name is Mikey, I am 22 from Liverpool. I've been drinking for around 5 years now. This last year I've realised I have a problem with it. I wish to quit as my health and appearance is not good. I've read a few threads on this forum, everyone seems so supportive so I decided to join. I am debating to visit my local AA meeting next time it is held. I just cannot continue to let alcohol control my life.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Michael, I wish I would have realized my problem when I was 22. Good for you, keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Micahel. There are lots of paths to sobriety, mine went through a 12 step group. It saved my life. Best wishes.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Michael!! You'll find a lot of great people on here.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hi Michael

Welcome to the site... glad you have made the decision to find support and join in on the site too.

I hope you do go along to your next AA meeting... if you want to get to one sooner... phone the AA helpline and they may be able to arrange for someone to take you to a meeting sooner... also you maybe able to meet someone to go with you.

Good luck and keep posting.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hi and welcome Michael!
Give AA a chance. You might really like it.
There is lots of great stuff to read here, and lots of great people to give advice!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there. I got sober at 23 and I'm from England. I'm Coming up 17 months sober in just over a week, 'One day at a time' of course. I'm an alcoholic. I use AA, SR and much wisdom from elsewhere in my daily recovery. I also used Mental health assistance on NHS to address stuff that I knew I needed to address when I was 9 months sober.

I think getting as much help as possible is essential as in the UK, as you know, booze is everywhere and a massive part of life, especially being young.

One thing is for sure and that's if you're an alcoholic then things will only get worse if you continue to take the first drink. I knew for me then the only outcome if I would have continued to drink would have been prison, homelessness, institution, death. That is because the nature of my drinking was in massive binges spent in blackout for large parts. For me then I knew that if I continued to drink then my life could only go one direction and that is downwards.

I have managed to rebuild my life piece by piece 'one day at a time' and all this is underpinned by my acceptance that I'm an alcoholic and addict and that the only drink/drug I have to stay away from is the first one 'just for today'. All the good stuff stems from that acceptance.

All The best man, peace.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mikey

Do follow through and go to that meeting. I hope it can be a turning point for you
You'll find a lot of support here too

D
Old 11-30-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for being so welcoming and supporting.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us Mikey, and I hope you do whatever it takes to get and stay sober.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Mikey! You'll find a lot of support and good information here. You're smart to stop drinking before it gets a stronger hold on you. And by stopping now you won't have years of regrets and bad memories when you get older.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Mikey - Alcohol controlled my life, too. It's hard to think of going without it, but I'm so glad I did. Keep posting and reading - everyone here really cares.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome.....seeing that 21 is the only way us americans can get booze (legally)....we don't realize we have problems until later.....glad you recognize ur condition now.....good luck guy
Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome..! Glad you found SR...check out the meeting too, they've been life changing for me!