Notices

Been awhile. And back.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been awhile. And back.

Well, it's been awhile since I visited SR.

I am back to re-try drying out again. Went to my first AA meeting yesterday, which was something I was trying to avoid doing a year ago. But shear personal willpower isn't/hasn't been enough, when generally speaking I am the only person who's admitted to being an alcoholic that I know!

I'm planning on attending as many meetings as I can. Last year I was sober for an amazing 5 days. A personal record.

I quit cigarettes, I quit weed, and now the A has to go. I'm putting my faith in the program. Nothing else has worked so here I go!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back Palemale, good luck this time around. Please keep posting and sharing to let us know how it's going.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. AA saved my life. I did 90 meetings in 90 days, and somewhere around day 75 the miracle happened and I realized in my heart and mind that i didn't HAVE to drink anymore. Keep coming back!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackNWA View Post
Welcome. AA saved my life. I did 90 meetings in 90 days, and somewhere around day 75 the miracle happened and I realized in my heart and mind that i didn't HAVE to drink anymore. Keep coming back!
I like that. Its gives me hope. Thank you
Old 11-30-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Imatryinhard - Thanks. It's just my story. I found a sponsor and worked the steps. Wasn't easy, but it pays off. Best wishes.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back PaleMale
Sounds like a good plan you have there - see you 'round the boards

D
Old 11-30-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back, PM. Glad you're not giving up.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome back PM!
It looks hopeful for you since you have decided to stop trying to do the same things over and over that didn't work expecting different results. I use AA and SR, and used a VA hospital to detox in hospital, as well as counseling etc. Like a good mechanic, you can never have too many tools in your toolbox. Great post bud! Made me feel gratitude for my great home group in AA and SR too.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ugh. Friday nights are my worst.

There are no meetings I can attend tonight, so wife and are are going to hit Black Swan... If I can make it 9 I'll have made it through my hardest trigger day. Wife has been a trooper and hasn't drank all week with me. She grew up with AA and alanon (her Mom) and wants to avoid the meetings. Which is fine by me as I want my privacy, as well.

If she can avoid it tonight as well, we should be good for the weekend! We're quite codee with each other, and have both quit the cigarettes with each others support, as well as fallen off the wagons.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back PaleMale.

I'm with ya, Friday's are very tough. I am Day 20 and if I make it through today (I don't take anything for granted) it will be my 3rd consecutive sober Friday.

I never thought I could do it.

I've done it by "playing my tape all the way through". I know what will happen after I take that first drink. Actually, I don't know what will happen, and therein lies the problem.

So this helps me avoid that first one. Also, I think of how good I am going to feel Sat morning without a hangover. And finally, I can still vividly remember how miserable I was after my last 3-day binge, which ended only 20 days ago.

These things have helped me get through the last two Fridays and I'm hoping they will get me through today.

All the best,

-SD
Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for your wishes and example! I'm only 3 days dry. I don't count my hangover day. Come Monday, I will have been sober for the longest time in my adult life. Looking forward to that.

Sleeping has been great. Weird dreams, but deep and restful. Wife is doing better as well. She has to take tryptophan's before bed, but they're working for her.

Black Swan doesn't open tonight, so we'll see Harry Potter again, instead.

Perhaps I'll go on SR chat tonight in lieu of a meeting.