Notices

Introduction/Question

Old 11-29-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction/Question

Hi all, I'm brand new to this forum today! This is my first post, do I sound like a noob yet? Ok, I've been doing drugs for almost half of my life and keep saying I want to stop. I won't go into the sordid details, but currently I'm on a Methadone maintenance program and using cocaine (snorting-non daily), drinking, weed but have not used heroin for 17 months or so. I've been listening to some AA speaker CD;s I found online and one guy hit it right on the head: I am missing the human connection that AA or NA provides. Here's the kicker: NA considers methadone a drug. How would I go about getting a support system in place? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hmm. I wish I knew exactly but I just wanted to get the ball rolling. I don't know how people in NA work, or what specific principles NA abides by. I have been doing AA for several years though and I know that we typically encourage people to go on benzodiazaprines (drugs with a similarity to alcohol) as a maintenance program to quit when prescribed by a doctor.

So I don't know if NA has a word one way or another, but I just wanted to say that in my lowly opinion if you're doing a maintenance detox then you are in a sober direction, and I'd encourage you to keep doing whatever it takes to quit.

So if you're up to the task I might just go to NA. I think you'll find people there who are sympathetic to what you're going through and happy to give you answers as to what that group has to say about a maintenance detox. You can also try the Substance Abuse forums here too.

That you're looking for a recovery program is in itself a pretty awesome step. Keep it up and let us know how it all goes.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in either AA or NA but I want to welcome you anyway

This is from na.org regarding methadone
http://www.na.org/?ID=bulletins-bull29

I'm sure our 12 step members know better than I do and will be along to share their experience.

D
Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I hope you find the support you need. I don't use AA/NA but I do find SR is a great resource.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi CYT and welcome!!

"There is only one requirement for membership, the DESIRE to stop using."
NA Basic Text 6th ed. Chapter 2, page 9: What is the Narcotics Anonymous Program

I'm working the NA steps and I have an NA sponsor, my program is NA. Please don't let the fact that you need methadone right now stop you from going to meetings or getting invloved. They will welcome you with open arms.

Good luck to you!